Best Shaft Cleaning Method

rhncue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am not sure what you are saying. is it that household ammonia works better than the alcohol and the eraser

The use of ammonia and a Magic Erasure does a much better job of cleaning a shaft than the use of alcohol and a Magic Erasure. Ammonia is a cleaning agent, alcohol is a disinfectant.

Dick

McChen

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The use of ammonia and a Magic Erasure does a much better job of cleaning a shaft than the use of alcohol and a Magic Erasure. Ammonia is a cleaning agent, alcohol is a disinfectant.

Dick

not sure i understand this....why can't alcohol be a cleaning agent? alcohol isn't just a disinfectant, it has many uses

aphelps1

Phelps Custom Cues
Silver Member
I use isopropyl alcohol that is 99%. Good stuff, but keep far away from an open flame.

Alan

waydee

Registered
If you want alcohol minus the water go to the hardware store paint section and get denatured alcohol,and yes amonia works well.

TC9Ball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
yes the ammonia cleaning solutions you buy has water in it. 100% ammonia is quite dangerous...the household stuff is about 5-10% ammonia
Save-A-Shaft Blue Cleaner from Lee at Brinnia is a Great cleaner. I use a little on a Magic eraser and have had great success with it. If the Shaft is really dirty, I lightly sand with 800, apply Cleaner with Magic eraser, (I do NOT spin the shaft, work it in with the grain), let it dry, then lightly sand(1500), seal(S4 from Tiger), and burnish. All most all of my customers don't like the wax.

jetlau3

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
S4 Tiger product

how is the S4 tiger product? How much do you need to use? I saw a small bottle on ozonebilliards for $12.

I just cleaned all my shafts using first magic eraser (water wrung dry), then wiped down with a soft cloth, burnished with parchment paper, and then burnished with leather...

is this enough or does the shaft now have to be sealed to protect it against moisture??

TC9Ball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think you will find that almost everyone will recommend that you use a sealer, along with burnishing it will help protect the shaft from moisture and dirt. The brand you use is a matter of personal preference, I like S-4 best, though I have used others I think S-4 is a notch above the rest.