Better equipment, shafts, Tips, and Kamui Chalk, but the 526 RUN RECORDS Stands?

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
Precisely! So I wonder what's been stopping them?

Roger

Has anyone bothered to ask John Schmidt? I really wish he would chime in here and answer it for everyone, but I assume enough folks here know him well enough that the question must have been asked before.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, especially if they were on an 8' table shooting into 5" to 5-1/2" buckets.... LOL

57 years since the record was set...

Still plenty of loose 8' tables around...

Record still stands...

Lot's of great players armed with all the latest and greatest equipment...

You'd think by now someone would have run at least a thousand...

But... no.

Lou Figueroa

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Has anyone bothered to ask John Schmidt? I really wish he would chime in here and answer it for everyone, but I assume enough folks here know him well enough that the question must have been asked before.

I think John has opined in past threads. Something about him being tired about people saying he couldn't carry Mosconi's jock strap, if memory serves :)

Now just to clarify: I think John is a great player and if anyone has a chance to bust the record one day, I like John's chances.

Lou Figueroa

The Saw

Juicy Pop in 2016!
Silver Member
Precisely! So I wonder what's been stopping them?

Roger

I've said the following on here 3-4 times now in different threads: Someone has to have an 8' Sport King, Aniversary, or Centenial table from that era that they would be willing to let a top mechanic like RKC or Mark Gregory set up at the DCC. Since there is a dispute as to whether the pockets were 5" or 5-1/2", set it up with 5-1/4" corners, soft rails similar to the ones used in the 50's, slow nap cloth, balls from that period, etc... All of the top players are there, they could actually schedule exhibition type matches, and see what happens.... I'm sure Greg/Diamond would accomodate it if someone could make it happen with period equipment.

The Saw

Juicy Pop in 2016!
Silver Member
57 years since the record was set...

Still plenty of loose 8' tables around...

Record still stands...

Lot's of great players armed with all the latest and greatest equipment...

You'd think by now someone would have run at least a thousand...

But... no.

Lou Figueroa

#1. How many people play 14.1 now? Very few.....

#2. Plenty of those loose tables around??? As much as you travel and you say that?? I have been in well over 200 poolrooms, bars, and action spots, maybe upwards of 300... While loose 8'ers may have been very popular up through the 70's, the advent of the Gold Crown, Diamonds, Gabriels, Kim Steel, Olhausen, AND especially bar tables... have pushed most of those old 8'ers to the dump or homeowners basements. I've seen 8'ers from that period in maybe 20 spots (mostly in the south) and they weren't in areas where there are champion speed players.

Of all of the poolrooms here in Columbus there is only one that has any 8'ers.... Everywhere else has bar tables and 9'ers exclusively.

#3. When was the last time you seen a champion playing/practicing on an 8' table???

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've said the following on here 3-4 times now in different threads: Someone has to have an 8' Sport King, Aniversary, or Centenial table from that era that they would be willing to let a top mechanic like RKC or Mark Gregory set up at the DCC. Since there is a dispute as to whether the pockets were 5" or 5-1/2", set it up with 5-1/4" corners, soft rails similar to the ones used in the 50's, slow nap cloth, balls from that period, etc... All of the top players are there, they could actually schedule exhibition type matches, and see what happens.... I'm sure Greg/Diamond would accomodate it if someone could make it happen with period equipment.

And, since this appears to be so important to you: I'm sure you'll be willing to donate to finding such a table, shipping it to Indiana, and setting it up the the above specifications. Maybe you'll also come out and help record the attempts too. Or maybe (spelled: probably/most likely) you're just one of those guys with great ideas that someone else ends up having to pay for?

Lou Figueroa

Last edited:

Mr441

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Something that I;m not sure has been brought up here is that it's easier to scratch on an 8ft table with loose pockets. I've played on a couple, not sure of the exact pocket size, probably 5" and while it's easier to pocket balls, scratches definitely happen more often and it's easier to get stuck in a cluster of balls. I didn't run anymore on average than on a 9fter.

I think if the record is ever beaten it will be on a 9 ft table. Of course these arguments won't stop even then...there will be new arguments that Eufemia's 625 or Tom Parker's 642 are the marks to beat. If those are beaten it'll be Cranfields 768 that is the true record:D

For the record, I doubt it will happen. The 526 was in an exhibition not practice...big difference. If Hohmann or Ortmann (my picks for the best chance at beating it) were to approach 470-500 balls in front of a crowd of spectators the pressure would be enormous.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
#1. How many people play 14.1 now? Very few.....

#2. Plenty of those loose tables around??? As much as you travel and you say that?? I have been in well over 200 poolrooms, bars, and action spots, maybe upwards of 300... While loose 8'ers may have been very popular up through the 70's, the advent of the Gold Crown, Diamonds, Gabriels, Kim Steel, Olhausen, AND especially bar tables... have pushed most of those old 8'ers to the dump or homeowners basements. I've seen 8'ers from that period in maybe 20 spots (mostly in the south) and they weren't in areas where there are champion speed players.

Of all of the poolrooms here in Columbus there is only one that has any 8'ers.... Everywhere else has bar tables and 9'ers exclusively.

#3. When was the last time you seen a champion playing/practicing on an 8' table???

Lost of guys here on the East Coast and overseas. There are clubs and 14.1 leagues in Europe. I watched one guy from China or Taiwan play fabulous 14.1 at the 2000 event in NYC -- there's supposedly a whole army of them all over Asia that run 100s. And, there was a nice turnout of stone cold 14.1 killers at the recent DP "Not The World Championship" event.

