Break shots with inside high English

Seth C.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When presented with the opportunity to play a break shot with inside high English and bring the CB around to the middle of the table, or play it another way (most typically with draw), is there a good reason to NOT use high inside? It is so nice to be somewhere in the middle of the table .... By "opportunity" I mean CB and break ball positions that are such that a corner pocket scratch isn't a concern.

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Edit. I did read wrong... My two favorite breakshots are high inside. I try put diagram later when I'm on my desktop(now just posting with my phone).
I don't really understand your question?
Are you wanting to use inside high or avoid using it?

Last edited:

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When presented with the opportunity to play a break shot with inside high English and bring the CB around to the middle of the table, or play it another way (most typically with draw), is there a good reason to NOT use high inside? It is so nice to be somewhere in the middle of the table .... By "opportunity" I mean CB and break ball positions that are such that a corner pocket scratch isn't a concern.

Hi Seth. The only reason I could see where high inside could be a problem is where the balls aren't opening up well and you have to hit the shot harder. With that inside english, you could quickly end up at the head rail. Also, I don't know if high inside would be necessary with a little bit steeper (sharper angle) cuts. I'd prefer to stun off the pack in that case.

I suppose that for those shots where high inside is an option, high outside is also an option. The outside will keep the cue ball in the bottom half of the table due to more collisions with the other balls. The choice may depend on the table conditions. The only thing I wouldn't do is hit that shot with no english, as you most likely will end up in the kitchen or scratching in the corner up at the head rail.

Seth C.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Thanks for the reply, and sorry if I caused confusion. I was trying to say that when faced with a break shot for which high inside will predictably result in the cue ball going to the foot rail, then to the side rail, and, with the proper speed, then to an end point in the center of the table, I think that high inside should be used rather than some other approach. (I'm assuming, of course, that the player has equal confidence in all types of shots). My reasoning is simply that there is great value in landing in the center of the table, where the risk of being left with no shot, or of having a tricky shot, is lower than if the CB ends up to the side of, or behind, the stack.

Seth C.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi Seth. The only reason I could see where high inside could be a problem is where the balls aren't opening up well and you have to hit the shot harder. With that inside english, you could quickly end up at the head rail. Also, I don't know if high inside would be necessary with a little bit steeper (sharper angle) cuts. I'd prefer to stun off the pack in that case.

I suppose that for those shots where high inside is an option, high outside is also an option. The outside will keep the cue ball in the bottom half of the table due to more collisions with the other balls. The choice may depend on the table conditions. The only thing I wouldn't do is hit that shot with no english, as you most likely will end up in the kitchen or scratching in the corner up at the head rail.

Dan -- Thanks for the reply. I agree with most of what you've said. My only quibble is with the notion that landing down near the foot rail is equally or more preferable. It's lovely when you're there, the balls have spread, and a lane exists for the first shot. But you can get stuck. I find that I rarely get stuck in the center of the table. As for ending up on the head rail when using high inside, I find that that outcome is generally avoidable with speed control. As a side point, I find that speed control doesn't correlate terribly well with predictable landing areas when drawing break shots. I suppose that has much to do with which side of a stack ball is contacted by the CB, and something to do with the quality of the draw stroke that I apply.