Break cloth

nickgeo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rack apron

Hi,
Most of you are too young to remember when some rooms had rack aprons, a triangle of cloth, one edge of which was attached to one edge of the rack. You laid the apron on the table first, near the foot rail, then maneuvered the rack on top of it (the cloth was slightly larger than the rack). The edge to which the cloth was attached was aligned parallel to the foot rail. Then you placed the 14 or 15 balls into the rack (14.1 continuous back in the day), on top of the apron. That way if some fool dropped or dumped the balls into the rack, or snapped them down hard, the table cloth was somewhat protected. Finally you rolled the rack forward to the foot spot, allowing the apron cloth to remain in place.
Thus things were in less affluent times.
Take care,
Nick

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
Most people commenting on the worthiness of the break cloth have nothing invested. In my experience with 860HR on my home table it without a doubt prolongs better playing conditions. In 6 months I had a divot on the head string which would alter the path of a slow rolling ball heading to the corner pocket.
The second time around I used a break cloth and am 8 months in with the break spot still in perfect condition. Posters are right about the fact it does not prevent the dotted path from the break spot to the head ball but that is just cosmetic and doesn't affect play.

I could not believe how many burn marks my brand new Simonis 860 had after only a few weeks of mainly just me playing on my table. I think they show up more on Tournament Green more than the blue cloth. I started using just a piece of paper to break from cause I usually break from the same area. My table still has other burn marks all over and lines down the rail grooves but Im sure the paper helped a lot. My guess is that I will need new cloth at around 3 years on my table.

jtaylor996

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I did 7 years on championship tour cloth. There were still no divots big enough to deflect a slow rolling ball.

Maybe it really is a lot more durable than simonis?

I'm having 860 put on my new table tomorrow, btw. I don't have a bias, but that championship cloth held up really well (it still had the marks everywhere, but it didn't affect play).

FairladyZ

The Boss Stooge
Staff member
Silver Member
I could not believe how many burn marks my brand new Simonis 860 had after only a few weeks of mainly just me playing on my table. I think they show up more on Tournament Green more than the blue cloth. I started using just a piece of paper to break from cause I usually break from the same area. My table still has other burn marks all over and lines down the rail grooves but Im sure the paper helped a lot. My guess is that I will need new cloth at around 3 years on my table.
I've got the same thing going on....I break form pretty much the same spot every time, and there's some rug burns there for sure. I havent tried paper, never even thought of it.... I vacuum the table periodically with an attachment that has soft bristles on it. When I vac the table, the marks pretty much disappear....on my Wine colored Simonis 860 cloth. I'm not sure what the average lifespan is for Simonis 860 on a home table (9ft Gold Crown 2), but I don't think I should have to replace it again anytime soon.

Last edited:

Lesh

One Hole Thinkifier
Silver Member
I thought I would revitalize this thread by re-stating that I think the break cloth (while an earnest attempt at adding longevity to equipment) is a complete moronic idea........ much like the 2-finger+thumb glove which, absolutely sorry to say, declares in magnificent clarity that you are "THAT" kind of person. The kind of person that has a remote control cozy at home, neatly arranged next to your fresh copy of Windows Vista Quarterly and a not too indulgent portion of worthers candies in a nice waterford crystal bowl you picked up whilst antiquing in Brimfield with Mother.

Leave the chalk holder at home and shoot pool.

Love to all,

Lesh

jtaylor996

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm not that person, but I can't play without the glove. Some people have clamy skin... deal with it.

backplaying

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I thought I would revitalize this thread by re-stating that I think the break cloth (while an earnest attempt at adding longevity to equipment) is a complete moronic idea........ much like the 2-finger+thumb glove which, absolutely sorry to say, declares in magnificent clarity that you are "THAT" kind of person. The kind of person that has a remote control cozy at home, neatly arranged next to your fresh copy of Windows Vista Quarterly and a not too indulgent portion of worthers candies in a nice waterford crystal bowl you picked up whilst antiquing in Brimfield with Mother.

Leave the chalk holder at home and shoot pool.

Love to all,

Lesh

Doesn't Shane play with one? I wish I could play with one, but can't, as some places are so humid the cue seems like it has something sticky on it, and washing your hands seems to be the only thing that helps.

Lesh

One Hole Thinkifier
Silver Member
I'm not that person, but I can't play without the glove. Some people have clamy skin... deal with it.

Well if its for some physical deformity, I can understand that. My sympathy to your glandular condition. But I think you know what I am talking about... people that like to just gear up for the sake of gearing up. Frivolous Gearage. Involving themselves with unnecessary distractions that they could honestly do without.

Unlike you, who have been stricken (unfairly, I might add) and must adapt the best way you can through the use of the finest technology mankind has to offer. Brave souls such as you are not who I am talking about. Be strong brother.

You know the kind... They come in all quiet and unassuming. They are a SOLID C or even B player and they are your opponent for the evening. They go to the bar and get their strawberry-kiwi flavored zero-calorie sparkling mineral water (adding a fresh packet of Stevia, or squirting a little of that drippy drop flavoring that they brought from home) and they set their 3x5 leather bag down carefully, you know the bag.... the one with the kickstand that tilts out and they put together each of the three sticks he has and slides them back into the case so they are tilting out at an angle blocking people egress by the table or blocking the counter after they realize they are blocking the table and blocking everything known to mankind...IF ONLY THEY WOULD LEAN THE DANG THING AGAINST THE WALL LIKE A NORMAL PERSON and admit to God and everyone that the purchase of a bag with a kickstand was not as clever an idea as it seemed at the time.

You know the kind...

Lesh

Lesh

lakeman77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't get it. Pool rooms are closing. an owner wants to keep his equipment in good condition. I have played in good rooms where they ask you to use a break cloth. why not use what the owner asks and get along? be happy somebody cares about the equipment. if everybody uses a break cloth, there is no disadvantage to you.

jtaylor996

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I guess having skin that's not dry and cracked all the time requiring slimy moisturizers is now a glandular condition to be "stricken" with ;)

I've also done most of my playing in 100% humidity in FL...

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When you invest thousands of dollars recovering the table in your pool room, and it's "your own money", then you'll understand the reasons why break cloths are advisable, if not necessary. It does not affect the outcome of your break.....don't even go there on that one.....and it protects "your" investment and the tables look better for longer durations.....no different than if the pool room prohibits Mass & Jump Shots........Simonis Cloth isn't cheap.

Matt B.

3RAILKICK

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
probably wrong here

Re Shane break....

In a slo-mo video it looks like he is hitting the cb while the tip is angled up slightly, lifting the cb slightly off the table, causing a bounce, then landing, then hop and stop. The bridge heighth pivot point allows that level..to slight up angle.

The tip scrapes the cloth after contact, as the pendulum arc (grip) rises and the bridge remains in place.

Even though Shane raises his torso slowly on the backswing and delivery, note how the grip lowers to become very level. Enough that, his grip hand knuckles come close to whacking the rail. He appears to 'punch and stop' to avoid the rail, just before allowing the pendulum action to send the tip to the cloth.

The timing is amazing.

Shane probably doesn't need a break cloth. His break marks are the tip skid and further down table landing marks.

Im guessing he has hit those knuckles on the grip hand once or twice.