Bridge distance from cue ball

paulempor

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hello ladies and gentlemen. What is the ideal distance from the bridge hand to the cue ball. I have noticed the further back the bridge hand the more action you get on the cue ball, while sacrificing hitting the object ball accurately.

Also at what position should your "striking" hand be at when contacting the cue ball? (middle of stroke, knuckles facing down, a little forward through the middle of the pendulam motion)

Thank you,

Paul

randyg

www.randygpool.com
Silver Member
Hello ladies and gentlemen. What is the ideal distance from the bridge hand to the cue ball. I have noticed the further back the bridge hand the more action you get on the cue ball, while sacrificing hitting the object ball accurately.

Also at what position should your "striking" hand be at when contacting the cue ball? (middle of stroke, knuckles facing down, a little forward through the middle of the pendulam motion)

Thank you,

Paul

First off, the bridge distance is measured from the vee in your hand to the back of the cue ball. The ideal distance is a little different for each player. A goal would be to have the cue stick level at time of contact with the cue ball. Normally we look at bridge lengths anywhere from 8-12 inches.

Your strike hand should fall directly below your elbow during contact, that would be idea. That's the only time your knuckles will be parallel with the stick.

randyg

derangedhermit

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Your strike hand should fall directly below your elbow during contact, that would be idea[l]. That's the only time your knuckles will be parallel with the stick.

randyg
It looks to me like many players' knuckles stay parallel to the cue after contact. The hand rotates toward the ulna (the side the little finger is on). Is there a problem with letting this happen?

Mark Avlon

Northwest Pool School
Silver Member
It looks to me like many players' knuckles stay parallel to the cue after contact. The hand rotates toward the ulna (the side the little finger is on). Is there a problem with letting this happen?

It's a sign that the grip is too tight.

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i read randy's advice about the hand under the elbow at contact
i figured that was the same as address
my hand was 3 to 4 inches forward

i moved my back hand to the back of my wrap,slightly past the wrap

my results were phenominal
all of my shots were characterized by authority of hit

this resulted in control accuracy and power

prior to my adjustment i had been explaining my stroke to others as an anemic shove
sort of shoving the ball

after positioning as described i felt an immediate control that had been missing

it was the first instruction i had ever read or tried and i feel like a fool for not seeking help earlier,my game might have developed better

i have seen randy many times in dallas but until this i didn't have a clue

thank you for the advice

dean