Billiard University (BU) playing-ability-exam scores and ratings

kanzzo

hobby player
That Masters entry was from when I still had my 8' table, and I didn't qualify for the Doctorate, so it is legit.
your record is legit, no doubt about it. You have just outgrown it (now that you have other records and a Doctorate with Honors Diploma).

Records should be allowed to be broken. And with every regularar record it is.

But with your M:73 if I beat the record I shouldn't be playing it in first place since it is reserved for weaker players and if weaker player try to beat it, they are not able to because they are weaker.

It's a glitch in the system. When you got your M:73 you were already in a very sound Doctorate level but your rules said, you are not allowed to take doctorate test, since you play on a 8 foot table. Which makes it easier to score M:73 (than it would be on a tough 9 foot table). And now it is a record for eternity, since no better player is allowed to take the test? :unsure:

kanzzo

hobby player
If somebody is really serious about working on a pool diploma, they should purchase the BU Instructional Video series, where we show the best way to run everything and provide lots of technique advice and "Hot Tips" for scoring as high as possible on Exam I and all versions of Exam II. I don't want to give everything away for free. :oops:
I can remove my video from Youtube and you are free to get rich from selling the BU Instructional Video series. (You even earned something from me last August, since I wanted some tips on higher scoring in Exam I and bought some dvd from Vimeo).

But your pink M:73 should either be removed, when you reach your doctorate level or if someone beats your M:73.
the high score on the Bachelors Exam II is reserved for the people who qualify based on their Exam I score.
And with your ^^ rule I think it should be the former.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
your record is legit, no doubt about it. You have just outgrown it (now that you have other records and a Doctorate with Honors Diploma).

Records should be allowed to be broken. And with every regularar record it is.

But with your M:73 if I beat the record I shouldn't be playing it in first place since it is reserved for weaker players and if weaker player try to beat it, they are not able to because they are weaker.

It's a glitch in the system. When you got your M:73 you were already in a very sound Doctorate level but your rules said, you are not allowed to take doctorate test, since you play on a 8 foot table. Which makes it easier to score M:73 (than it would be on a tough 9 foot table). And now it is a record for eternity, since no better player is allowed to take the test? :unsure:
Some of your points are well taken, but any good player working on the Exams on a bar box or home 8' table (just like I did) can easily top my Masters-level Exam II score. In fact, you can also if you take the Masters version of Exam II on a table smaller than 9'.

Now get over it and get back to work on Exam I! :mad: :geek:

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
your pink M:73 should either be removed, when you reach your doctorate level or if someone beats your M:73.

If it is that important to you, find a bar box or 8' table, post videos and scores for Exam I and Exam II, and beat my Master Exam II score. Then you will also have an additional entry like me and your name will be in pink (instead of mine). You can also get back to work on Exam I and Exam II on your 9' table and beat all the scores on the board (Exam I, Exam II, and Total Score) and dominate all the pink.

Last edited:

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
If it is that important to you, find a bar box or 8' table, post videos and scores for Exam I and Exam II, and beat my Master Exam II score. Then you will also have an additional entry like me and your name will be in pink (instead of mine). You can also get back to work on Exam I and Exam II on your 9' table and beat all the scores (Exam I, Exam II, and Total Score) on the board and dominate all the pink.
And if you really want to dominate the board, also post an Exam I video with a Bachelor-level score (on any size table) and I'll add a new entry with your Bachelor-level Exam I and your Bachelor Exam II (with your good score of 48) and you can own the pink for that too!

kanzzo

hobby player
If it is that important to you, find a bar box or 8' table, post videos and scores for Exam I and Exam II, and beat my Master Exam II score. Then you will also have an additional entry like me and your name will be in pink (instead of mine). You can also get back to work on Exam I and Exam II on your 9' table and beat all the scores on the board (Exam I, Exam II, and Total Score) and dominate all the pink.
you make it sound like something bad :(

acutally, this is exactly my motivation. I spend hundreds of hours of training alone at the table for a remote chance to fight my way to the top of some list of some forum to get my score in pink. I find it exceptionally interesting, that something silly like this can motivate me that much.

Obviously there is the love for the game and I see, how I improve with every session and feel that it really improves my overall game. And the curiosity, if I can be the first to manage a perfect score in Exam I and II for the next BU challenge. Perhaps there is a trophy to be won for that accomplishment.

And if you really want to dominate the board, also post an Exam I video with a Bachelor-level score (on any size table) and I'll add a new entry with your Bachelor-level Exam I and your Bachelor Exam II (with your good score of 48) and you can own the pink for that too!

can do this :(
still think, a better rule would be one entry in the list per player and if someone qualifies for a higher level (like masters insted of bachelors) he loses his previous entry.

