Brian White

Southpaw

Swing away, Meril....
Silver Member
The thing is...I have known Brian for a long time and we are good friends. I have played him in tournies for 10 years and those of you who say "step up" or "you just want to steal", have no clue how competitive Brian really is. He's one of the most competitve people I know. And for those of you that havent been on the road with a player or been a road player or traveling player for tournies, dont realize that when you wake up to play, you are already down anywhere from $100-$500 that day before you ever hit a ball. Traveling from SC to Fla makes it where he has to win the tourney to make any money. So while I feel that the Amateur tournies are the best thing in the world to come along for me, I do understand his frustration. I hope the Open events keep on going, because I will still play in them as well. I just feel that some of the things that have been said about Brian are a little out of line. JMO.

Southpaw

stick8

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yea

Southpaw said:
The thing is...I have known Brian for a long time and we are good friends. I have played him in tournies for 10 years and those of you who say "step up" or "you just want to steal", have no clue how competitive Brian really is. He's one of the most competitve people I know. And for those of you that havent been on the road with a player or been a road player or traveling player for tournies, dont realize that when you wake up to play, you are already down anywhere from $100-$500 that day before you ever hit a ball. Traveling from SC to Fla makes it where he has to win the tourney to make any money. So while I feel that the Amateur tournies are the best thing in the world to come along for me, I do understand his frustration. I hope the Open events keep on going, because I will still play in them as well. I just feel that some of the things that have been said about Brian are a little out of line. JMO.

Southpaw
ditto!!!!!!!!! WELL SAID!!!!JUDGE THAT HE NOT BE JUDGED!!!!

stick8

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
?????

MikeJanis said:
Either way, wouldnt you want him on your side in a brawl ?
I WANT CORY DUELS ON MY SIDE WHEN IT STARTS. !!!!!:grin-square: :grin-square: :grin-square:

ribdoner

SATISFACTION GUARANTEED
Silver Member
stick8 said:
I WANT CORY DUELS ON MY SIDE WHEN IT STARTS. !!!!!:grin-square: :grin-square: :grin-square:

Who wouldn't???????? He's got the unique, god given ability of being able to sting like a butterfly and fly like a bee:confused:

JDB

Idiot Savant
Silver Member
Southpaw said:
And for those of you that havent been on the road with a player or been a road player or traveling player for tournies, dont realize that when you wake up to play, you are already down anywhere from $100-$500 that day before you ever hit a ball....

So while I feel that the Amateur tournies are the best thing in the world to come along for me...

Southpaw
Quite honestly if you are going on the road and know "that" feeling, you don't belong in an Amateur tournament either.

Southpaw

Swing away, Meril....
Silver Member
JDB said:
Quite honestly if you are going on the road and know "that" feeling, you don't belong in an Amateur tournament either.

I have been on the road with alot of players....won alot of money....and I NEVER hit a ball. Good luck getting me banned from Amateur events. :rolleyes:

Southpaw

MikeJanis

Banned
Southpaw said:
I have been on the road with alot of players....won alot of money....and I NEVER hit a ball. Good luck getting me banned from Amateur events. :rolleyes:

Southpaw

Yeah, I have seen you play. There is NO CHANCE of you getting banned anytime soon.

Now get the net andd go PRACTICE for the Viking Tour Amateur Nationals !

PS. Southpaw, did you see we now have 1 done and 7 more $2,500 added Amateur events on the schedule ? + there are at least 2 more going on the schedule. Mj www.viking9balltour.com

Mj

Southpaw

Swing away, Meril....
Silver Member
MikeJanis said:
Yeah, I have seen you play. There is NO CHANCE of you getting banned anytime soon.

Now get the net andd go PRACTICE for the Viking Tour Amateur Nationals !

PS. Southpaw, did you see we now have 1 done and 7 more $2,500 added Amateur events on the schedule ? + there are at least 2 more going on the schedule. Mj www.viking9balltour.com

Mj

Thats pretty strong when the TD says you cant ever be banned...lol. I guess I will just have to win one or two of these events coming up in Atlanta. :D Thanks for all your hard work Mike....it is really appreciated.

Southpaw

MikeJanis

Banned
Southpaw said:
Thats pretty strong when the TD says you cant ever be banned...lol. I guess I will just have to win one or two of these events coming up in Atlanta. :D Thanks for all your hard work Mike....it is really appreciated.

Southpaw

I didn't say EVER, I said, anytime soon.

Actually, it is my goal to get you banned by helping you improve your game and to help you gain the skills and confidence along with a bank roll so you can go compete in Open events.

The Viking Cue 9-Ball Tour - Creating Champions since 1994.

PS, I remember wher Corey Deul and Shawn Putnam had a hard time winning events on the Viking Tour. Will David Shadden, AKA Southpaw be the next ?

Mj

Last edited:

frankncali

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
ccshrimper said:
I know not everyone can be a top player but you can improve on your game by playing better players. In any sport or game, you can reach your maximum skill level but how do you know what that level is if you only play tournaments where the good players are kicked out? If they are not playing pool for money or wins then why object to great players playing also? I'm not talking about only regional events, it could be your little $5 tournament. I just don't get your point or argument here.

If someone is broke and wants to make a little extra cash in an easy tournament and doesn't want a ringer playing, that's their problem. Get a better job that let's you afford your hobby! I've been kicked out of tournaments before because a few threatened to leave if I played but a majority wanted me to play for the tougher competition.

