Bought a GC III

cardit

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
After a lengthy search and looking at a lot of tables I just purchased a GC III and it'll be delivered and set up next week. I found a mechanic in South Florida that has done rail extensions after speaking with about 10, none of whom had an idea what I was talking about.

Side pockets measure 5 3/4; corner pockets ranged from 5 3/16 to 5 3/8. I just now sent him the measurements. Should I be shooting (no pun) for 4 1/2 on the corners and 5 on the sides?

I've read threads until I'm about blue in the face and still don't know what cushions to use. His preference is Super Speed at $250 installed. What are your thoughts? Also, he seems to think we can re-use the Simonis bed cloth (it's relatively new). It's about another $200 to replace the 860 on the bed and $50 for the rails.

I really have learned a lot from this forum and appreciate very much the sharing that goes on. Thanks in advance and Merry Christmas.

Mike

realkingcobra

Silver Member
After a lengthy search and looking at a lot of tables I just purchased a GC III and it'll be delivered and set up next week. I found a mechanic in South Florida that has done rail extensions after speaking with about 10, none of whom had an idea what I was talking about.

Side pockets measure 5 3/4; corner pockets ranged from 5 3/16 to 5 3/8. I just now sent him the measurements. Should I be shooting (no pun) for 4 1/2 on the corners and 5 on the sides?

I've read threads until I'm about blue in the face and still don't know what cushions to use. His preference is Super Speed at $250 installed. What are your thoughts? Also, he seems to think we can re-use the Simonis bed cloth (it's relatively new). It's about another $200 to replace the 860 on the bed and $50 for the rails.

I really have learned a lot from this forum and appreciate very much the sharing that goes on. Thanks in advance and Merry Christmas.

Mike

Ask him if he's going to correct the factory miter angles in the pockets when he extends the rails to tighten up the pockets....then see what he says....and ask him what angles he recommends;)

Renegade_56

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dang, I want one, but I'd just get RKC to do the deal, and I'd go with the 4 1/2" pockets, and I'd go with green Simonis. Red cloth gives me headaches after a few hours. Oneday,,,,,,,,,,

Ask him if he's going to correct the factory miter angles in the pockets when he extends the rails to tighten up the pockets....then see what he says....and ask him what angles he recommends;)

Glen, do you really think for $250 including super speed cushions,
they are going to make any modifications to the sub-rails or pockets?
I told you all the pics of rail Ext on here are going to get everyone thinking
that looks easy enough, I can do rail Ext also.
What they don't know is all the work done to the sub rail
before the cushion goes on.
Wow, how much we have advanced with just a simple cushion install.

Mark Gregory

JZMechanix

Silver Member
Ditch the Superspeeds and go with Diamond Black K55 cushions. You can call Diamond and order them, along with the 3/16" neoprene facings.

cardit

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There is an additional charge to extend the subrails. It's not included in the re-cushion charge. Is 5" correct for the side pockets? Regretfully, I've not heard of RKC heading to the Ft. Lauderdale area. I'll ask him about the angles.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
There is an additional charge to extend the subrails. It's not included in the re-cushion charge. Is 5" correct for the side pockets? Regretfully, I've not heard of RKC heading to the Ft. Lauderdale area. I'll ask him about the angles.

Mark is right, I have yet to run across a GC that has matching miter angles in all the corner pockets. What you're looking for is 5" side pockets, and 4 1/2" corner pockets...but ask him what the miter and down angles are for a GC factory spec's first....see if he knows the answer to that...if so, then proceed on...if not, sorry:embarrassed2:

Factory miters are 142 degrees with a 13 degree down angle in the corner pockets, and 104 degees with a 13 degree down angle in the side pockets...that is..."Factory"....when they do it right, I'm still waiting to that happen cuz I haven't seen it yet;)......so that means...your boy better know how to correct the factory angles first, before he extends the rails...or all he's going to do is take angles that don't match....and turn them into tighter pockets....that don't have the same miters on both sides of the pockets;)

Glen