Last edited:

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
this is exactly my motivation. I spend hundreds of hours of training alone at the table for a remote chance to fight my way to the top of some list of some forum to get my score in pink. I find it exceptionally interesting, that something silly like this can motivate me that much.

I'm glad to hear it. I look forward to showing your name in pink (maybe in multiple places). Go for it!

if I can be the first to manage a perfect score in Exam I and II for the next BU challenge.

We will probably run another BU Exam Challenge with large money prizes next year. We usually run them every two years. We will probably feature Exam II. I will be going for the perfect score also. I think it is certainly possible with some dedicated and focused effort, even by a hacker like me (or you).

Perhaps there is a trophy to be won for that accomplishment.

We don't have trophies, but we usually have big money prizes, free diplomas, and swag.

kanzzo

hobby player
I'm glad to hear it. I look forward to showing your name in pink (maybe in multiple places). Go for it!

There is no such thing as talent or innate ability. Just the amount of deliberate practice someone puts in and his mindset (fixed or growth).

This is something the studies of Anders Ericsson have shown and is demonstrated by peak athletes all over the world.

The studies are mentioned in great detail and with great examples in the following books:
"Peak: How all of us can achieve extraordinary things" by Anders Ericsson und Robert Pool
"Outliers: The Story of Success" by Malcolm Gladwell or
"Bounce: Mozart, Federer, Picasso, Beckham, and the Science of Success" by Matthew Syed

for mindset:
"Mindset: The New Psychology of Success" by Carol S. Dweck

When I first tried the BU Exams last August I scored in low 50s, not really any better than someone like iusedtoberich. But I was never in doubt I can reach 90+ in any test, get Doctorate with Honors Diploma or win the next BU Challenge. Iusedtoberich on the other hand never bothered to improve his score, which was his first try to take the tests, as he mentions in the video (being pink and having record in his category probably played also some role).

Optimists are sometimes a little delusional about reality and it is still to be shown, that I can achieve the above goals. But it is also shown, that optimists are generally happier and achieve higher goals at the end being able to stay motivated for longer periods of time.

Last edited:

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
There is no such thing as talent or innate ability. Just the amount of deliberate practice someone puts in and his mindset (fixed or growth).

This is something the studies of Anders Ericsson have shown and is demonstrated by peak athletes all over the world.

The studies are mentioned in great detail and with great examples in the following books:
"Peak: How all of us can achieve extraordinary things" by Anders Ericsson und Robert Pool
"Outliers: The Story of Success" by Malcolm Gladwell or
"Bounce: Mozart, Federer, Picasso, Beckham, and the Science of Success" by Matthew Syed

for mindset:
"Mindset: The New Psychology of Success" by Carol S. Dweck

Here's another good one: "The Sports Gene" by David Epstein.

When I first tried the BU Exams last August I scored in low 50s, not really any better than someone like iusedtoberich. But I was never in doubt I can reach 90+ in any test, get Doctorate with Honors Diploma or win the next BU Challenge. Iusedtoberich on the other hand never bothered to improve his score, which was his first try to take the tests, as he mentions in the video (being pink and having record in his category probably played also some role).

Optimists are sometimes a little delusional about reality and it is still to be shown, that I can achieve the above goals. But it is also shown, that optimists are generally happier and achieve higher goals at the end being able to stay motivated for longer periods of time.

There is definitely a huge difference between a "first-time BU Exam score" (probably a better measure of actual playing ability) and a "well-practiced BU Exam score" (more a measure of dedication, hard work, and determination). Although, if you don't have good skills, you will not be able to score high, even after many attempts.

kanzzo

hobby player
I think I could eke out another 10 points with a little effort and consistency, but my new goal for the rest of the year is to beat the 9-ball ghost. Thanks for maintaining this challenge Dr. Dave.

doesn't always has to be either-or. Practicing drills and fixed 9-Ball runouts is possible against a ghost also, but has the benefit that you train and improve the layouts and positions, that give you most difficulties instead of relying on a good run and easy layouts to win your ghost match.

I failed like 20 times on the transition from 8 to the 9 on the following drill having to start all over again. (The 8 with a draw is tough on a 4 1/4 inch pocket :) - incredible how often it can rattle in the pocket.)

9Ball layout.JPG

So had the idea of trying to beat the ghost just on this layout...

Last edited:

kanzzo

hobby player
So had the idea of trying to beat the ghost just on this layout...
I was a little cruel to my ghost. Hope I can still get action from his ghost buddies in the future. Started with 10 ahead and extended to 15 ahead after one of my favorite songs started playing on the radio. After trailing 2-1 initially Ghost lost 14 games in a row for a final score of 16-1.

kanzzo

hobby player

101 (49 + B:52)

After just around 70 tries finished Bachelors in 3 digits with 52 points in Exam II (perfect score except for 9-Ball break).

