Brunswick Gold Crown Cue Rack Restoration

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've been on the hunt for a Gold Crown Cue Rack to accompany my freshly restored Gold Crown I and custom Gold Crown Light I built. Shout out to Kickin' Chicken for turning me onto a for sale thread by DEACON. A deal was struck and I received my rack a couple days ago. To save on shipping, I asked DEACON to disassemble and ship minus the backing. I plan to use masonite in place of the original backing. I will paint it blue and white to match the table and plan to refinish the top and bottom cue holders with rosewood stain and clear poly.

49658679817_73edf53899_c.jpg

49658678747_34564cc06a_c.jpg

Nameplate cleaned up nice but I may repaint it
49658403631_de893e5806_c.jpg

Looks like someone tried to steal the nameplate at one point.
49658404791_994a2ac4c1_c.jpg

49658404591_544a94b131_c.jpg

Shorty fits!
49658679392_81f0bdbb79_c.jpg

49658679137_62e5b6894d_c.jpg

Wrigley thinks it's for him!
49658678937_371bc178c1_c.jpg

I got the profile for the backing drawn on the masonite. I put blue painter's tape on the inside edge of one of the sides, cut along the profile with an X-ACTO, removed it and placed it on the masonite. I measured the other side using defined points from the opposite side and marked the masonite accordingly. I used blue tape on the other side, cut the profile and placed it on the masonite in line with the marks. It’s pretty spot on. Once the weather holds up, I'll cut it out and test mount it. Who says it never rains in Southern California?

49657861768_27714a044b_c.jpg

Last edited:

Lawnboy77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cool project! It’s going to match that table perfectly. It looks like your Quality Assurance Inspector has other ideas on where this project should be going though. LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
I have one, unrestored but in nice shape. In case you were not aware, classicbilliards has the little rubber pegs for the top part. Even if yours are present they are likely hard and dry. New ones are a nice upgrade and easier on shafts.
bdec96ff2437b9872dea10876a501d8e.jpg

Sent from the future.

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have one, unrestored but in nice shape. In case you were not aware, classicbilliards has the little rubber pegs for the top part. Even if yours are present they are likely hard and dry. New ones are a nice upgrade and easier on shafts.

Sent from the future.

Yessir, I already got them.

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member

Sent from the future.

I was wondering about those rubber pegs, I have a 2 sided cue rack on a stand, many of my rubber pegs were dry and broke. I ended buying a roll of rubber rod but I had to sand each piece down slightly in my lathe to fit the holes. What a PIA that was!!!

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was wondering about those rubber pegs, I have a 2 sided cue rack on a stand, many of my rubber pegs were dry and broke. I ended buying a roll of rubber rod but I had to sand each piece down slightly in my lathe to fit the holes. What a PIA that was!!!

It seems these replacements from Classic Billiards are no different. I may have to use silicone spray in the holes to get them to slide through. They will not pass on their own.

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
It seems these replacements from Classic Billiards are no different. I may have to use silicone spray in the holes to get them to slide through. They will not pass on their own.
Aren't there little screws that pin them in place?

Sent from the future.

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
Hey glad to see the GC rack worked out between you and deacon

Those little black rubber pegs are actually called nibs and the ones you get from Classic Billiards should pass through there maybe some debris in your holes might be able to run something through them to clean them up so they will fit

An alternate idea which I've done with good result is to get rolled round rubber washers/spacers from a hardware store or some Place Like Home Depot they come in various diameters and basically just need to snip them and trim them to the length needed and when you slide them through the holes in the top of the case when you tighten the set screw they will come straight and works just fine

Looking forward to seeing this one all finished. :thumbup:

Last edited:

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey glad to see the GC rack worked out between you and deacon

Those little black rubber pegs are actually called nibs and the ones you get from Classic Billiards should pass through there maybe some debris in your holes might be able to run something through them to clean them up so they will fit

An alternate idea which I've done with good result is to get rolled round rubber washers/spacers from a hardware store or some Place Like Home Depot they come in various diameters and basically just need to snip them and trim them to the length needed and when you slide them through the holes in the top of the case when you tighten the set screw they will come straight and works just fine

Looking forward to seeing this one all finished. :thumbup:

Good call out on the debris. The trick is getting something in there. Perhaps a piece of smaller diameter dowel with sandpaper attached?

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
To make matters worse, the end pieces are broken off inside the holes.

Last edited:

stevelomako

Love you all!
Silver Member
To make matters works, the end pieces are broken off inside the holes.

A small screw will get the end ones out.

Let me see if I have any nibs left from when I had the pool rooms. I’ll send you a PM if I do. Brunswick charged a buck a piece for them but I couldn’t find anything better.

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A small screw will get the end ones out.

Let me see if I have any nibs left from when I had the pool rooms. I’ll send you a PM if I do. Brunswick charged a buck a piece for them but I couldn’t find anything better.

Are they the same as the ones being sold by Classic Billiards?

stevelomako

Love you all!
Silver Member
Are they the same as the ones being sold by Classic Billiards?

They were originals I bought directly from Brunswick.

I used to email one of the guys at Brunswick about different info all the time, he was the ‘go to’ guy there. I called and went to a bunch of different ‘Brunswick dealers’ and no one knew anything about anything, it was sad.

stevelomako

Love you all!
Silver Member

Attachments

• B3FF7D90-6790-441E-8C0F-3BD876C8C5EF.jpg
    B3FF7D90-6790-441E-8C0F-3BD876C8C5EF.jpg
    185.8 KB · Views: 422