Best reasonable cost webcam for pool table?

acousticsguru

player/instructor
Silver Member
I rarely used 720px60 feature, as it creates files as large as 1080p, so I usually stay with 720px30. I've taped other people, and stepping through 1 frame at a time at 30 fps was sufficient.

FWIW, if you're doing editing I found it takes longer to process 1080p than 720p. Even as something simple as trimming a video and slapping on a title and credits, it can take all night to finalize, whereas in 720p I can turn the same length footage around in 1/4 the time.

Thanks so much! Seeing you own both, now that the Zi8 is no longer available, do you think the Zi10 with the smaller CMOS sensor is as good for the purpose (as mentioned earlier, our pool halls are rarely brightly lit)?

Greetings from Switzerland, David.

„J'ai gâché vingt ans de mes plus belles années au billard. Si c'était à refaire, je recommencerais.“ – Roger Conti

bral

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm pretty interested in this stuff too. (Recording training, matches) Not having a home table, portability is key but that makes for a challenge in terms of tradeoffs. I'm sure most would share my lack of desire for carrying extra bags around, so it would have to be small enough to at least fit in a larger cue case's accessory bag or one's pocket. Memory card slots for expansion, good battery life...but the real challenge from a compromise standpoint I would guess to be the lens and sensor size. Shooting in potentially dimly lit pool rooms, the dynamic range is going to be crazy.

I wonder too, if folks have trouble with the autofocus on these devices - do any of you ever have trouble with autofocus grabbing onto you as you walk by and causing a lack of focus on the balls on the table? Although I have to imagine depth of field with the standard lenses on these devices is such that focusing on the player vs. the table doesn't make much of a difference.

Branpureza, your linked videos look pretty solid. (As does your pool game!:thumbup:)

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
The zi10 is grainier when compared to the zi8. Maybe its because the edit process I have to convert mp4 format of the zi10 to mov, whereas zi8 is already saved in mov.

I bought my zi10 as a refurb for $55, so for the purpose of capturing pool its still a great deal. Also, the camera has a built in menu for editing videos, and comes with a HDMI cable adapter. So you don't need a computer to edit and show your video.

The next model I would consider buying would be a Canon Vixia HFS20, or a G10 which retails for $1300.

If anyone wants a zi10, you can get one here for $35
http://1saleaday.com/wireless/?CID=173477&AFID=178621

Thanks so much! Seeing you own both, now that the Zi8 is no longer available, do you think the Zi10 with the smaller CMOS sensor is as good for the purpose (as mentioned earlier, our pool halls are rarely brightly lit)?

„J'ai gâché vingt ans de mes plus belles années au billard. Si c'était à refaire, je recommencerais.“ – Roger Conti

Last edited:

acousticsguru

player/instructor
Silver Member
The zi10 is grainier when compared to the zi8. Maybe its because the edit process I have to convert mp4 format of the zi10 to mov, whereas zi8 is already saved in mov.

I bought my zi10 as a refurb for $55, so for the purpose of capturing pool its still a great deal. Also, the camera has a built in menu for editing videos, and comes with a HDMI cable adapter. So you don't need a computer to edit and show your video.

The next model I would consider buying would be a Canon Vixia HFS20, or a G10 which retails for $1300.

If anyone wants a zi10, you can get one here for $35
http://1saleaday.com/wireless/?CID=173477&AFID=178621

Thanks again! Curious: using a Mac, is there any difference playing back .mov or .mp4 files on e.g. QuickTime or VLC?

acousticsguru

player/instructor
Silver Member
GoPro HD Hero 2

Video quality said to be grainy in low light conditions?

DASHZNT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Video quality said to be grainy in low light conditions?

It shoots in full HD 1920x1080p and I haven't experienced anything like that from mine. I recommend you try it out for yourself before you listen to someone's negative viewpoint on a good product.

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
If you're looking for footage for a particular camera, Youtube is an excellent source.

lt1altered

I just tested my new GoPro HD Hero2 fastened to my cue stick with a roll bar mount this morning. I took this video on the lowest resolution option (WVGA-60) which is the 70 degree wide angle, 848x480 screen resolution. Just under 10 MB file.

http://youtu.be/Mmh6ZMIrVUA