Boulevard Billiads in Philadelphia Has Closed

mutchnick

Registered
The place was open 24/7/365 for 30 years!

A couple big money matches I saw was Jimmy Fusco beating Joyner 4 ahead getting 8-7. The night before that match Stevie Wonder softened Joyner up getting 9-7 and beating him 2 four a head matches.

I was also there when Danny Basavich came through. In his book he states that he won 25k but it was more like 10k. He did give all our short stops the 7 and barbrcued them all. Then he butchered Spanish Mike Lebron even. He was down 6-1 and won 10-6. All his matches where for a dime a set, he won about 10 sets not 25.

Anyone else have some stories?

Corvette Scott
 
I headed over there a few times in high school. aside from Roosevelt Billiards, in the back of Roosevelt Mall, this was about the most dangerous place around that I knew of, but I loved it. There were all kinds of card games going on among the gangsters in the back.

I was just a scrawny kid with a C-/C game, from one of the nicer Philly suburbs and had no business being in this place. With a C game, I was a shark in the 'burbs, but going into Boulevard I was just a small fish in a big pond.

My friend who I used to shoot with around town and challenge people for money (name was Vince, believe it or not) started dating the girl that worked behind the counter. They had a kid, got married and that was the end of our hustling aspirations at the time.

I'll miss that place.
 
Last edited:
One friday night in the late 60's I was there with my friend Marty. He was facing the door and he froze, and said "that guy , he is the one on TV"

It was Fats, stopping by to bs with the owner. He bs's for a while , did an exhibition and took off. He was a piece of work for sure.

Quite the experience for a couple of kids.

Boulevard Billiards changed names after that to BSAC (Boulevard Social and Atheltic Club) or The Social Club for short. Reason...to beat the blue laws so they could be open 24/7.

Joel
 
mutchnick said:
The place was open 24/7/365 for 30 years!

I was also there when Danny Basavich came through... he butchered Spanish Mike Lebron even. He was down 6-1 and won 10-6. All his matches where for a dime a set, he won about 10 sets not 25...
Corvette Scott
Ahh- I miis the 24/7/365 days.

What is Danny doin' picking on Lebron like that. How old was he then? 93? The shame!:rolleyes:
 
Back
Top