Broken shaft

Sheldon

dontneednostinkintitle
Silver Member
You really have to be more careful in selecting your phenolic for collars. It's tricky to get a good piece without having that sideways grain.... :rolleyes:

Been there on this one... I've even had people tell me they saw the person abusing the cue. I replace, then tell them we're done.

mortuarymike-nv

mortuarymike-nv
Silver Member
broke

Thank you for all the feedback. I am going to replace the shaft and tell him that there is no more replacements as far as broken shafts go.

I think you are getting hosed............

Looks like some one grab the cue from someone else and snap the shaft into to me.

MMike

pescadoman

Randy
Silver Member
Possibly but not always. I've seen to where people miss a shot then tap their tip on the table a little too hard and snap the shaft just like this one. As you can see in the pics, the break started at the point where the ferrule meets the shaft. The change in diameter creates a weak point where side pressure can use the ferrule like a crowbar to peel the shaft in a nice clean break. It is very similar to breaks I see at the joint of cues.

I actuality, it doesn't take a whole hell of a lot of side pressure to do it. Either way, it is still a form of "abuse." I think the the OP is doing the right thing by replacing the shaft but making it known, under no uncertain terms, that this will be the last one. It sucks but it is the right course of action.

He hit in on the ground. Don't forget the cracked collar.