Try almost any home room in America that has a pool table and guess what you're going to find? An 8 footer. (A loose 8 footer at that.) Go to any billiard supply store listed and what do they sell the most of? 8' tables. They're not hard to find, or get.

lol -- do you really think Mosconi spent anytime at all practicing on 8' footers?!

Lou Figueroa

Last edited:

The Saw

Juicy Pop in 2016!
Silver Member
And, since this appears to be so important to you: I'm sure you'll be willing to donate to finding such a table, shipping it to Indiana, and setting it up the the above specifications. Maybe you'll also come out and help record the attempts too. Or maybe (spelled: probably/most likely) you're just one of those guys with great ideas that someone else ends up having to pay for?

Lou Figueroa

Its an idea, not my intention and passion. 14.1 is a dinosaur of a game, there is a good reason that 10 ball and, more specifically, one pocket are the games that good players gamle at. Several peopl sponsor the one pocket and straight pool challenge at DCC every year, maybe someone would do the same for something that really matters and could really do something to set pool on fire? If someone broke the 526 record how much publicity could pool milk out of it? Seems like it would be worth a sponsor taking a financial risk to get and set the table up.... And I most likely won't be at DCC once again this year. Busy time of the year for me, I'll sit here at my desk doing what I do for 3-4 times what it normally pays.

Some advice.... Find a big sink, a laundry sink would be perfect size for this. Hold your left ear directly above the sink, insert a bottle of Massengill in your right ear, squeeze. You'll think much more clearly afterwards.

The Saw

Juicy Pop in 2016!
Silver Member
Lost of guys here on the East Coast and overseas. There are clubs and 14.1 leagues in Europe. I watched one guy from China or Taiwan play fabulous 14.1 at the 2000 event in NYC -- there's supposedly a whole army of them all over Asia that run 100s. And, there was a nice turnout of stone cold 14.1 killers at the recent DP "Not The World Championship" event.

Try almost any home room in America that has a pool table and guess what you're going to find? An 8 footer. (A loose 8 footer at that.) Go to any billiard supply store listed and what do they sell the most of? 8' tables. They're not hard to find, or get.

lol -- do you really think Mosconi spent anytime at all practicing on 8' footers?!

Lou Figueroa

14.1 is so dead here you have to bring Europe, Asia, and a guy from China or Taiwan into the discussion....

Yeah, you just agreed with my point... If you find an 8'er here chances its in someones home room (house).

Winning!!!

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Its an idea, not my intention and passion. 14.1 is a dinosaur of a game, there is a good reason that 10 ball and, more specifically, one pocket are the games that good players gamle at. Several peopl sponsor the one pocket and straight pool challenge at DCC every year, maybe someone would do the same for something that really matters and could really do something to set pool on fire? If someone broke the 526 record how much publicity could pool milk out of it? Seems like it would be worth a sponsor taking a financial risk to get and set the table up.... And I most likely won't be at DCC once again this year. Busy time of the year for me, I'll sit here at my desk doing what I do for 3-4 times what it normally pays.

Some advice.... Find a big sink, a laundry sink would be perfect size for this. Hold your left ear directly above the sink, insert a bottle of Massengill in your right ear, squeeze. You'll think much more clearly afterwards.

I guess I was wrong giving you the benefit of the doubt: big ideas, but *definitely* can't back them up. So sad :-(

Trout.

Lou Figueroa

Last edited:

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
14.1 is so dead here you have to bring Europe, Asia, and a guy from China or Taiwan into the discussion....

Yeah, you just agreed with my point... If you find an 8'er here chances its in someones home room (house).

Winning!!!

Played!!!

Trout.

Lou Figueroa

maxeypad2007

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Maybe i'm just jaded but I can't see how anyone in their right mind can't consider the differences in equipment.

I'd put the players of yesteryear (many of which I saw growing up) against the players of today for the cash. Alas, thats me talking out my ass because it can't happen :).

I'd love to see someone build a table like the one willie played on though and give John Schmidt a few tries at running out on it.

The Saw

Juicy Pop in 2016!
Silver Member
I see your point, but I believe there is one big problem with it. The nap cloth. Most of todays players might not even have ever played on it, while
Willie played on it everyday. A player would have to play on it for a while to get used to the differences in play on it. It's not something I think that can fully adjust to in a few hours practice. Some shots are very different on what you can or can't do with the cb.

I know what you're saying Neil... But champions adjust a lot quicker than mortals. Especially the ones who have spent time on the road and seen every condition known to pool, adjust quick or blow your dough. And most of them have booked time on some of that super slow rubber backed cloth....

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So you created an outright lie again???

Douche.

No lie.

And so, once again i can see you're done on this topic *with intelligent discussion in this thread.*

Lou Figueroa
that would still
make you a trout :)

Last edited:

PickPocket

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So the real question is what if....

What if, Mosconi was given modern equipment, time to warm up for months on a single perfectly leveled, heated table, quiet room, AC/Heating.. the works! then this would be an entirely different road...

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
What if, Mosconi was given modern equipment, time to warm up for months on a single perfectly leveled, heated table, quiet room, AC/Heating.. the works! then this would be an entirely different road...

We will never know Willie died September 12, 1993, but if there is a Pool Table where he is I am sure his is entertaining the other guests.