Break cloth patch

chevybob20

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
With respect, you either don’t break very hard, or don’t really know too much about the break. You’re way better off using the newspaper.

Really anyone that prioritizes the look of the table (which takes years to accumulate enough break marks to be an issue) over the proper play just indicates that they are a different type of “player”. No offense but it most assuredly affects the break. You just don’t notice.

KMRUNOUT

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

You must be joking. I do break hard. The problem is in your head.

I use a piece of cloth because it is convenient because it doesn't wear out and need replacement. I do like the idea of using a dollar bill.

The problem isn't the track lines from the break to the rack. It's holes from breaking in the same location. And yes, your cloth will last years.

ceebee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Using a Break Pad is all I've used for 20 years.

I've used a Break Pad for 20 years. I put one in every BreakRAK that is sold. I use one, since I sometimes use the BreakRAK & whack at it more than several times, to stay in stroke. One other thing. I used a Rempe Training Ball for a long time, the other day I set it on the cabinet & it rocked back & forth. I picked it up & there it was, a flat spot on the bottom of my Break Shot Training Ball. I had to find another target on the ball, to shoot at. But, I'm sure the ball will go bye-bye, after a few more trips to the Rack.

Last edited:

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Slightly harder.

I tried it when i got home from work. I agree with you. So, wouldn't be slightly harder to get the cue ball to jump when breaking? Others are saying the break pad makes the ball jump more when breaking. I don't see how both can be true.

And I would need PROOF.... not conjecture... its because the cue ball is elevated that miniscule amount. I say that because EVERYTIME you break without a pad, the cue ball jumps higher then the thickness of the pad anyway. The pad should at least provide a bit of shock absorption... as it does when you try to jump off of it.

Last edited:

KMRUNOUT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I tried it when i got home from work. I agree with you. So, wouldn't be slightly harder to get the cue ball to jump when breaking? Others are saying the break pad makes the ball jump more when breaking. I don't see how both can be true.

And I would need PROOF.... not conjecture... its because the cue ball is elevated that miniscule amount. I say that because EVERYTIME you break without a pad, the cue ball jumps higher then the thickness of the pad anyway. The pad should at least provide a bit of shock absorption... as it does when you try to jump off of it.

Depending on the table and the cloth in it, jumping is usually easier off a pad. To be honest though, it is really a separate issue. When trying to deduce the effects of a certain situation, you have to be very careful about making assumptions. For example, the idea that a jump shot, in which the ball is driven straight down into the bed of the table, will have the same effect as a break shot in which the cueball is shot along a pad, rather than into it, is an assumption that is dubious at best.

Thing about this: if you are breaking hard (say 25mph+), how much change in cueball elevation at contact with the front ball is required to make the difference between landing on the bed and landing off the table? A millimeter? Less? How thick is a break cloth again?

The contention that it makes no difference is patently absurd. The only real question is whether that difference is noticeable and whether it is acceptable. To me, the difference is obviously noticeable and hence unacceptable. LOTS of people settle for situations that they don’t even recognize as problems. Lots of people think they give perfect racks too, for example. Perception and awareness are tough to recognize before you do. It’s just painfully common to hear “logic” along the lines of “well I’ve never noticed a problem with that so quit complaining”

KMRUNOUT

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Depending on the table and the cloth in it, jumping is usually easier off a pad. To be honest though, it is really a separate issue. When trying to deduce the effects of a certain situation, you have to be very careful about making assumptions. For example, the idea that a jump shot, in which the ball is driven straight down into the bed of the table, will have the same effect as a break shot in which the cueball is shot along a pad, rather than into it, is an assumption that is dubious at best.

Thing about this: if you are breaking hard (say 25mph+), how much change in cueball elevation at contact with the front ball is required to make the difference between landing on the bed and landing off the table? A millimeter? Less? How thick is a break cloth again?

The contention that it makes no difference is patently absurd. The only real question is whether that difference is noticeable and whether it is acceptable. To me, the difference is obviously noticeable and hence unacceptable. LOTS of people settle for situations that they don’t even recognize as problems. Lots of people think they give perfect racks too, for example. Perception and awareness are tough to recognize before you do. It’s just painfully common to hear “logic” along the lines of “well I’ve never noticed a problem with that so quit complaining”

KMRUNOUT

There is no assumption to it. A break shot is a minimum (controlled) jump shot. It is impossible to hold the cue completely level, so the only way a cue ball can jump, without scooping, is driving it into the cloth. There is nothing you can dispute about that statement.

If you are not driving the cue ball into the cloth on a break, even a little bit, then there wouldn't even be a discussion about using a break pad.

Last edited:

KMRUNOUT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There is no assumption to it. A break shot is a minimum (controlled) jump shot. It is impossible to hold the cue completely level, so the only way a cue ball can jump, without scooping, is driving it into the cloth. There is nothing you can dispute about that statement.

If you are not driving the cue ball into the cloth on a break, even a little bit, then there wouldn't even be a discussion about using a break pad.

Since I agree with what you say, and you seem to be contesting something I said, I’m going to assume you missed some point I was making.

Also FYI, the break cloth is to safeguard against burn marks caused by the friction resulting from the quick acceleration of the cueball. I think if you’re picturing the problem as being the cueball “denting” the cloth from being driven into it, I’d offer that you may have a fundamental misunderstanding of the situation.

KMRUNOUT

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Since I agree with what you say, and you seem to be contesting something I said, I’m going to assume you missed some point I was making.

Also FYI, the break cloth is to safeguard against burn marks caused by the friction resulting from the quick acceleration of the cueball. I think if you’re picturing the problem as being the cueball “denting” the cloth from being driven into it, I’d offer that you may have a fundamental misunderstanding of the situation.

KMRUNOUT

Maybe I did misunderstand. Let me reiterate.
I understand it. It's the heat created from friction when compressing the cloth and the cue ball sliding for a split second... jump shots and break shots. If the cue ball goes airborne on every break shot, how is it possible without driving ot slightly into the cloth. I'm sure you've seen the super slow motion vids by Dr Dave.

https://billiards.colostate.edu/high-speed-video/hsv-a-3/

Last edited:

Poolhall60561

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
On my home table I use a break pad when I practice. If I can avoid 100 little burn marks why not. When I have friends over I put away the pad. I’m sure that the pad is somehow not perfect but neither is my stroke so I think I’ll just try to give my cloth a few extra miles.