Breaking with the 9 on the spot

fish2

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I got a "good" break at 21 mph when the 1 is on the spot, I joined a tournament where the 9 is on the spot and without changing anything, the CB consistently scratches to the side or goes off the table when it hits the side pocket. CB is near the rail at the second diamond mark. I tried different CB positions but somehow, I could not get the same power as when the CB was near the rail. I aim the my cue one tip or lower below the center of the CB. Any tips on how to avoid scratching to the side without changing CB positions?

fish2

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Then you're not hitting the 1 ball dead center. Is that intentional?

pj
chgo
I am targetting the 1 ball dead center. If I am breaking from the right side, the CB when it hits the 1 ball dead center, the CB will have a natural tendency to go to the left, right?

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I am targetting the 1 ball dead center. If I am breaking from the right side, the CB when it hits the 1 ball dead center, the CB will have a natural tendency to go to the left, right?
No, but if it did, you would solve the problem by shooting the cue ball more to right side of the 1 ball. The cue ball tells you what you need to change. And as Fran said, turn down the speed if you have lost control.

Last edited:

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
When breaking at max speed, look at the cb last. I mean, during the final stroke, focus on striking the cb exactly where you intend to strike it. Your breaks will automatically become more consistent and accurate.

Tennesseejoe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You are not hitting the object ball head on. From your description, you need to aim to hit the object ball a little more to the right. You may be aiming to hit straight on but you are not.

To check out exactly where you are contacting the object ball, put a 1 inch piece of masking tape on the object ball approximately where you aim. Then break the balls at full speed. Look for the contact spot on the tape.

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sounds like you're targeting the 1 ball's "center" as viewed from the head spot, not from the side rail where you're breaking from. Aim it like a stop shot.

pj
chgo
I think what he's trying to do is keep everything the same because he's making a ball on the break aiming from that spot on the one ball with that speed, and he likes how the balls are spreading. He was hoping for a fix that would give him the same result without the scratch. Sure, you can aim at a different spot on the one ball to avoid the scratch, but what good does it do if you don't make a ball on the break? If he knows he's breaking at 21mph, then he probably already tried hitting a different spot on the one ball.

He can try hitting it the same way and softening up the speed, but that most likely won't work. The solution is to give up that position and find another sweet spot on the table to break from that makes a ball on the break without scratching. He may not see the same spread as he did before, but making a ball on the break has to be the priority.

Last edited: