Billiard University (BU) playing-ability-exam scores and ratings

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
any way to get a free diploma?
(like earning doctorate with honors or getting some new AZ-highscore in some discipline)

i would be happy with a pdf version which i can print out myself :)

The "electronic" diploma option (with a high-quality PDF suitable for printing) is $50! See the options here:

You still need to complete the application process per the info here: BU diploma application process.

Good luck!

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
any way to get a free diploma?
(like earning doctorate with honors or getting some new AZ-highscore in some discipline)

i would be happy with a pdf version which i can print out myself :)

The "electronic" diploma option (with a high-quality PDF suitable for printing) is $50! See the options here:

You still need to complete the application process per the info here: BU diploma application process.

Good luck!

If you or anybody else on AZB can post videos with a total score of 180+, I would be happy to send a free PDF "Doctorate of Pool With Honors" BU diploma.

It ain't easy and it takes a lot of skill, so I am happy to reward such excellence.

In the entire history of the Billiard University, and after all the Prize Money Challenges we've run, we've only had 3 people do it (see BU Alumni).

My current best is 179 (93 + 86), and that took a ton of work over many years. One of these days, I need to find that extra point, but they don't come easy at that level.

Good luck!

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Kanzzo on 9',4.2'',3.8'',0.94''
Exam I (76) F1 10 - F2 10 - F3 10 - F4 4 - F5 6 - F6 9 - F7 15 - F8 12

Thank you for posting.

After you also post an Exam II score and video, I'll add you to the list.

That's a good start, but you still have some work to do if you still hope to get that Doctorate with Honors.

Good luck!

kanzzo

hobby player
That's a good start, but you still have some work to do if you still hope to get that Doctorate with Honors.

Good luck!
just playing the test for one hour without giving up or breaking the cue is quite an accomplishment. Harder then I fought. 🙈

but I will get there.

Just wanted to get started and getting my score on the board :)

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Thank you for posting.

After you also post an Exam II score and video, I'll add you to the list.

Good luck!
just playing the test for one hour without giving up or breaking the cue is quite an accomplishment. Harder then I fought. 🙈

but I will get there.

Just wanted to get started and getting my score on the board :)

That's a great start. The Doctorate with Honors might be possible, but it will take some hard work.

I hope you can do it.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Here's the latest:

AZB Users Who Have Taken the BU Playing-Ability Exams (with top scores to date):

BU Score (Exam I + Exam II), Exam III, Exam IV - User - Table Size, corner pocket mouth, throat, shelf - Video Links:

