Brass joint ?

blackda

AzB Gold Member
Silver Member
I shoot with a late 60's Hoppe Pro and am considering having it redone. I like the look of the Pro's and Titlist's I've seen. Part of me is scared to change the cue because I love the way it shoots. If i decide tompull the trigger on this here is my list of concerns...

1.) Is there a reason no one retains the brass joint on the Pros's?
2.) Can the butt be turned/tapered down to normal size, removing the signature and weight stamp without having to change the joint collar?
3.) How hard would it be or is it possible to change the joint pin from brass to stainless steel? The brass tends to squeak a bit.

All advice welcome...

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm sure one of the cue makers will reply but in the mean time I'll say what I think.

Turning the cue down will substantially change it. If you really love how it feels I wouldn't do it.

It squeaks? I am not sure what you mean. When you put it together or when you play?

If it's when screwing it together I would say it just needs cleaned. If it squeaks when playing the joint probably needs repair, as in maybe the old glue has broken down.

How hard would it be? I think the job would be straightforward, but as I said,the whole job the way you are proposing it would likely substantially change how the cue feels. If you really like how it feels I would say don't do it.

Personally, I have seen several such "modernization" jobs done on these cues and I really like them. I'm just concerned that if you really like how the cue plays the change would not maintain that.

If you like the cue as it is then have it restored/cleaned up/repaired.

Just my thoughts. :)

eddie0776

Bishop Cues
Silver Member
I shoot with a late 60's Hoppe Pro and am considering having it redone. I like the look of the Pro's and Titlist's I've seen. Part of me is scared to change the cue because I love the way it shoots. If i decide tompull the trigger on this here is my list of concerns...

2.) Can the butt be turned/tapered down to normal size, removing the signature and weight stamp without having to change the joint collar?
3.) How hard would it be or is it possible to change the joint pin from brass to stainless steel? The brass tends to squeak a bit.

All advice welcome...

1.) The brass joint is not favored by most because of looks. Stainless is prettier
2.) Yes you can change the taper without changing the collar
3.) Not hard at all. You can also just put a dab of wax on the pin and squeak is gone.
Hope this helps. I personally like the brass and have several cues I made with the brass that I still play with. Good luck

GBCues

Damn, still .002 TIR!
Gold Member
Silver Member
All of the modifications that you want done, can be done. The problem is "modification". Once performed, your cue will no longer be " a late 60's Hoppe Pro", it will be a "Used to be late 60's Hoppe Pro". Many of the guys here are reluctant to change the old masters.

And the modifications will likely change the way the cue plays and feels. You say you like the way it is now and those changes cannot be undone.

Good luck in your quest,

Gary

blackda

AzB Gold Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the input. And yes the squeak is when I am putting it together and not when shooting. I love the classic old style look and the feel the full splice gives when shooting. However I am not a fan of the signature, weight stamp or the large diameter butt. Hmmm... Maybe I will start with a Davis blank with Titlist veneers.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the input. And yes the squeak is when I am putting it together and not when shooting. I love the classic old style look and the feel the full splice gives when shooting. However I am not a fan of the signature, weight stamp or the large diameter butt. Hmmm... Maybe I will start with a Davis blank with Titlist veneers.

You can have a blank done. You could also pick up a Hoppe Pro in poor condition and have it turned down and modernized.

the kidd

VOTE ONE TIME
Silver Member
Definitely try another cue and don't fool with this one.

If you love it keep it as is and try to find another one. Do wax the joint for the squeak.

All advice welcome...

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

I have a 60's Hoppe Pro that I had thinned down in the handle and butt sleeve (including removing the label, which I viewed as pretty ugly), refinished, and rewrapped. I left the joint collar and pin as they were. I did not notice any change in how the cue plays, other than it feels better to me now that it is thinner.

Last edited:

blackda

AzB Gold Member
Silver Member
I have a 60's Hoppe Pro that I had thinned down in the handle and butt sleeve (including removing the label, which I viewed as pretty ugly), refinished, and rewrapped. I left the joint collar and pin as they were. I did not notice any change in how the cue plays, other than it feels better to me now that it is thinner.

That's what I wanted to do. I didn't think it would chage the feel much, if any. However, I wasn't sure, thus my post. I may just keep it as is and start with a blank.

Thanks again everyone, I really appreciate all the input.