Break cue suggestions

Nyquil

So I have just been using a lucky mcdermott to break. Shaft is starting to develop a warp. I am playing quite a bit each week on my table so I am willing the drop some coin on a dedicated breaker. What do you guys recommend and what weight is your break cue? I have heard lighter can be better. The lucky I have been breaking with is 21oz. My predator play cue is 19 oz. Budget wise would like to keep it under $300 top end likely in $500 range.

Thanks
Brent

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So I have just been using a lucky mcdermott to break. Shaft is starting to develop a warp. I am playing quite a bit each week on my table so I am willing the drop some coin on a dedicated breaker. What do you guys recommend and what weight is your break cue? I have heard lighter can be better. The lucky I have been breaking with is 21oz. My predator play cue is 19 oz. Budget wise would like to keep it under $300 top end likely in $500 range.

Thanks
Brent
You already have a break cue. Your biggest decision is weight?
Then Tip preference for it.
Hard leather or a synthetic tip?

dendweller

If your mcdermott is 21 it no doubt has a weight bolt you can remove and try it at a lighter weight. Far as the warp goes, I'd roll it, determine the low and high points of the warp, and mark it at the joint with a sharpy so that you can use it consistently with the warp up or down, which ever you like.

mark187

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Thanks
Brent
I have a Poison jump/break which I like. Previously had a Predator BK2, and there's not a massive difference, given the Poison is half the price. The one I have is the vx 2.9, which is an older model, but still seems to be available. Came with a Phenolic tip, which I have kept on.

Willowbrook Wolfy

Your wushu is weak!

Thanks
Brent
McDermott has a lifetime warranty. Back when I was playing more regularly they always had a lot of whip and seemed to warp more often than other manufacturers’ cues. I’d recommend anything other than a McDermott to break with. Although my Gf has one of their Star line cues and it’s stiff as hell. Just send it in for them to fix it. Then send it in again next time. Maybe they will get sick of repairing it and give you a better shaft.
I’ve never owned a dedicated break/jump cue as I can just jump shot with whatever I’m using and break with a house, but most of the people around here like their Predators!

Last edited:

jimmyco

NRA4Life
Silver Member
McDermott has a lifetime warranty. Back when I was playing more regularly they always had a lot of whip and seemed to warp more often than other manufacturers’ cues. I’d recommend anything other than a McDermott to break with. Although my Gf has one of their Star line cues and it’s stiff as hell. Just send it in for them to fix it. Then send it in again next time. Maybe they will get sick of repairing it and give you a better shaft. I’ve never owned a dedicated break/jump cue as I just jump with my player and break. With a house but most of the people I see in the area like their Predators.
Lucky line has a three year warranty. Does not cover warp.

Willowbrook Wolfy

Your wushu is weak!
Ouch! Sorry to hear that. As you can see by my avatar McDermott is like an anti-player cue to me…..He should buy a Viking breaker!

Last edited:

terpdad

Registered
I use a PureX J/B & like it. It was ~$200 3 yrs ago, but has crept up closer to $300 these days. From time to time I think about getting a dedicated break cue, but can't really justify it. There are plenty of options at $300 or less and I'm not sure any of them really distinguishes themselves from the others. You might also try purchasing a break shaft for your current butt.

Hoogaar

Registered
I got a J Flowers break cue with carbon fiber shaft a couple of months ago. Best break cue I have ever used, and that includes a BK Rush. And best of all - only cost $320US (listed at $352, but you can get a 10% discount code through the dealers)

TheBasics

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nyquil, Howdy;

Such a personal choice, for me I found an older Dufferin Dot. It's a 21 oz. Went to a local cue guy
and he built an Oak shaft for it (came from the local Rec. center, was part of the dance floor and 40
years of heavy use), Was working fine and a few years ago I was buying a lighter weight Dot (17 oz),
for a friend's birthday when they passed on. So, when it arrived I kept it and tried the oak shaft on it.
Works even better (FOR ME!). My regular player weights in at 18.6 oz.
... an dat's alls I got's ta say 'bout dat.

hank

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Two schools of thought, Heavy, or Light.

When I owned a break Cue it was 16.5 OZ. My shoulders are shot.

Light was my choice, Tiger Ice Brake Tip.

middleofnowhere

Registered

Thanks
Brent
Wow that's a pretty big budget for a break you. A 21 ounce McDermott is going to have a pretty long screw in the butt that's easily removable. In fact McDermott used to supply multiple screws so you can mess with the weight yourself. If you want to tinker with the shaft you could get a low-end CF shaft. I noticed just from watching the videos on YouTube a lot of players have those on their break cues.

Since you've got a home table and you're practicing all this breaking you should be keeping an accurate record of exactly what's happening. You might be shocked that you don't have to break as hard as you think you do to have good results.

More important than the weight or the break cue is getting a good square hit on the front ball every time. That produces more consistent results.

The speed of the break shot is based on diminishing returns. In other words you don't break any harder then is required to control the cue ball and the hit. When you don't get a good square hit on the one ball much of the power of the break is lost anyway.
The example often cited is Buddy Hall one of the most successful 9-ball players of all time. He actually doesn't have a very hard break.

Last edited:

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
I would start off with a less expensive break cue.
You can always sell it to get another.
I would never buy my kids a brand new benz for their first car.

Johnny Rosato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just get a 2 or 3 more McDermott Lucky's in different colors and use Triangle or Water Buffalo tips.
You can play and break with either tip.
You have your own table and these cues can be used for guests, they play good enough.

Nyquil

Thanks for the suggestions gents. I am not opposed to maybe just getting a shaft for the lucky. If there is not much tech in the butt for breakers and it's all the shaft and tip that might be the ticket. I really like CF shafts due to how slick they are and ease of maintenance. I'll check around.