183 (91 + D:92) - Side Pocket - 10', 4 7/8", 3 7/8", 1 1/2" - Exam I, Exam II
179 (93 + D:86), 52, 93 - dr_dave - 9', 5", 4 1/8", 1 1/2" - Exam I, Exam II, Exam III, Exam IV
178 (91 + D:87) - Ken Cileli - 9', 4 3/4", 4 1/8", 1 1/2" - Exam I, Exam II
170 (83 + D:87) - Marc Vidal Claramunt - 9', 4 1/8", 3 5/16", 1" - Exam I, Exam II
168 (80 + D:88) - Gerry Williams - 9', 4 1/2", 4", 1 7/8" - Exam I (part 1, part 2), Exam II (part 1, part 2, part 3)
164 (84 + D:80) - theUBC - 9', 4 1/2", 4 1/8", 1 3/4" - Exam I, Exam II
164 (79 + D:85) - Mark Gray - 9', 4 1/2", 4 1/2", 1 1/2" - Exam I, Exam II
161 (84 + D:77) - Shane Van Boening (1st attempt) - 9', 5", 3 7/8", 1 3/8" - Exam I, Exam II
161* (88 + M:73) - dr_dave - 8', 4 3/4", 4 1/8", 1 3/8" - Exam I, Exam II
160 (79 + D:81) - scottjen26 - 9', 4 1/2", 3 7/8", 1 1/2" - Exam I (part 1, part 2), Exam II (part 1, part 2, part 3)
157* (88 + M:69) - Neil - 7', 4 1/8", 2 7/8", 1 3/8" - Exam I (part 1, part 2), Exam II (part 1, part 2)
153 (82 + D:71), 45 - peppersauce - 9', 4 1/4", 3 7/8", 1 1/4" - Exam I, Exam II, Exam III
153 (76 + D:77) - Kanzzo - 9', 4.2", 3.8", 0.94" - Exam I, Exam II
148 (75 + D:73) - JeremiahGage - 9', 5", 4 1/8", 1 1/2" - Exam I, Exam II
146 (74 + D:72), 49, 89 - td873 - 9', 4.5", 3.75", 1.625" - Exam I, Exam II, Exam III, Exam IV
141 (70 + D:71) - 12squared - 9', 4 7/8", 4 1/8", 1 1/2"
136 (73 + D:63) - bowiebill - 9', 4 3/4", 4", 1 1/4"
135* (71 + M:64) - Mooneye - 7', 4 7/8", 4 1/8", 1 5/8" - Exam I, Exam II
132* (76 + M:56) - BRussell - 8', 5", 4 1/4", 1 1/2" - Exam I, Exam II
130 (64 + M:66) - sjharr - 9'
130 (63 + M:67) - StraightPoolIU - 9', 4 7/8", 4 1/8, 1 1/4"
129 (69 + M:60) - Spimp13
128 (64 + M:64) - PocketPooler - 9', 4 3/8", 3 5/8", 1 1/2" - Exam I (part 1, part 2), Exam II (part 1, part 2, part 3, part 4)
127 (67 + M:60) - Okie - 9', 4 3/4", 4", 1 1/2"
124 (71 + M:53) - StraightPoolIU - 9', 4 7/8", 4 1/8, 1 1/4"
124 (64 + M:60) - JC - 9', 4 7/16", 3 7/8", 1 3/8" - Exam I, Exam II
121* (63 + M:58) - TheOneGnat - 8', 4 1/2", 4", 1 5/8"
117 (53 + M:58) - RobMan - 9', 5", 4 1/4", 1 1/5"
114 (55 + M:59) - cleary - 9', 4 1/2", 3 7/8", 2" - Exam I, Exam II
113 (? + M:?) - Eagleshot - 9', 4 1/2, 4", 1 1/4" - PM
112* (61 + M:51) - gregcantrall - 8', 4 3/8", 4 1/8", 1"
111 (63 + M:48) - denwhit - 9', 4 5/8", 4 3/8", 1 1/4" - PM
110* (62 + M:48) - caff3in3 - 8'
108 (59 + M:49) - row21097 - 9', 4 1/2”, 4”, 1 1/2” - Exam I (part 1, part 2, part 3), Exam II (part 1, part 2, part 3)
108* (61 + M:47) - JFire - 7', 5", 4 1/8", 1 5/8"
106 (53 + M:53) - StraightPoolIU - 9', 4 7/8", 4 1/8, 1 1/4"
101* (59 + M:42) - 67tbird - 8', 4 1/4", 4", 1 1/2"
98* (58 + M:40) - kling&allen - 7', 5", 4 1/2", 1 5/8" - Exam 1, Exam 2
94 (57 + M:37) - BeiberLvr
92* (59 + M:33) - JFire - 7', 5", 4 1/8", 1 5/8"
91* (62 + M:29) - SeanChamp - 8', 4 1/2", 1 1/2"
90 (? + M:?) - EagleEye - 9', 5", 3 7/8", 1 3/8"
89 (56 + M:33) - mamics - 9', 4 5/8", 3 13/16", 1 1/4"
88 (? + B:?) - DrGonzo - 9', 4.5", 4", 1.5"
87 (49 + B:38), 30 - iusedtoberich - 9', 5 1/8", 4 1/8", 1 1/2" - Exam I, Exam II, Exam III
82 (57 + B:25) - krupa - 9', 4 3/4", 3 5/8", 1 1/4"
68 (35 + B:33) - icucybe - 9', 4 1/2", 3 /1/2", 1 3/4"
68 (44 + B:24) - pleforowicz - 9', 11.7cm, 9.2cm, 3.8cm
63 (41 + B:22) - SamLambert - 9' - Exams I and II

*: not on a 9' or larger table

NOTE - Other scores and videos can be found on the BU Alumni page (official BU graduates) and the BU Exam Challenge pages.

Last edited:

kanzzo

hobby player
not able to train today being away from home so were browsing through this long thread.

You asked a lot about opinions about the test, so I try to write something.

I like the test the way it is for what it is, but I don't think it represents quite the Player Ability.

The length of the test (40-50 min) and two parts which you can train and record independently is about perfect. Also the amount of balls to be played.

But what got me hooked what the 10.000$ challenge (I heard of it too late to get a good score in time before deadline) and the list on this site and the special diploma to earn. Doctorate with Honors is very special because only 3 people did it before, so this is the only one I am interested in.