IF someone is just miles above the rest of the field and playing them demoralizes the rest of the field, then I can understand a tournament director not wanting them to play. Nobody wants to play someone they can't even compete with because you can't really learn anything that you couldn't learn from just watching. But, if someone is just a ball better than a few of the other players it's silly to kick them out.

While I agree that you can get better playing better players that doesnt mean that I have to play Efren. It also doesnt mean that I have to play Brian or Stevie or Ernesto. I think the Am events work becuase it gives the players a place to play players that are BETTER than them but not extremely farther along in talent level. I get very little out of playing Efren that I could not get watching. However, if I am playing a guy thats roughly the 7ball better and I miss a hook or leave too easy of a kick then I feel it and it hurts. Watching a top player run out is great but I dont need to be in the players chair just yet.
As a player develops then I think he should start increasing the level of his opponnets. Of Course it doesnt hurt to jump in a regional event even though you can't win it.

My thoughts on local weekly events and Top players is a bit mixed. For $10 bucks its not that bad to play a Top player for expreience. But then again most people in a weekly are there because thats their night out and there chance to win. they cant win the Opens or regional level stuff so they try their hand and have fun playing the local one.
Years ago I played in a local event and Scotty Townsend was there. He entered and proceeded to win the event. I finished 2nd to him and he beat me twice. I was excited to play him but at the same time when we got our $$$ it was a little disappointing. I spent EVERY week there with many of them totally out of the cash and he came in and took the cash.
He really never had to give up any big weight either. I blew it of as a chance to play a top guy and was okay but many others were not.

I have never understood why so many players bail out of events if a strong player or a few show up. $$$$ means alot to people and no one just wants to throw it away. I do notice that in most areas its the same players at the top of all the larger local events or regional ones.

JDB

Idiot Savant
Silver Member
Southpaw said:

Southpaw
My bad... I thought that I read that you won or finished very high in an amateur event recently.

You are right, you can travel with the best players and it doesn't necessarily mean that you are a great player.

ccshrimper

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
frankncali said:
While I agree that you can get better playing better players that doesnt mean that I have to play Efren. It also doesnt mean that I have to play Brian or Stevie or Ernesto. I think the Am events work becuase it gives the players a place to play players that are BETTER than them but not extremely farther along in talent level. I get very little out of playing Efren that I could not get watching. However, if I am playing a guy thats roughly the 7ball better and I miss a hook or leave too easy of a kick then I feel it and it hurts. Watching a top player run out is great but I dont need to be in the players chair just yet.
As a player develops then I think he should start increasing the level of his opponnets. Of Course it doesnt hurt to jump in a regional event even though you can't win it.

My thoughts on local weekly events and Top players is a bit mixed. For $10 bucks its not that bad to play a Top player for expreience. But then again most people in a weekly are there because thats their night out and there chance to win. they cant win the Opens or regional level stuff so they try their hand and have fun playing the local one.
Years ago I played in a local event and Scotty Townsend was there. He entered and proceeded to win the event. I finished 2nd to him and he beat me twice. I was excited to play him but at the same time when we got our $$$ it was a little disappointing. I spent EVERY week there with many of them totally out of the cash and he came in and took the cash.
He really never had to give up any big weight either. I blew it of as a chance to play a top guy and was okay but many others were not.

I have never understood why so many players bail out of events if a strong player or a few show up. $$$$ means alot to people and no one just wants to throw it away. I do notice that in most areas its the same players at the top of all the larger local events or regional ones.

Sounds like we mostly agree, I just think the amateur or handicapped tournaments hurt more in the long run. We had a tournament for 20 years at one of our pool halls and the same guy almost always won it. Nobody cried and it was a full field with people waiting every week. One guy started a handicapped tournament at another pool hall and now we can't field 32 players on the best of days in any tournament in town. People try hard NOT to get better so they don't raise their handicap, it just sucks.

frankncali

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
ccshrimper said:
Sounds like we mostly agree, I just think the amateur or handicapped tournaments hurt more in the long run. We had a tournament for 20 years at one of our pool halls and the same guy almost always won it. Nobody cried and it was a full field with people waiting every week. One guy started a handicapped tournament at another pool hall and now we can't field 32 players on the best of days in any tournament in town. People try hard NOT to get better so they don't raise their handicap, it just sucks.

Your correct.

One MAJOR difference now compared to like when I started playing in the 80s is that pool was ultra popular then and even through the 90s.
Now its a fight and with more technology pool will continue to struggle.
Pool just isnt exciting to many and some never give it a chance.

After the COM so many people were exposed to pool that many caught the bug. We need something to sponsor that kind of interest.

In the late 80s and early 90s the room I went to had tues night weeklys that fill 64 man brackets. $5 entry -- a break pot- and $100 added.
Most of the time you were lucky if it finished before the sun came up.

I can remember having to leave for the pool room by 5 (we had about an hours drive) so that we could get a table before 8 or so. Waiting lists
all night long.

Its different now and things are going to have to change.

stick8

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
????

ccshrimper said:
I dont agree, i have been running handicap tourny at my room for 10yr and wehave from 25-60 players every sunday!!!and the same person does not win every time, how can you say that one guy won all the time and no one said anything???dont understand that??? they would be rasing hell at my room.:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: