Billiard Membership Clubrooms - do they exist?

our_auctionguy

The Wall.....
Silver Member
Living in Boise, I find that the options for places to play is not the greatest. I pretty much quit going out for this reason. I was curious if anyone has ever been able to put together a True Membership based room similar to a private club, but open to the public for special tournaments, and possibly league play only.

It seems that a voting membership club could put together and maintain good equipment, and keep the payroll down by sharing duties of running the place and taking pride in it. Profits from table time, or F&B would go back to the operations and equipment instead of some owner's pocket who only cares about booze sales and profits and loud juke boxes.

A membership at a local poolroom here runs a cheap $75 month which is very reasonable if you play every weekend at a minimum. The problem is that you are treated as a second class citizen and can be booted from your table if the tables fill up with hourly players, which then makes your membership, kind of a waste. I want a place where members come first and Joe Public is second. Plus the rooms here don't take care of their tables any longer and teens run the place on the weekends.

It seems that for the $1000 /year a group of players could put together a decent room with enough tables to hold tournaments. Especially now that rooms are closing, quality used tables and equipment are cheaper.

Just an idea, because I am tired of handing over hard earned money to play on crappy tables in an atmosphere where pool is not the main attraction. Good idea or bad idea?
 
Last edited:
I too would be interested in this and have toyed with a few ideas but it always comes up short. Seems that there are not enough serious players. I figured some thing like $500 initiation fee and $50.00 a month dues (for heat, electric etc) with a club maintained by members. It could be started with used equipment and lots of sweat equity.

When I ask around there isn't much interest though we have a sportsman club, the Moose, the Elks, VFW, etc that are all capable of long term survival.

I can't quite get a handle on it except to think that perhaps such a club has a limited appeal to males or might be perceived as predominently male.

So for now its is an annual membership at the Moose where they have two seven footers and one annual tournament.
 
JoeW said:
I too would be interested in this and have toyed with a few ideas but it always comes up short. Seems that there are not enough serious players. I figured some thing like $500 initiation fee and $50.00 a month dues (for heat, electric etc) with a club maintained by members. It could be started with used equipment and lots of sweat equity.

When I ask around there isn't much interest though we have a sportsman club, the Moose, the Elks, VFW, etc that are all capable of long term survival.

I can't quite get a handle on it except to think that perhaps such a club has a limited appeal to males or might be perceived as predominently male.

So for now its is an annual membership at the Moose where they have two seven footers and one annual tournament.

The Moose is a good start because they actually have a national tournament annually. If you speak to some of the members there at your local hall, you might be able to start some interest in weekly tournaments, fixing up or upgrading the equipment, etc. You may not be the only one there thinking the same way.
 
ronhudson said:
The Moose is a good start because they actually have a national tournament annually. If you speak to some of the members there at your local hall, you might be able to start some interest in weekly tournaments, fixing up or upgrading the equipment, etc. You may not be the only one there thinking the same way.
I never thought of looking into the lodges, like the Moose Lodge. I may talk with some others to see if they would have any interest in putting a real club together. Anything would be better than what we have now.
 
Back
Top