Bob frey's with 314

Scottlucasi19

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Im about to order a 314 shaft for my bob frey sp from seyberts. Does anyone out there have this combination? if so do you like it?...the 3/8 10 will fit my butt right? and will it fit flush with the butt?

Matt_24

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Man, I have played with 314's for years - but every Bob Frey shaft I have hit with plays so good I wouldn't think you would need a 314 shaft. Personally, a Frey shaft with a Moori tip is a deadley combination. Have you tried that yet?

KJ Cues

Pro Cue Builder & Repair
Silver Member
If you order from Seybert's, I'm the one who would build your shaft and yes, I'd start from partial. That way I could match ring-work if you so desired and joint diameter. Unless you were willing to send in the cue, it would really help if you could give me the diameter at the joint. On a 3/8-10, I can install a phenolic insert if you let me know. It greatly enhances the hit but will cost extra.

If your joint dia. is .850 and you're OK with a single black collar then your shaft is in stock & waiting on you. They come std. with a phenolic insert.

Scottlucasi19

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes I want a single black collar, with the shaft being 12.25 instead of 12.75.
I know its a 3/8 10, but im not sure of the joint dia. How would i go about measuring the joint? or does anyone know the joint diameter on a freys bocote sp?

DeadPoked

Inadequate User
Silver Member
I have a Frey sneaky and I ordered an OB-1 for it and played with it for a while but I ended up going back to the Frey shaft and couldn't be happier with the results. I've had people use it that thought hit better than any stick they've hit with.

PROG8R

Gator Nation
Silver Member
Just a question so please do not get offended. If you are going to use a predator and a shaft is the engine and feel of A cue then why not sell the FREY and buy a budweiser cue and use a predator shaft on it? It is similar to taking a 25,000$ + plus car and switching the motor out with a KIA. or PINTO why do it man?

poolplayer2093

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Scottlucasi19 said:
Yea alot of people love the way mine hits to, and I love it... Do you know the joint diameter of them?

you can buy some cheap calipers from ebay or call a machienist shop (yeah i don't spell so good) and see if they'll measure it for you. i don't think that'd be a big deal for them

I rack balls

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
PROG8R said:
It is similar to taking a 25,000$ + plus car and switching the motor out with a KIA. or PINTO why do it man?

Because he more than likely has played with a predator shaft for some time and does not want to take the time to adjust to the deflection characteristics of the Frey shaft despite the nice hit. I think Predator makes a fine shaft, the KIA motor might get better gas mileage and it will still give him the cool look of driving the $25,000 car.

thedude

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thats ludicrious man! Stick with the Frey shaft! I was shooting with a Predator 5K3 - and just couldn't shoot consistently with it. Switched to a Frey SP with a sniper tip. Best hitting players cue I've hit with. Sold the predator!

In all reality, to each their own. I'm with prog8r, if you want to shoot with a predator... just buy a predator. Putting a predator shaft on a Frey is SP is like taking the boobs off Tyra Banks and exchanging them for a penis... as Fats told Mosconi about shootin' pool in a dress coat and tie, its like "puttin' ice cream on a hot dog." It just ain't right.... but like I said, to each their own.

FWIW, There was really no adjustment time in regards to adjusting for deflection from going to a Predator to a Frey. As soon I starting shooting with the Frey, I was like "sweeeeeeeeeet, this is what I expected from a predator." Wouldn't ever switch back to that overpriced plywood shaft... JMHO, of course. For the sake of context, I was shooting with a very stiff shafted Jacoby before picking up the predator. When I switched to the Frey, I was looking for something a little bit more in between the the jacoby/predator in terms of stiffness of shaft... and I hit the bullseye with a Frey.

BTW, Anyone know if JP is going to be at the DCC with any Frey cues?

Last edited:

Scottlucasi19

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
PROG8R said:
Just a question so please do not get offended. If you are going to use a predator and a shaft is the engine and feel of A cue then why not sell the FREY and buy a budweiser cue and use a predator shaft on it? It is similar to taking a 25,000$ + plus car and switching the motor out with a KIA. or PINTO why do it man?
Because I just want to see how my cue shoots with a 314, and i wanted to find out if the joint diameter is the same because i was about to order it.

I did think about buying a budwieser cue one time and putting a upgraded shaft on it. But I didnt because I dont drink so I bought a greenbay packers. :rolleyes:

thedude

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Scottlucasi19 said:
Because I just want to see how my cue shoots with a 314, and i wanted to find out if the joint diameter is the same because i was about to order it.

I did think about buying a budwieser cue one time and putting a upgraded shaft on it. But I didnt because I dont drink so I bought a greenbay packers. :rolleyes:

I wish you luck on your purchase, regardless of my opinion of predator shafts... Let us know how it works out! Predators are sort like a really dry red wine, either you love it or you hate it. Hopefully with the purchase, you don't wake up with a headache in the morning! But my greatest concern would be yours, making sure the shaft is flush with the butt when attached.

Scottlucasi19

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've had my freys for about 2 1/2 years. I bought a predator sp with ss joint about 3 months ago or so. I really liked the spin i could get and my shot making got more consistant. But the balance of the cue was off, it just didnt feel right to me. So now i want to try a 314 out on my freys.

thedude

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I will say this, if you like predators... the 5K series is great. The feel of the hit is really nice. I just didn't feel I had enough control of the cue ball with a predator. Everything was too unpredictable. Might as well have been playing the lottery.

I have a Predator Sneaky Pete that I keep around for my gf, and the hit on that cue is just completely dead. Just has a really dead hit to it. Hate it. But she seems to like, and its definately better than alot of other cues. I received a bonus from my company while I was in Illinois, and just went on completely irresponsible spending spree at Nielsens in Springfield! Great store! Too great... ;)

Scottlucasi19

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey dude im not interested in buying a predator cue I have one, and i dont want another one, Im just asking if a certain shaft fits my cue flushly. I could careless about your opinion on predator cues. no offense

enzo

Banned
Scottlucasi19 said:
I cant believe noone knows the joint diameter, maybe i should take this to the cuemaker forum.

there's these things called calipers, measure with those. measure a few times with those and take the average, that number will be pretty accurate. if you don't have any, go to sears or something and buy some. i bet you'll use them over and over so it'll be well worth it.