Break tip suggestions

lvlss42190

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've had a Predator BK3 for about a year now, and I'm interested in replacing the factory phenolic tip with something else.

Many people seem to refer to samsara and white diamond on these forums.
I was wondering if there were any other suggestions to consider? right now I'm leaning towards white diamond.

In my spare time when I'm not on the practice table, I'm a competitive power lifter (weight lifting for sheer strength) so obviously I'm not one to skimp on the power break. If that would sway suggestions one way or another.

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've had a Predator BK3 for about a year now, and I'm interested in replacing the factory phenolic tip with something else.

Many people seem to refer to samsara and white diamond on these forums.
I was wondering if there were any other suggestions to consider? right now I'm leaning towards white diamond.

In my spare time when I'm not on the practice table, I'm a competitive power lifter (weight lifting for sheer strength) so obviously I'm not one to skimp on the power break. If that would sway suggestions one way or another.

Taom..best $25 you'll spend.

lvlss42190

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Where can I buy them at? I've read about them in another thread but couldn't find anything on them.

The Renfro

Outsville.com
Silver Member
When it explodes come look for the HAMMERHEAD break tips from Outsville... They are designed for impact... Not just some pretty plastic someone pressed into tip form to fleece the sheep....

lvlss42190

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Show me some proof that they explode and I'll buy your tip. This is the 2nd time I've seen you post something of this nature and I've looked. I cannot find any evidence these tips self destruct.

lvlss42190

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Because Renfro has been silent all day I've done a little bit more digging in my spare time on Taom tips.

Now, the general opinion is that they appear to be made out of some kind of plastic ( I have no idea, I've never gotten to physically look at or touch one yet) Most suggest that it is thermoplastic, others say thermoset plastic. There are some major differences between the two.

IF** they are a thermoset plastic, there may be some truth to what renfro says about them exploding as thermoset plastics have poor impact qualities. However, on the other hand Thermoplastics take impacts very well and this would pose little to no problem to the quality of the tip.

This is of course IF and ONLY IF the assumptions are correct. I have seen no proof one way or the other if either of these materials is what they are actually made of, I have heard nothing but positive reviews on Taom tips other than this one poster who has yet to show me proof to back his/her statements. I'm drawing my own conclusions here, but there is an overwhelming amount of good reviews vs the bad, so until I'm given reason to believe otherwise I'm planning on purchasing a Taom break tip to install on my BK3 as soon as I get a return email from their sales department or one of their distributors here in the US.

Factual comparison of Thermoset and Thermoplastics: http://www.modorplastics.com/thermoset-vs-thermoplastics

chippyboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
deleted - duplicate post

----------

My bad, I just realized I've already responded to this post.

C

Last edited:

The Renfro

Outsville.com
Silver Member
You can actually look at them under a good magnifying glass and see striations in the materials.. Anywhere you see a difference in density is where they will come apart.... They look cool likely cost a nickel a piece and they gave each pro a bag of 250 as sponsorship..... Pretty good deal for the pro since they are retailing at $25.....

lvlss42190

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ok, that would definitely not be something I want happening in the middle of a match, but what I'm trying to figure out is why you're still the only one with anything bad to say.

Not to discredit you, i'm no expert believe me. However, I do like to look into things before I purchase something and I can't find anyone else with a bad review let alone a catastrophic failure.

bnall

<---Proud Dad
Silver Member
Ok, that would definitely not be something I want happening in the middle of a match, but what I'm trying to figure out is why you're still the only one with anything bad to say.

Not to discredit you, i'm no expert believe me. However, I do like to look into things before I purchase something and I can't find anyone else with a bad review let alone a catastrophic failure.

Try odega tip.

The Renfro

Outsville.com
Silver Member

Just telling you what we have seen... Local Installer will sell you his entire stock at cost if you want them... Just PM me your info and I will get him in touch... They are still fairly new so all I can say is give it more time.. If you get your hands on one take a look under magnification that will be all the proof you need to know I am not making this up... I do not need to discredit them as our break tip will stand on it's own... We will have a money back guarantee at the expo and it's 90% likely you will see them on a major company's break cues by end of summer...

Being that we make and sell things it makes me mad to see new brands show up that are the same as some existing tips... It makes me mad when someone totally copies something already on the market.. It makes me mad seeing pool players rooked into paying for something that really isn't what they thought they were buying....

I am all for innovation... You see something you can improve go for it... But duplication or counterfeiting is not innovation.... Neither is grabbing something and selling it to the public without proper testing... We will be doing a 10,000 Impact test on the Hammerheads this weekend... Simply because we want to confirm what the engineers and their testing says....

scottjen26

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just replaced my phenolic tip on my BK2 after wanting to for a while. Mika was chatting up the TAOM, so I tried one. I'm sure he's sponsored as mentioned, but I thought it would be worth a shot.

It does feel okay when breaking, only had it a week so no explosions yet... :) Holds chalk well, I can actually shoot around with it and get some english etc.

Negative - I can no longer use my BK2 as a jump cue for longer jumps. I don't jump much, but was messing around. With stock tip, I could jump over a full ball from 14 - 16" away, make a ball in far corner, and draw back to end rail on a good shot. For sure though get over the ball and get a few feet of draw. With taom tip, I can only get over half a ball - tip is soft enough where I lost the jump part of it. Tried 10 or 12 times, possible it's my technique since I don't practice it often, but doubtful.

So, probably going to switch it out, heard good things about white diamond and local guy has some in stock so might try that. Or one of Renfro's tips, can you let me know how they compare to the main ones and how it would be for breaking and jumping? Also how much?

Thanks,
Scott