Biggest Score--But Could Have Been MUCH More (LONG)

Get_A_Grip

Truth Will Set You Free
Silver Member
Well...after my Sunday pool leagure....I'm on my way home and I stopped at a bar that I play pool at once in a while. There are only like 4-5 guys in the place.

I beat the bartendar 3 games in a row....and before the 3rd game ends -- two guys that were playing darts put money on the table. I beat the first guy without too much trouble....and now he's ready to leave.

As he's leaving...the other guy (an older white-haired guy with a long beard) starts to rack....and he asks me what I want to play for. I tell him, what do YOU want to play for? And he says, "$2000". I then look at him like he's NUTS...and he's just staring at me. I then asked the guy that he was playing darts withm (that now had his jacket on)..."is HE serious". And he says, "Yes".

I then ask the guy that was leaving, does he HAVE that much money with him...and he says, "Yes....he's a hustler...and don't play him for that much". So I'm thinking....great....I know I can beat like 90% of the players in bars....but nobody ever wants to play for real money in the bars that I go to....and now a guy is trying to hustle me for BIG money.

Conclusion is...I agree to play for $100 per game...8-ball. We put the money on the light...and the 1st game...I break and run the table. He then wants to play the 2nd game double-or-nothing. I tell him, that I'll only play for $100 again. We then post another $100 on the light. I win the 2nd game too after runing a few and leaving him in a lock-up safe. HE then accuses ME of being a hustler....and then says that he'll ONLY play for $20 a game for the next game.

I beat him the 3rd game....we then play for only $10 per game for he next 2 games...I win both of them....and he quits.

Conclusion is....I just made the biggest score of my life at $240....and I'm not sure WHAT IN THE HECK just happpend. It was fun....but I was never sure if the guy was just setting me up....or if I really had the better of it. (I guess he thought I did...and quit). Kind-of a weird and unexpected end of the night. Never thought that I'd be challenged to play for what was the biggest money I've ever played for tonight...and win!

(Just thought I'd share my "fun" and "interesting" evening)...;)
 
Last edited:
LOL

it can be a scary situation to play someone that you don't know in a bar of all places... You never know if you will get paid or make it out alive....

But normally those guys who talk about $2000 can't beat someone who plays pool regularly...
So the real question is... Did you win $240 or did you lose $1760?

:)
 
BPG24 said:
LOL

it can be a scary situation to play someone that you don't know in a bar of all places... You never know if you will get paid or make it out alive....

But normally those guys who talk about $2000 can't beat someone who plays pool regularly...
So the real question is... Did you win $240 or did you lose $1760?

:)

That is a REALLY good question. If fact, after I won the 2nd game...I was really starting to think if I just blew a chance at $2000!
 
How did he play? How many balls did he run? Etc... I had a similar sitiuation happen a couple of weeks ago. A buddy of mine and I were in a bar, and he spotted a guy that he said plays for money. Well my buddy asks if he wants to play me for some cash and the first thing the guy says is "$500 a rack 8 ball". I had never seen the guy play before so I convince him to play a race to 3 for $100 instead (My buddy kept telling me how good this guy played). After I win the first set he bumps the bet to $200. Then when I win that one, he swithces to $50. Long story short I end up like $450 winner...but it could have been a lot more if we would have agreed to the original nickel a game.
 
Get_A_Grip said:
Conclusion is...I agree to play for $100 per game...8-ball. We put the money on the light...and the 1st game...I break and run the table. He then wants to play the 2nd game double-or-nothing. I tell him, that I'll only play for $100 again. (Just thought I'd share my "fun" and "interesting" evening)...;)

that can be fun and scary all at the same time huh?!

the only thing I'll add is after winning the first game for a cecil....you WERE playing the next game for $100....not $200. You were playing on his money! :D Thats the funny way I look at playing by the game...when your up...it's $100 a game...when your down it's $200. That's how I look at it anyway.

well done!

G.
 
The poker stare down...

Gerry said:
that can be fun and scary all at the same time huh?!

the only thing I'll add is after winning the first game for a cecil....you WERE playing the next game for $100....not $200. You were playing on his money! :D Thats the funny way I look at playing by the game...when your up...it's $100 a game...when your down it's $200. That's how I look at it anyway.

well done!

G.

Yep, it was scary at the beginning....because it was like poker...I kept starring into his eyes, trying to figure out how confident he was -- and he didn't flinch at all...and just starred back.

What the deal was -- I think that he "could" have been a really good player -- but he was drunk. (I already had drank about 7-8 drinks too -- but I can play virtually the same speed until about 10 drinks) :D

I carry only $500 with me at all times, just in case someone wants to play for a little money. I will try anyone $20 per game -- at least until I figure out where we're at. Playing at $100 per game, is the absolute highest amount that I'd play for....so then I will have at least have 5 bullets to shoot.
 
Last edited:
Biggest scores in one day

$25,000.00 and $17,000.00. Biggest lose in a week $4,000.00
Wasn't playing pool.
Nick :)
 
I can't stop looking sideways at this one...

... biggest score ever... $240
... highest amount played for ever... $100/game,

YET... always carrys around $500... "just in case"...

AND... willing to play stranger on bar-box starting at $100/game
 
Shortside K said:
I can't stop looking sideways at this one...

... biggest score ever... $240
... highest amount played for ever... $100/game,

YET... always carrys around $500... "just in case"...

AND... willing to play stranger on bar-box starting at $100/game

Yep...it's a very rare case when anyone wants to play for money. Up until last night, the most anyone has been willing to play for is $20 per game.

EDIT: I should also point out...that obviously I'm not a big gambler...look-up my story from a year or so ago, when I got strong-armed for $13. That story sounded even stranger -- but that was the truth too. :)
 
Last edited:
You won $240 - you didn't lose $2000. The guy just wanted to high roll you to show off. If he was a stone cold hustler then he would have figured you for a low rent bet and just snapped you off for whatever you would lose.

A real hustler isn't going to high roll you like that and then agree to play $100 a game to sluff off a few.

It was just another case of too much testosterone and booze. Good score. I like snapping off the gas money guys too.
 
Biggest win: 10 million.
Biggest Loss: 9 million, nine hundred and ninety nine thousand, nine hundred and ninety nine dollars. He gave me a $1.00 jelly to catch a bus home.
 
sorry I was such a "Doubting Thomas"...

Get_A_Grip said:
Yep...it's a very rare case when anyone wants to play for money. Up until last night, the most anyone has been willing to play for is $20 per game.

EDIT: I should also point out...that obviously I'm not a big gambler...look-up my story from a year or so ago, when I got strong-armed for $13. That story sounded even stranger -- but that was the truth too. :)

I now believe what has been presented...
You seem sincere and are excited over what has just happened (and you should be).

Every once in awhile something like this happens to us all, and when its over we step back and ask ourselves, "Did that really happen?"

Congrats and good luck in your future billiards endevours.
 
Glad to hear you posted the $.

The other night my girlfriend and I went to a bar and played some cheap $5 a game doubles 8 ball and got paid no problem (we probably won maybe $25 each, enough for the bar tab, lol). A little while later she starts playing one of the guys $20 a game one on one. I was outside talking to some other friends when I see the guy she was playing head south. I walked back in to ask her what happened and she told me that the guy "left the $ in his car and that he would be back". I shook my head at her and told her that she should have posted the $ because he just stiffed her and that's exactly what ended up happening. In the end this ended up being a $60 lesson to her:( .
 
Back
Top