Exam I (49): F1:6, F2:8, F3:6, F4:2, F5:4, F6:6, F7:11, F8:6

Exam II (B:52): S1:4, S2:7, S3:10, S4:10, S5:6, S6:3, S7:3, S8:3, S9:3, S10:3

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
I was a little cruel to my ghost. Hope I can still get action from his ghost buddies in the future. Started with 10 ahead and extended to 15 ahead after one of my favorite songs started playing on the radio. After trailing 2-1 initially Ghost lost 14 games in a row for a final score of 16-1.

Nice shooting.

How about this for a new Challenge:
Attempt to shut out the ghost on each of the 18 9-ball and 8-ball layouts in the 3 versions of Exam II. That's 18 consecutive "placement pool" runs with no misses in 108 shots. That might be a fun and educational challenge. Maybe I'll create a new Challenge for this with some merchandise prizes. What do you think? Are you game?

Last edited:

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
101 (49 + B:52)

After just around 70 tries finished Bachelors in 3 digits with 52 points in Exam II (perfect score except for 9-Ball break).

Exam I (49): F1:6, F2:8, F3:6, F4:2, F5:4, F6:6, F7:11, F8:6

Exam II (B:52): S1:4, S2:7, S3:10, S4:10, S5:6, S6:3, S7:3, S8:3, S9:3, S10:3

Good job. 2 points from perfection on the Bachelors Exam II is strong. Welcome to the board and to pink status! FYI, I used your pocket measurements from the TDF thread. Is that correct?

Now it's time to post your best possible Exam I score for a Doctorate with Honors entry!

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Here's the latest:

AZB Users Who Have Taken the BU Playing-Ability Exams (with top scores to date):

BU Score (Exam I + Exam II), Exam III, Exam IV - User - Table Size, corner pocket mouth, throat, shelf - Video Links:

183 (91 + D:92) - Side Pocket - 10', 4 7/8", 3 7/8", 1 1/2" - Exam I, Exam II
181 (93 + D:88), 52, 93 - dr_dave - 9', 5", 4 1/8", 1 1/2" - Exam I, Exam II, Exam III, Exam IV
178 (91 + D:87) - Ken Cileli - 9', 4 3/4", 4 1/8", 1 1/2" - Exam I, Exam II
170 (83 + D:87) - Marc Vidal Claramunt - 9', 4 1/8", 3 5/16", 1" - Exam I, Exam II
168 (80 + D:88) - Gerry Williams - 9', 4 1/2", 4", 1 7/8" - Exam I (part 1, part 2), Exam II (part 1, part 2, part 3)
165 (76 + D:89) - Kanzzo - 9', 4 1/4", 3 5/8'', 1'' - Exam I, Exam II
164 (84 + D:80) - theUBC - 9', 4 1/2", 4 1/8", 1 3/4" - Exam I, Exam II
164 (79 + D:85) - Mark Gray (1st attempt) - 9', 4 1/2", 4 1/2", 1 1/2" - Exam I, Exam II
161 (84 + D:77) - Shane Van Boening (1st attempt) - 9', 5", 3 7/8", 1 3/8" - Exam I, Exam II
161* (88 + M:73) - dr_dave - 8', 4 3/4", 4 1/8", 1 3/8" - Exam I, Exam II
160 (79 + D:81) - scottjen26 - 9', 4 1/2", 3 7/8", 1 1/2" - Exam I (part 1, part 2), Exam II (part 1, part 2, part 3)
157* (88 + M:69) - Neil - 7', 4 1/8", 2 7/8", 1 3/8" - Exam I (part 1, part 2), Exam II (part 1, part 2)
153 (82 + D:71), 45 - peppersauce - 9', 4 1/4", 3 7/8", 1 1/4" - Exam I, Exam II, Exam III
148 (75 + D:73) - JeremiahGage - 9', 5", 4 1/8", 1 1/2" - Exam I, Exam II
146 (74 + D:72), 49, 89 - td873 - 9', 4.5", 3.75", 1.625" - Exam I, Exam II, Exam III, Exam IV
141 (70 + D:71) - 12squared - 9', 4 7/8", 4 1/8", 1 1/2"
136 (73 + D:63) - bowiebill - 9', 4 3/4", 4", 1 1/4"
135* (71 + M:64) - Mooneye - 7', 4 7/8", 4 1/8", 1 5/8" - Exam I, Exam II
132* (76 + M:56) - BRussell - 8', 5", 4 1/4", 1 1/2" - Exam I, Exam II
130 (64 + M:66) - sjharr - 9'
130 (63 + M:67) - StraightPoolIU - 9', 4 7/8", 4 1/8, 1 1/4"
129 (69 + M:60) - Spimp13
128 (64 + M:64) - PocketPooler - 9', 4 3/8", 3 5/8", 1 1/2" - Exam I (part 1, part 2), Exam II (part 1, part 2, part 3, part 4)
127 (67 + M:60) - Okie - 9', 4 3/4", 4", 1 1/2"
124 (71 + M:53) - StraightPoolIU - 9', 4 7/8", 4 1/8, 1 1/4"
124 (64 + M:60) - JC - 9', 4 7/16", 3 7/8", 1 3/8" - Exam I, Exam II
121* (63 + M:58) - TheOneGnat - 8', 4 1/2", 4", 1 5/8"
117 (53 + M:58) - RobMan - 9', 5", 4 1/4", 1 1/5"
114 (55 + M:59) - cleary - 9', 4 1/2", 3 7/8", 2" - Exam I, Exam II
113 (? + M:?) - Eagleshot - 9', 4 1/2, 4", 1 1/4" - PM
112* (61 + M:51) - gregcantrall - 8', 4 3/8", 4 1/8", 1"
111 (63 + M:48) - denwhit - 9', 4 5/8", 4 3/8", 1 1/4" - PM
111* (63+ M:48) - kling&allen - 7', 5", 4 1/2", 1 5/8" - Exam I, Exam II
110* (62 + M:48) - caff3in3 - 8'
108 (59 + M:49) - row21097 - 9', 4 1/2”, 4”, 1 1/2” - Exam I (part 1, part 2, part 3), Exam II (part 1, part 2, part 3)
108* (61 + M:47) - JFire - 7', 5", 4 1/8", 1 5/8"
106 (53 + M:53) - StraightPoolIU - 9', 4 7/8", 4 1/8, 1 1/4"
101 (49 + B:52) - kanzzo - 9', 4 1/4", 3 5/8", 1" - Exam I, Exam II
101* (59 + M:42) - 67tbird - 8', 4 1/4", 4", 1 1/2"
94 (57 + M:37) - BeiberLvr
92* (59 + M:33) - JFire - 7', 5", 4 1/8", 1 5/8"
91* (62 + M:29) - SeanChamp - 8', 4 1/2", 1 1/2"
90 (? + M:?) - EagleEye - 9', 5", 3 7/8", 1 3/8"
89 (56 + M:33) - mamics - 9', 4 5/8", 3 13/16", 1 1/4"
88 (? + B:?) - DrGonzo - 9', 4.5", 4", 1.5"
87 (49 + B:38), 30 - iusedtoberich - 9', 5 1/8", 4 1/8", 1 1/2" - Exam I, Exam II, Exam III
82 (57 + B:25) - krupa - 9', 4 3/4", 3 5/8", 1 1/4"
68 (35 + B:33) - icucybe - 9', 4 1/2", 3 /1/2", 1 3/4"
68 (44 + B:24) - pleforowicz - 9', 11.7cm, 9.2cm, 3.8cm
63 (41 + B:22) - SamLambert - 9' - Exams I and II

*: not on a 9' or larger table

NOTE - Other scores and videos can be found on the BU Alumni page (official BU graduates) and the BU Exam Challenge pages.

kanzzo

hobby player
Good job. 2 points from perfection on the Bachelors Exam II is strong. Welcome to the board and to pink status! FYI, I used your pocket measurements from the TDF thread. Is that correct?
Yes, the measurements from the TDF thread are correct.
Attempt to shut out the ghost on each of the 18 9-ball and 8-ball layouts in the 3 versions of Exam II. That's 18 consecutive "placement pool" runs with no misses in 108 shots. That might be a fun and educational challenge. Maybe I'll create a new Challenge for this with some merchandise prizes. What do you think? Are you game?
I'm in :)

Let me know the rules, you have in mind. (Especially play order of the layouts.) Next month I am only able to try the challenges til 9th of April since I will be busy for the rest of the month.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Let me know the rules, you have in mind. (Especially play order of the layouts.) Next month I am only able to try the challenges til 9th of April since I will be busy for the rest of the month.

Here's what I have in mind:

Placement Pool Challenge (PPC 100)
- consecutively run each of the 18 9-ball and 8-ball layouts in the 3 versions of BU Exam II in the order they appear in the Exams, starting with the Bachelor version.
- start with 100 points, deduct points for any balls not pocketed legally.
- a perfect score of 100 requires 108 straight shots with no misses.

I'll try to post an official Challenge video soon (although, I'm already working on another one the next few days).

Please let me know if you or others have any feedback or suggestions.

I'll post the video here when it is ready.