Trying to give insight in my psychology I think last year challenge had the perfect prizes to get me intrigued. Being able to earn 3750$ for scoring 100 points is the right amount to get me motivated to train for hundreds of hours (with a big chance of scoring nothing). It's not some crazy life changing amount but it's big enough to get interested.

Spending 300-500 hours practicing for a price of something like 500$ seems ridiculously low and worthless and something like 10.000$ or more would attract to many cheaters (or pros like Hohmann or Appleton) which would severely diminish my chances to get first.

So to attract more players to finish in the 190+ range I would suggest a lifelong promotion/challenge rewarding a perfect score with a beautiful trophy (I like trophies in my pool room) and something like 1500$ prize money for each test (I and II) and perhaps an additional prize (5000$) and trophy for perfect 200). (Good chance you never have to pay out the prize and there should be 1500$ still left from the last year challenge. :))

So since being able to compare myself with other players, who tried the test over last 7 years and a chance to get perfect 200 are the things that motivate me most about this test, I don't want anything in this test changed (otherwise comparison with old tests wouldn't be possible).

kanzzo

hobby player
I like the test the way it is for what it is, but I don't think it represents quite the Player Ability.
I think its about 40% Playing Ability and 60% practicing explicit the drills from the test, sometimes with little use for your overall game. You still need to be a good player to be able to finish in the 180+ because it requires great stroke, feel and precision but if someone puts his mind to this test his high scores won't correlate that much with his overall playing ability.

kanzzo

hobby player
So since being able to compare myself with other players, who tried the test over last 7 years and a chance to get perfect 200 are the things that motivate me most about this test, I don't want anything in this test changed (otherwise comparison with old tests wouldn't be possible).

If I had to change / improve the test to better represent the player ability I would:

1. change break to 10-Ball from the box (with same requirements)
nobody plays 9-Ball with 1 on the footspot anymore since it's to easy to pocket the wingball with a tight rack. And if 9-Ball rack is put with the 9 on the footspot its tough if not impossible to pocket a ball without cutting the one and playing CB to the rail

2. less points for jumping and/or pocketing balls or dead combinations with a jump (never needed to jump/scratch in a pocket in a actual game :)

3. kicking drill is not measuring any skill at all, since it's possible to memorize 7 positions and refernce points just for the drill so I can score perfect 7 from 7 in this drill every time without having improved my actual kicking ability in a real game

4. stun shot drill and wheel drill would be a much better practice with a fixed CB position (like in target pool drill).
The situation in the game is you have to deal with 1 particular angle and have to get to different positions from there

5. in the bank shot drill balls 5-7 are basically the same. Tough thin hits with no chance of double kiss. So no extra knowledge required. And seldom needed in any pool game. (In one pocket it's sometimes better to hang this bank in the pocket than to actually pocket it.)

that's about all critique I can come up with :)

kanzzo

hobby player
To put it another way

in exam II the drills S1-5 and S8 are perfect the way they are and exam I is great.

The draw shot drill pointed to some huge flaws from my stroke, which I could work on. (especially last one from position 7).

Balls 6-10 from Wheel drill are great training for the stroke (definitely not required to get tougher by having to play from same spot).

Love the Target Pool drill. Think this one has the best correlation to the actual Player Ability.
(and probably a nice easy rule of thumb correlation to your test. You have the data to test this theory: just multiply the target pool drill score with 10 and you are getting close to what to expect from Exam I + Exam II. For example someone scoring constantly 19 out of 20 has very good chances to finish 180-190)

Last edited:

kanzzo

hobby player
Testing prediction quality of F8 for the whole test

DrDave F8-18 - total score 179
Ken Cileli F8-18 - total score 178
td873 F8-16 - total score 146 (think td can easily improve his score :)
Dave Gross F8-14 total score 141
row21097 F8-11 - total score 108
iusedtoberich F8-8 - total score 87

Last edited:

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
not able to train today being away from home so were browsing through this long thread.

You asked a lot about opinions about the test, so I try to write something.

The BU Exams do a good job rating player ability the first few times the exams are taken; but with lots of practice, many of the drills become a test of execution skills only.

The length of the test (40-50 min) and two parts which you can train and record independently is about perfect. Also the amount of balls to be played.

But what got me hooked what the 10.000$ challenge (I heard of it too late to get a good score in time before deadline) and the list on this site and the special diploma to earn. Doctorate with Honors is very special because only 3 people did it before, so this is the only one I am interested in.

