Break cue suggestions

So I have just been using a lucky mcdermott to break. Shaft is starting to develop a warp. I am playing quite a bit each week on my table so I am willing the drop some coin on a dedicated breaker. What do you guys recommend and what weight is your break cue? I have heard lighter can be better. The lucky I have been breaking with is 21oz. My predator play cue is 19 oz. Budget wise would like to keep it under $300 top end likely in $500 range.

Thanks
Brent
You can buy a hanger cheap. It hangs your "Q" from the tip. In a few days it will be straight. Trust me it works great!! Hang the shaft with the butt. More weight helps it get straight faster.

Last edited:

Nyquil

Buy the Predator break speed app for your phone. $4.99 at Google Play, works like sonar. I think you will learn it's all about technique.
I had no idea this existed. I was wondering what my speed is. I will definitely check this out. Thanks for the info.

mrpiper

Registered
I had no idea this existed. I was wondering what my speed is. I will definitely check this out. Thanks for the info.
I have and really like a Big Beulah 2 break cue, but the textured grip it comes with is trash. I replaced it with a highly textured leather. Original tip is still great after several years.

muskyed

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just ordered a Black Ice shaft from Seyberts because of this thread, and also had some bucks to spend with them from a recent purchase. As usual from them, got it in 3 days. Really nice shaft, very slippery in the hand, great tip, hard but you could actually play pool with it if you wanted, stiff and solid hit but heavy, about 2 oz heavier than a normal shaft. I ordered it to fit one of my 3 McDermotts that we are not using at this time and it goes on really nice, a little firm just before locking up, and rolls perfectly straight. Breaks really great, but now that cue is a little over 21 oz, and feels a little heavy to me. I am going to take the weight bolt out and cut it back a bit to see if that helps or hurts. Really liking it so far, but really having trouble seeing now how anyone would want a 25oz cue for breaking. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

Nyquil

Thanks for the suggestions gents. I got the predator app and I am breaking 17 to 19 mph. Def got some work to do I think with getting more speed. What do you guys average for break speed?

Nyquil

Ouch! Sorry to hear that. As you can see by my avatar McDermott is like an anti-player cue to me…..He should buy a Viking breaker!
I ended up purchasing a Viking Crush/Punch set new for 225.00 shipped on a forum. Should be here early next week. The crush gets some solid reviews so I am excited to try it out.

Nyquil

Viking came in the mail this weekend. It's a really great breaking cue for the $$$ gents. It smashes balls and has a commanding crispy snap on the break. The linen wrap is well done and fit and finish I have no complaints with. I haven't messed around with the punch jumper that came with it but it's nice to have in the arsenal.

Willowbrook Wolfy

Your wushu is weak!
Viking came in the mail this weekend. It's a really great breaking cue for the $$$ gents. It smashes balls and has a commanding crispy snap on the break. The linen wrap is well done and fit and finish I have no complaints with. I haven't messed around with the punch jumper that came with it but it's nice to have in the arsenal.
If I ever get a real breaker it will probably be a Viking. Thanks for the insight on it.