Big Apple Tourney-BLACKOUT in NYC

manlyshot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There is an electrical outage in New York City. I was just going to ask if there was anybody who lived in NYC who could inform us as to the outage, but then I realized they would not be able to use their computer now, would they?

ManlyShot

manlyshot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The players meeting is tonight, and the tournament begins tomorrow at 11:00 a.m. The news is as follows:

"In New York, the blackout affected subways, elevators and airports, including John F. Kennedy and LaGuardia airports. Thousands of people streamed into the streets of lower Manhattan in 90-degree heat.

"Top New York police officers gathered at the department's operations center downtown where the focus was on the ramifications of the blackout rather than its cause.

'''We're more concerned about getting the traffic lights running and making sure the city is OK than what caused it,'' a police spokesman said at the center. Bloomberg, on CNN, described New Yorkers as calm. He advised people to go home, open windows and drink liquids.

'''The good news is that in New York City, while we have lost all the power, Con Ed's facilities have shut down properly, which we have programmed them to do,' he said. ''We don't know when Con Ed can power up again but clearly it will take some time.'

"The Federal Aviation Administration instituted airport ground stops at Cleveland, Kennedy, LaGuardia and Newark, N.J. That meant planes from other cities heading to those four airports could not take off.

"However, air traffic control facilities had backup power, and planes already in the air could land at those airports, said Laura Brown, speaking for the FAA."

ManlyShot

Last edited:

manlyshot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It is now 11:00 p.m., EST. Kid Delicious attempted to get in NYC and had to turn around and go back to New Jersey.

Jarod Clowery and Ryan McCreesh couldn't drive in the city and are staying in Connecticut awaiting word.

Mike Davis, who was following Jarod and Ryan, lost track of them in the heavy traffic and is staying somewhere close by the city.

Cell phones aren't working properly. They have tried to reach the TD, but to no avail because of the inoperative cell phones. They are still hopeful to make the tournament beginning at 11:00 a.m. tomorrow.

ManlyShot

Big Dave

Pool Hack!!!
Silver Member
Is there any more news that you can give us on this topic please... Thanks in advance... Big Dave

twiztid_cue

Tweak!
Silver Member
well where in nyc is it being played. Staten Island is at 100% and most of the ctiy is at 50% or more power. 10 Mins out side of NYC where i live in jersey the power was back on everywhere at about 4 AM today. I don't sleep much

Big Dave

Pool Hack!!!
Silver Member
Thanks for the info PoolJunkie73 and Twizted!

THE FIRST MASTER BILLIARD BIG APPLE 9-BALL CHALLENGE
Queens, New York City, USA.
Fri/Sat/Sun 15/16/17 August 2003

It's at "Masters Billiards" in Queens!

I'm just interested because there are half a dozen UK Pro Tour players attending and I'm trying to follow the event (as much as possible) on the net! (I should have paid for a plane ticket! Candle lit dinner in NYC would have been fun!)

Last edited:
T

tim

Big Apple Challenge...

Any updates Mike...
Just curious to see if the tourney started on time...brackets...
Who didn't make it??
Thanks.

azhousepro

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
I just got off the phone with the tournament. They just did the draw and had approximately 90 players signed up. I should have the draw up in an hour or so.

Mike

bruin70

don't wannabe M0DERATOR
Silver Member
power is up already. everything will certainly be cool by tomorrow. newark was up last night. i would guess anyone coming in by land is alright. last night outgoing traffic was allowed but incoming wasn't.....but that was last night..
and STILL people figured a way into the city.

azhousepro

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
I just got the brackets. They have 92 players. I will have the brackets online by 4PM my time. (7pm on the East Coast)

Should have the first round of scores around 8PM EST.

Mike

azhousepro

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Almost all the first round results are now posted. There were 3 matches still being played when I was talking to them. Crosby will play Majid.

Kid Delic ran into Daryl Peach in the first round and took a beating.

Mike

br8knrun52

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey Mike,
I was looking at the brackets for the Big Apple Tourney....Do you know why Spanish Mike forfeited? Just wondering. Thanks.

manlyshot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am posting from Big Apple-NYC. The spirit of New York City was at its finest. They bounced back from the outage crisis, and you should see the champions. It is probably the highest-caliber tournament I have ever attended in person. If you live in the area, you do not want to miss this event.

I can see by the posts that AzB hasn't missed a beat as far as reporting who is in or out. I saw the Kid Delicious-Peach match, and this Peach fellow is one STRONG shooter. Keith McCready got knocked in the loser's bracket by Tony Robles last night with a score of 11 to 3. The winner of the Trump Marina 10-ball championship from Canada, Danny Hewitt (I think that is his name) was playing Mike Davis, and the score was 4-4. The winner's bracket races to 11. During the middle of his match, Danny excused himself and came back, attempted one fairly easy shot, missed it, and then unscrewed his stick, telling Mike Davis that he was not feeling well, and so he didn't play the rest of the match. Mike had just told a few folks on the rail, while waiting for Danny to return, that he, Mike Davis, wasn't playing as good as he would like, so this forfeit was one that was very much appreciated by Mike, who remains in the winner's bracket.

When not playing in matches, there are two tables set up alongside the venue room. The players practice by playing ring-game 9-ball. This is just as entertaining as the tournament, watching the likes of Johnny Archer, Alex the cutie pie from Canada, Jimmy Wetch, Jimmy Fusco, Nick Varner, Rodney Morris, and the list goes on and on.

Alexandra Dyer is running a first-class tournament, and every single player is having a wonderful time. Every seat in the house is taken at every table because there are so many champions in this venue that you will enjoy a good game, no matter where you plant yourself in the gallery.

The tournament got off to a late start because of players arriving late due to outage problems. Matches are being played as late as 2:00 a.m. in the morning and as early as 9:00 a.m., the next day; hence, why I am awake right now posting in the lobby of this hotel, killing time until an early a.m. match.

By the way, as of the date of this writing, not one $25 has been collected by the UPA. There is a UPA presence here, but it is extremely professional, friendly, and non-instrusive. Charlie Williams arrived only yesterday evening accompanied by the best woman in the world, his mother. 16 players were seeded from the start. I have to post here, in all honesty, the UPA presence has been a pleasant one.

Folks are talking about having a tournament next year here in Grand Central Station, and next month in October, there will be a large-money-added event at Amsterdam Billiards. New York City is my kind of place!

ManlyShot

Last edited:

br8knrun52

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey Manlyshot,
Thanks for the post! Hope you have the AC cranking! LOL. You should've tried to get in that ring 9 game. Please keep us posted. Thanks.

T

tim

Thanks Mike!! And thank you for your post Manlyshot...I look forward to your next update...