Trying to give insight in my psychology I think last year challenge had the perfect prizes to get me intrigued. Being able to earn 3750$ for scoring 100 points is the right amount to get me motivated to train for hundreds of hours (with a big chance of scoring nothing). It's not some crazy life changing amount but it's big enough to get interested.

Spending 300-500 hours practicing for a price of something like 500$ seems ridiculously low and worthless and something like 10.000$ or more would attract to many cheaters (or pros like Hohmann or Appleton) which would severely diminish my chances to get first.

So to attract more players to finish in the 190+ range I would suggest a lifelong promotion/challenge rewarding a perfect score with a beautiful trophy (I like trophies in my pool room) and something like 1500$ prize money for each test (I and II) and perhaps an additional prize (5000$) and trophy for perfect 200). (Good chance you never have to pay out the prize and there should be 1500$ still left from the last year challenge. :))

I also find the prize-money Challenges and PR quests motivating, and these things have helped me dedicate lots of time to practice, which has really helped improve my game. FYI, we plan to continue to run money challenges every two years or so. I think the next one might be "Race to 100 in the RDS 100" (the scored version of BU Exam IV).

Thanks for all the input and feedback,
Dave

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
I think its about 40% Playing Ability and 60% practicing explicit the drills from the test, sometimes with little use for your overall game. You still need to be a good player to be able to finish in the 180+ because it requires great stroke, feel and precision but if someone puts his mind to this test his high scores won't correlate that much with his overall playing ability.

Agreed. Well-practiced BU Exam performance measure execution skills more than overall playing ability.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
If I had to change / improve the test to better represent the player ability I would:

1. change break to 10-Ball from the box (with same requirements)
nobody plays 9-Ball with 1 on the footspot anymore since it's to easy to pocket the wingball with a tight rack. And if 9-Ball rack is put with the 9 on the footspot its tough if not impossible to pocket a ball without cutting the one and playing CB to the rail

2. less points for jumping and/or pocketing balls or dead combinations with a jump (never needed to jump/scratch in a pocket in a actual game :)

3. kicking drill is not measuring any skill at all, since it's possible to memorize 7 positions and refernce points just for the drill so I can score perfect 7 from 7 in this drill every time without having improved my actual kicking ability in a real game

4. stun shot drill and wheel drill would be a much better practice with a fixed CB position (like in target pool drill).
The situation in the game is you have to deal with 1 particular angle and have to get to different positions from there

5. in the bank shot drill balls 5-7 are basically the same. Tough thin hits with no chance of double kiss. So no extra knowledge required. And seldom needed in any pool game. (In one pocket it's sometimes better to hang this bank in the pocket than to actually pocket it.)

that's about all critique I can come up with :)

Thanks again for all you input and feedback. All of these points are good. Although, as you point out, it is best to not make changes to a standard "late in the game." Also, I don't really consider any of the points you raise as major deficiencies.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
To put it another way

in exam II the drills S1-5 and S8 are perfect the way they are and exam I is great.

The draw shot drill pointed to some huge flaws from my stroke, which I could work on. (especially last one from position 7).

Balls 6-10 from Wheel drill are great training for the stroke (definitely not required to get tougher by having to play from same spot).

Love the Target Pool drill. Think this one has the best correlation to the actual Player Ability.
(and probably a nice easy rule of thumb correlation to your test. You have the data to test this theory: just multiply the target pool drill score with 10 and you are getting close to what to expect from Exam I + Exam II. For example someone scoring constantly 19 out of 20 has very good chances to finish 180-190)

Again, thanks for the input and feedback.

Even the Target Pool drill can become a pure test of execution ability. For example, I have figured out my optimal stroke length and tip position to use for every target. So for me, the drill is more a measure of stroke consistency than CB control knowledge and ability. But I still enjoy the challenge and the practice it gives me.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Dave Gross (Post 262) F8-14 total score 141
Ken Cileli F8-18 - total score 178
DrDave F8-18 - total score 179
row21097 F8-11 - total score 108
iusedtoberich F8-8 - total score 87
I guess your point is: Target Drill performance is a predictor of total BU Exam score.

kanzzo

hobby player
I think the next one might be "Race to 100 in the RDS 100" (the scored version of BU Exam IV).
hope you reconsider this or just do it as a side challenge :)
13 boring racks and then it all comes down to the spread at level 16 with your chances to run out 15 balls in rotation. This is something a pro player can accomplish with perfect score in one weekend (not something he can do this fast in Exam I+II)

so it would be much more boring to practice