Best Recovering Method for an Amateur?

jviss

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
@bradsh98 BTW, I wasn't referring to you or soliciting you to write a couple of paragraphs in my comments above, I was simply speculating.

jviss

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Did you watch the Zach Jonas video? Lay the cloth out like he does, (with the proper measurements for your cloth/table) and that should take care of the index for you. I like to add one more measurement, and mark the index from the edge of the pocket on the long sides so I pull it exactly there.
Thanks, yes, I found the video, haven't watched the whole thing through yet. He uses the glue method on thebbed, whereas I will be stapling; but regardless, lots of good info and technique in there.

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
First, it's not the cheapest cloth on can buy, but it's certainly much less than Simonis for a comparable worsted wool cloth. It's 80/20 wool/nylon. 860 is 90/10, 760 is 70/30, 860HR is 70/30, for reference.

Read this:

and this:

and this:

and this:
IT is for a FACT the cheapest cloth out there! I sell it and install it, so that is how I know.
For staple spacing, shoot for maybe 1" between staples. Use 1/4" leg staples.

Everything that you are asking for is included in the Simonis DVD's. I would highly recommend them, as they will provide clear and concise visual instruction. As you do the work yourself, you can even watch the instruction again and again, as you will learn more as you begin doing the work yourself. Written word will only take you so far.

When you are finished with the DVD's, you can easily sell them. However, if you don't want to buy the DVD's, Zach Jonas's Youtube videos are a reasonable alternative.

I will correct you here though, and insist that the rails are NOT simpler. In fact, to cover a rail properly requires a lot of experience. It took me maybe a couple of dozen tables to learn the proper techniques and skills to produce a nice, consistent, finished product. There are so many key details that make a huge impact:
The fit of the featherstrips, the length of the featherstrips, the cut angles at the ends of the featherstrips, marking the featherstrips before inserting them.. Also, the tricks that you can use to get the cloth to stay in place with an uneven featherstrip dado.. The tension on the cloth, as you insert the featherstrip.. The direction of pull, as you wrap the cloth under the cushion.. Where to place your first staple.. How to close off the pockets without wrinkles..

There are tricks for all of this, and these aren't even half of the details that produce a nice finished product. It's far more than just a couple of paragraphs.. In fact, there are books already written, which cover all of these things. There are also high quality DVD's which cover a basic set of techniques to produce a consistent finished product. Additionally, there is a ton of free information already available within this sub-forum, which covers all of the information that you are seeking.

I might have to side with Trent on this one... Since I have been the only 'expert' to offer support on your project, I kinda feel as though your sentiments may likely have been directed toward me.. I'm all for helping people.. And I will do so at my own free will... But, when someone acts as though I should be expected to just offer up my time and knowledge (free of charge), it tends to rub me wrong.. Especially if the information is already available in other areas, which require a fee to obtain.. Something that you must understand is that we in this business have spent years learning and honing our craft. We have invested not just time, but also money, in learning the details of this business, and how to continuously improve our skillset.. To freely provide all of this information to those who simply do not want to pay for information that is readily available is an incredible disservice to ourselves.

I am always happy to support, and to offer tips and advice along the way.. However, I will not simply write out a procedure for doing the work.

I wish you all the best, and I hope that your finished product meets your expectations. Though, I respectfully decline to offer any additional information. Despite that, I do hope to see photos of the finished result.. Not because I am hoping for your failure.. Quite the contrary; I hope that it's beautiful.

At this point, the best advice that I can offer: buy the DVD's.
you are for sure a gentleman. I would not share anything with this guy as I said. Good for you :)

TFT

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
I bought the Simonis DVD to learn to properly cover my table with Simonis. I did not buy the rail DVD because I was not going to attempt to do the rails, besides Josh covered them when he did my sub-rail modifications. Unfortunately that is where I ran into trouble. The measurement for the side pocket relief on the bed DVD is not correct for my GCI, apparently my GCI is considered an antique table which requires a different side pocket relief measurement, I found out after the fact that I would have discovered this information in the rail covering DVD, go figure. Even if I had purchased the rail DVD Im not so sure that I would have looked there to learn about my side pocket relief issue, especially since I didnt cover my rails.

jviss

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I bought the Simonis DVD to learn to properly cover my table with Simonis. I did not buy the rail DVD because I was not going to attempt to do the rails, besides Josh covered them when he did my sub-rail modifications. Unfortunately that is where I ran into trouble. The measurement for the side pocket relief on the bed DVD is not correct for my GCI, apparently my GCI is considered an antique table which requires a different side pocket relief measurement, I found out after the fact that I would have discovered this information in the rail covering DVD, go figure. Even if I had purchased the rail DVD Im not so sure that I would have looked there to learn about my side pocket relief issue, especially since I didnt cover my rails.
Thanks. Do you remember the details of the side pocket issue?

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
IT is for a FACT the cheapest cloth out there! I sell it and install it, so that is how I know.

you are for sure a gentleman. I would not share anything with this guy as I said. Good for you :)

TFT
IMO there is a BIG difference in 'cheap' vs. inexpensive. 'Cheap' carries the connotation of poor quality whereas inexpensive often does not. CPBA cloth doesn't cost as much as Simonis yet its still a very good cloth. Lot of high-profile events in Asia use this. So do lots of rooms over there.

jviss

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
IMO there is a BIG difference in 'cheap' vs. inexpensive. 'Cheap' carries the connotation of poor quality whereas inexpensive often does not. CPBA cloth doesn't cost as much as Simonis yet its still a very good cloth. Lot of high-profile events in Asia use this. So do lots of rooms over there.
Exactly this. I have samples of both now, a new set of CPBA Competition for a 9' table, and the existing Simonis 860 on my table, plus some scraps of same. I can tell you that the tightness of the weave is almost identical. The Simonis may weigh a bit more than CPBA. (I'm having a bit of difficulty calibrating fabric weight statements form both manufacturers, as they don't specify it sufficiently to compare.)

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
well this guy's entire purpose is this: how CHEAP can I get away with all of this and how much TIME he is willing to ask of others, is the proof. I install CPBA as a great alternative for room owners who are tight.

TFT

jviss

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
well this guy's entire purpose is this: how CHEAP can I get away with all of this and how much TIME he is willing to ask of others, is the proof. I install CPBA as a great alternative for room owners who are tight.

TFT
Cut it out, Trent, that's not true, and it's not helpful to continually malign me here, for no reason.