Best quality case without the bling?

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
I think the best bang for the buck would be a Its George 2x4. You can find them in the ForSale/Wanted for $200 or less. There hasn't been a new one made in nearly 15 years, so the ones you see are either new old stock, or used. The used ones seem to hold up well to abuse.

If you have the money, invest in a Jack Justis. I've seen old ones (tubes) for as low as $300.

Some new it's George cases were made a couple years ago. Mike Gulyassy was going to be the distributor but that all kind of fizzled out for some reason. Don't see many 2x4 It's George cases for less than $200 used. Acedonkeyace has a couple for sale right now and he wants $250+ for them.

If one like that's type of case then GTF is a great choice. The GTF KopyKat line is upholster grade vinyl and indistinguishable from leather, done in the Fellini style with hand finished ends for just $250 or maybe around $200 at Seyberts.

A decent JJ-Tube for $300 would be a good buy but they very rarely get that low. A good comparable case which still uses tubes are the Dennis Swift cases. Those are around 300+ new if I remember right and Dennis has a quite a variety of choices now.

Regarding the OP's request I don't think that there is much on the market that offer's more protection than our interiors in a top-loading case. That coupled with the other details we offer would make a pretty compelling bang-for-the-buck argument in favor of the variety of cases coming out of or designed by my shop.

This basic nylon case is fairly plane jane but it's pretty sporty as well, super tough and offers better protection than the brands you mentioned. That's just the facts. Of course how much protection a person needs for their cues depends a lot on how much care they are willing to take with their case. For most folks less than what we offer is enough as accidents that would damage a cue while it is inside the case are not everyday things.

For me, before becoming a case maker, I went to hundreds of tournaments before my (other brand) case was knocked off the table and the cue shot out of it. I probably laid my case on the corner of the pool table a hundred times before that accident occurred. Still it was a $1400 Schon that I LOVED and it cost me a bunch of money and a big hassle sending it back and forth from Germany to the USA to get it fixed.

So essentially I ended up fixing that problem by making the world's first padded interiors for top loading cue cases.

For me everything else is fluff. Looks are meaningless to me. That's all jut personal preference and some people like It's George's look, Fellini's look, Justis, Whitten, etc..... I just care about the part you can't see and make sure that part is protecting the cue as I think it should if you just spent a decent amount of your savings on it.

Because at one time, as an airman in the Air Force, I did spend a good chunk of my savings on my dream cue. And when the case failed me I rebuilt it to do what I thought it should do.

Thus I am sensitive to "bang-for-the-buck" discussion when protection is part of the discussion. Want to talk about beauty, prestige, reputation, collectibility, then we probably don't do so well against some other famous brands. Although by now we do have a decent portfolio of custom work to put into any beauty contest. ;-)

Anyway, that's my thoughts on value in cue cases.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
$175 for a vinyl case?

Wow.

It's 1200 denier nylon and engineered to be super tough. The price has nothing to do with the material used.

For example the "leather" cases being sold for $150 are really made of leather scraps that are ground up, mixed with glue and pressed into sheets with a cover of vinyl paint put on them.

Also $75 of the price is shipping and there isn't anything I can do about that. That's just the cost of moving it halfway around the Earth. I have to pay those rates when people send me stuff from their half of the world.

But as far as that goes quality costs money. Vinyl is a material with a wide range of quality and cost. The best of it is as good as leather and very pricey. Then once you decide to use it you have to know how to use it to play to the strengths and make up for the weaknesses. That's an art into itself.

When I first made Instroke cases my vinyl cases were selling for $500 each. This was 20 years ago. No one questioned the price because the cases were done in funky ways that were just what the customer wanted.

Anyway I could write a book on this and if I keep going it's going to be as long as one.

poolplayer2093

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Where the heck can you go to find JB Cases? I tried to search online and the website was no longer working.

Who carries them? Every case of his looks amazing, I just don't know where to see the selection and to buy one.

Thanks for any help......

EDIT: Scratch all that. I just found the website and it......is.......amazing! Now, I just have to figure out how to afford one. Lol.

http://www.jbcases.com/

Shoot him a PM. I bet he'll have one of his boys knock you one out from scratch! or maybe he'll pull one from the stock room

ridewiththewind

♥ Hippie Hustler ♥
Silver Member
You can't beat the protection in a JB case. Available in a wide range of price points, depending on the base material you prefer. You didn't say you wanted cheap, just great protection. The "Wave" cases are excellent, or you can get an unobtrusive, no bling, custom leather that will be built like a tank.
I own the "Chris" case by JB - it is awesome.

I'll second this! If you can afford one of John's leather cases, they are amazing! However, he does some pretty amazing stuff in a very high grade upholstery type vinyl...looks just like leather.

Best bang for the buck, would be a Sterling Wave case....2x5/3x4 config, IMHO. At first glance, it looks like a standard 2x4 case. But then one notices the extra space for either an additional shaft/butt...all in a footprint smaller than the standard 2x4 case. I believe they are available from Cuesight.com for $135. It's no secret that John's philosophy is cue protection first and foremost....and there is no exception with these.

Lisa