Black Marks On New Blue Simonis Cloth

boogieman

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ping.
Contact Tweeten Fibre Co, ask them about the dark chalk marks, they'll tell you what lights they recommend so rhe chalk marks don't show up.
Good advice.

In my home table situation I have several folks who come over and I'm not about to get anal on what chalks they use. I think of the 10 or so regulars about 5 use blue masters, a couple use predator (dirty stuff) and whatever random chalk. They are all blue, I'd have to draw the line at red! 😅 It's really not an issue, the cloth comes really clean when it gets vacuumed. When it's ready to vacuum, the chaIk doesn't show up as black with my lighting, just dark blue. I could go much longer but I just like to keep the cloth in tip top shape, it plays closer to new when it's clean.

I don't really have the black looking marks, but my buddy does. He's using a florescent tube, I'm using LED bulbs, like the type you use to replace a light in a lamp. I honestly forget what they are, I started with the reveal line of lights but one started flickering (bad contact) so I just put in some random cheap one I had on hand on the bad bulb. There's 4 bulbs so I just put the new one in every other one. They actually look really good. I should buy the reveal again but in all honesty I'm not bothered by it and with the 4 lights you don't really notice any color variation.

Masters chalk for me, doesn't really bother me, I just vacuum it up every few days of use. I do trust what is said, thats why I said, learn something every day. Always wondered why the chalk trails looked so dark in comparison to the color of the chalk. Will probably have to recover my table in a year or so, and may go with gray. Friend of ours has gray, and when we play at her house, with her gray chalk, the table seems to stay really clean.
https://www.seyberts.com/master-chalk/master-sky-blue-chalk-1-dozen-chalk/ I'm sure you can get it much cheaper in a gross online. That should be better as far as not showing as dark marks on tournament blue, but RKC is correct, lighting has a lot to do with it.

muskyed

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just a follow up tidbit, not about blue chalk. A month or so ago, wife and I were at our summer place, and I said let's go to town and have a few beers and play some pool. Well she said she didn't want to go where we usally go that has a dirty valley table, but I said, it is only a quarter. Mentioned there is a nice diamond 7' at this place slightly out of town but it's a $1 a game. She said let's go. I've played there before and hadn't been there for a bit so that's where we went. Had a good time, but the red chalk they had was absolutely horrible looking on the tmt blue cloth. Guess it doesn't bother some places.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So one of my local pool rooms just made the upgrade to blue simonis on their (Valley) barboxes. After just 2 days, there's a bunch of a black marks all over the cloth. At first, I blamed the balls being dirty, though they were cleaned with the new cloth (don't know if the ball return rails were cleaned or not). I later thought it might just be grease from people's hands (they do serve food and there's a fried chicken place next door that a lot of people bring over).

Someone said it might be dirt on the slate that's getting brought up from the glue.

Someone else said it was the (normal) dark blue master's chalk reacting with... something.

The room owner is pretty disappointed by this and is considering removing the blue already. Anyone have any other possible explanations for this type of quick/sudden staining (and maybe some great ways to clean the cloth)??

Had the same thing happen at my local room just a few days ago on the table I favor.

My best diagnosis is someone (a jackass) used some dark blue or black chalk from home. I went in back and watered a micro-cloth and it cleaned up.

Lou Figueroa
a pox on guys that
bring their funky
colored chalk from home

Tiddler

AzB Silver Haired Member
Silver Member
If there are circles then it's from the bottom of ball racks getting dirty and being placed on the cloth

muskyed

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just wanted to say thanks for the tip on sky blue chalk. I'll try some on my next order from seyberts.