Black Ferrules

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I sell a good bit of Black Phenolic ferrules for break cues and a good bit of black buffalo horn ferrules for playing cues.

Baby Huey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
SPKTUR: what a great memory you have about Luther Lassiter. I first saw his red ferrule at the 14.1 LA Open in 1970.

cuesblues

cue accumulator
Silver Member
Tomahawk ferrule material is available in black. I know Kelly Peterson used to carry it on his website. It's not as prevalent here in the states, but it is out there. I think Dechaine used to shoot with a black ferruled cue. I believe Juma is also available in black.
With carbon fiber shafts becoming more popular, you'll probably see it even less.
When you first brought tomahawk here to AZ It was available in black only as I remember then the white came out
Black tomahawk was popular for a while it was kind of a fad
We went through a couple feet of black before we went to the white tomahawk
Black or white it was a better material and that must be what people liked

j2pac

Marital Slow Learner.
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
When you first brought tomahawk here to AZ It was available in black only as I remember then the white came out
Black tomahawk was popular for a while it was kind of a fad
We went through a couple feet of black before we went to the white tomahawk
Black or white it was a better material and that must be what people liked
Actually the white came first, then the black. I always appreciated your business.
😎

cuesblues

cue accumulator
Silver Member
Actually the white came first, then the black. I always appreciated your business.
😎
I thought It was introduced as black and then white but it was a long time ago
A lot of different materials since then
We're even using Dave Kikels impregnated wood ferrules we call the Woody
Dave tried to get a patent for it and couldn't So he quit using it
It had been about 25 years since he used it and he sent me some.
We have changed a lot of shafts over to the Woody, For some very good players
Light weight

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Juma comes to mind it is available in black, if you want a nice finish good hitting ferrule, not to hard not to soft. I am personally really enjoying my Tiger fortis shaft and that ferrule/vault plate is bright orange. The orange gives great sighting feedback compared to the light reflection usually given from carbon shafts with short vault plates, also the fortis shaft weave and finish reflects way less light and is the darkest "black" shaft I have owned to date.

But back to your question, I know a few people have preferred black ferrules in the past due to the contrast on the cue ball. One pro comes to mind prior to the carbon phase, Mike Dechain, I recall seeing him play with a black ferrule on a couple live streams. I could be wrong, Honestly I think it comes down to user preference, And when I think of it I think a very shinny well finished black ferrule may reflect the most light! If anything you'd want it dull " Flat " finished if it were about line sighting.

I have an old bar cue I'm getting ready to convert, it will have a black Juma ferrule.

Colonel

Raised by Wolves in a Pool Hall
Silver Member
I’ve been using Black Micarta ferrules for a very long time now.
IMG_0802.jpeg

FairladyZ

The Boss Stooge
Staff member
Silver Member
I have a black ferrule on one of the cues I had made for our home Gameroom. It’s made from Buffalo Horn. Most of my cues have ivory ferrules, but I have no problem playing with the black Buffalo Horn. Don’t really notice it.

View attachment 746677
Wow, I really like that actually. Was skeptical when I read the thread title....but this took away all the skepticism. Stunning!

Mensabum

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Has anyone experimented with black ferrules? If so, what are your thoughts? I've read about better positioning of the tip on the cueball from the contrast between the black ferrule and the white cueball. Just seeing if any of you have first hand insight on this. Brian.
Yes. It's a fact. Luther Lassiter swore by them. Said exactly the same thing. Better contrast and sighting. Wimpy would know!!👍🏼

Colonel

Raised by Wolves in a Pool Hall
Silver Member
Didn't Lassiter go to a red ferrule? Not black as some indicated.
Both actually. I remember watching him sit at the counter in my father’s hall “coloring” one black when I was just a kid. He had put tape on the shaft under the ferrule & was using a magic marker to color it. When I asked him why he said it stood out against the cue ball better than a white ferrule.

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
Many wall cues have had black and/or short ferrules ever since. Preferred the long ones but never noticed any aiming or deflection idiosyncrasies.
Never seen a black ferrule in the wild just in a movie
i had one for a short time on a shaft, found it just different and ugly