Best use of a board

Double-Dave

Developing cue-addict
Silver Member
Hi guys,

I am hopefully finally getting some very special wood. It is a stable wood that can be
used uncored for forearms. The size I am hopefully getting is 24"x5"x2". What would
you consider the best way to cut it? I am thinking cut it in half, making it 12x5x2 (twice) and
then take of around 7/10th making it 12x5x1.3 and make that into 4 pieces 12x1.2x1.3.

That would give me 8 forearm size pieces and 2 slabs 12x5x0.6 for inlays and maybe point stock?
The wood is extremely hard to get and expensive so keep that in mind.

gr. Dave
 
Make sure you take into consideration the size of the saw blade. It's going to turn some of that wood into dust. Band saws eat less, but table saws cut straighter.
 
1.2" is cutting it pretty close and though it can be done, rather than trying for the most F/As out of it,
I'd first set my sights on grain orientation. Run-off in the F/A can be just as worrisome as it is in a shaft.
Coring can lessen this concern but I'm of a mind that not all woods should be cored.

2" thick to me is way oversize and produces a lot of waste but since it's already cut, it is what it is.
You may need it that thick however to orientate the grain. If all you get out of this board are 4 F/As
instead of 8, there is no loss. Those 4 now have much greater value than 8 that aren't cut correctly.

I personally don't like 'highly' figured wood, it can't be trusted. Coring it, well that's a different matter.
However, in coring, what are you taking away?
It could be that you're now compromising the hit you sought in the first place.

I don't know that I can advise further without seeing the wood.
When you get it, please post pics. I'm sure that others would like to see what you've got as well.

KJ
 
Hi guys,

I am hopefully finally getting some very special wood. It is a stable wood that can be
used uncored for forearms. The size I am hopefully getting is 24"x5"x2". What would
you consider the best way to cut it? I am thinking cut it in half, making it 12x5x2 (twice) and
then take of around 7/10th making it 12x5x1.3 and make that into 4 pieces 12x1.2x1.3.

That would give me 8 forearm size pieces and 2 slabs 12x5x0.6 for inlays and maybe point stock?
The wood is extremely hard to get and expensive so keep that in mind.

gr. Dave


I buy curly maple in a board similar to that. Set your band saw to cut 1 1/2 in and rip the board into full length strips. You will get 3 and a piece left over. Now turn each piece 90 deg and run them back through the band saw. You will get 3 full length 1 1/2 in square pieces and 3 strips for inlays.

You can take one of the 1 1/2 by 1 1/2 in pieces and cut it into a 1 in square piece full length. I use 1 in sq pieces for point stock. I get 4 points from a 1 in square by 10 in long piece. You have to know how to cut it.

Kim
 
Back
Top