Best wax to use for the shaft

PoolFan101

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hello ,

I posted this question in the main forum but was advised to ask here, I was asking of car wax such as a Mothers Carnauba was good enough to use on the shaft of my cue. I had used Q wax and liked it but I wanted to see what you guys recommend for a good wax to use. Thanks

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hello ,

I posted this question in the main forum but was advised to ask here, I was asking of car wax such as a Mothers Carnauba was good enough to use on the shaft of my cue. I had used Q wax and liked it but I wanted to see what you guys recommend for a good wax to use. Thanks
Didn't you get enuff answers to this?? Not rocket science. any good wax will work.

RickLafayette

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
aa.jpg

PoolFan101

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Didn't you get enuff answers to this?? Not rocket science. any good wax will work.
I did but a couple said to post this in the Cue maker section and see what they prefer to use. No it is not rocket science but someone may use something that you or I never thought about and had success with it. That is how we learn. Every body has a away of doing things. You might learn something new. No it is not Rocket science but then again neither is tip’s , shafts or Do I jump that ball using a Meucci or a Joss but we get tons of threads about those questions over and over and I have been known to post a tip thread or 2 myself.

R2PQZ

I did but a couple said to post this in the Cue maker section and see what they prefer to use. No it is not rocket science but someone may use something that you or I never thought about and had success with it. That is how we learn. Every body has a away of doing things. You might learn something new. No it is not Rocket science but then again neither is tip’s , shafts or Do I jump that ball using a Meucci or a Joss but we get tons of threads about those questions over and over and I have been known to post a tip thread or 2 myself.
I used Lincoln neutral shoe polish in the 80s. Now I never put any wax on the shafts I build. Shaft is sealed with sanding sealer then I burnish with an index card. Stroke with the grain until your hand gets too hot. Smooth as glass.

Dave-Kat

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ace hardware brown paper bag burnish .....better than wax that will gum up sooner or later I used to wax my shafts tried them all.

If you must have wax for slickness try the bag, get a glove, or use the best 'Renaissance wax' I use it on my Cue butts and my gun stocks and scales the best !

boogieman

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ping.
Ace hardware brown paper bag burnish .....better than wax that will gum up sooner or later I used to wax my shafts tried them all.

If you must have wax for slickness try the bag, get a glove, or use the best 'Renaissance wax' I use it on my Cue butts and my gun stocks and scales the best !
Paper towel tube will smoke a brown paper bag. Gotta try it to believe. Followed by RW for best results. Only a thin layer polished with soft cotton. Laundered old worn out underwear with holes works the best. Reduce, reuse, recycle! 🤣

Avoid the glue lines on the paper towel tube. Even with a lathe, you can't start a fire with a paper towel tube, just more burnishing the harder/longer you go.

Dave-Kat

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Paper towel tube will smoke a brown paper bag. Gotta try it to believe. Followed by RW for best results. Only a thin layer polished with soft cotton. Laundered old worn out underwear with holes works the best. Reduce, reuse, recycle! 🤣

Avoid the glue lines on the paper towel tube. Even with a lathe, you can't start a fire with a paper towel tube, just more burnishing the harder/longer you go.
Tried that when I got the jar 3 years ago....sure its nice after treatment but you have to stay on it or starts to get funky after play.... and yes with RW less is 'more' great stuff !

Have a nice day,
kat

Canadian cue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have tried a few different things. Shellac combined with wax works well, If you add the wax before the shellac sets it forms a different finish then when you put one on top of the other. The shellac sanding sealer is dewaxed shellac. The other things you can experiment with is cyanoacrylate, super thin works well. Another one is white glue watered down. Acrylic sealer, Polycrylic is also popular and works in a similar way as white glue. Experiment and decide what you like best.

Ed13

I have been using Lee Valley's microcrystalline Conservator's Wax on wooden shafts. Same formulation as Veritas Tool Wax at the same price. A very small amount on my fingertip using a nitrile glove is all I need. Much cheaper than the Renaissance Wax.