Brazilian Rose wood pricing

Dave Hlad

Registered
What do you think is a fare price per board foot for old growth Brazilian rosewood? I'm talking large pieces 3X3X48.

BarenbruggeCues

Unregistered User
Silver Member
First thing needed is to define "old growth." Is it nigra? 1 pc of 3x3x48 pcs of nigra would be an extremely rare barn find these days. Multiple pcs would next to a holy grail find.
Dalbergia Spruceana is many times attempted to be pawned off as being the real thing. Still good cue wood imo, but not nigra.

In each 3x3x48 pc you have approx 3 board ft. So much depends on how the figure, if any, is in each stick. Is it what is referred to as black, brown or color figured?
Going rate could be 150-300$ per bdft. or higher for the real thing. The larger the pc the higher it's going to demand because it can now be used in a large variety of different projects. The most I have ever paid was close to 300$ for one stick (approx 1/3 bdft) large enough to build one cue. It is eye popping figure.
How old are the sticks? Are they in the states? If not already in the states, it's probably reclaimed. If so, you could potentially run into some inherent problems associated with reclaimed stuff.
Good luck with your find.

Ssonerai

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In that size, be sure to look at the checking, if any. I've looked at 12/4 (3" thick) of various exotics that couldn't yield a single FS cue butt due to the way the checks (splits) ran. How dry is it? That thickness of hard dense wood will take years to dry, and may crack further during the interval.

If it is clear dry lumber with no checks/large knots/splits/minimal wane (sapwood it would be quite valuable as Mr Barrenbrugge notes. If not, it is a very expensive pile of material that might only yield pens, tops, and other tchochkes.

All that said, cues are often listed as "all ebony" or "all rosewood" when its a cored short splice wrap with a few slivers for the points and a nice butt sleeve. That type & size material can be got out of a lot of otherwise useless wood.

smt

Last edited:

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
$450.
1.5" by 16" is good for one cue .

Examine the grain pattern very carefully. Most pieces I've seen have banana grains . Horrible run-outs.

Dave Hlad

Registered
It is Dalbergia nigra. My buddy bought it all from the same seller on ebay over 10 years ago. It is all waxed and no splits or knots that I can see. They were originally going to be used for guitar necks but he no longer makes guitars. Here are some pics of one of the pieces. Grain is black an brown lick you would expect from Dalbergia nigra. And I have cut a couple pieces, and you can tell by the smell it's the real thing.

Attachments

• thumbnail (1).jpg
    thumbnail (1).jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 151
  • thumbnail (2).jpg
    thumbnail (2).jpg
    205.1 KB · Views: 135
  • thumbnail.jpg
    thumbnail.jpg
    176.8 KB · Views: 154

BarenbruggeCues

Unregistered User
Silver Member
I know you believe it to be legit....however, in my 35 plus yrs sourcing true nigra I don't remember any that had ever been completely waxed like that. Not saying it doesn't happen, just don't remember seeing any. As a rule of thumb I have generally shied from wood like that. Too many unknowns and hidden stuff under the wax.
The only true way to tell is what Ssonerai posted and probably needs to be done in a lab.
The fact that you stated it came from ebay is an eye opener for me. In all my years buying wood, I learned ebay was the biggest scammer hangout for trying to sell things that weren't really things.
However, if you feel it is what is and get it for a price you feel comfortable with, why not.
you can tell by the smell it's the real thing
Spruceana can smell just like fresh cut nigra with that sweet bubblegum smell.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
I know you believe it to be legit....however, in my 35 plus yrs sourcing true nigra I don't remember any that had ever been completely waxed like that. Not saying it doesn't happen, just don't remember seeing any. As a rule of thumb I have generally shied from wood like that. Too many unknowns and hidden stuff under the wax.
The only true way to tell is what Ssonerai posted and probably needs to be done in a lab.
The fact that you stated it came from ebay is an eye opener for me. In all my years buying wood, I learned ebay was the biggest scammer hangout for trying to sell things that weren't really things.
However, if you feel it is what is and get it for a price you feel comfortable with, why not.

Spruceana can smell just like fresh cut nigra with that sweet bubblegum smell.

How about bois de rose ? I'd wipe it with thinner. I'd like to see if the paper turns red or brown.