Buffalo Billiards One Pocket

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
separate from the entry fees
there is an auction (calcutta) where you can buy a player
all the money generated from auctioning off the players is then divided into payouts for
1st/2nd/3rd and farther based on the discretion of tournament director
usually decided prior to the auction
so if you buy the person who comes in second
you get 2nd place money regardless of what you paid for that player
for example
danny smith went for 3k in the calcutta
but whoever bought him won $66,900 from the calcutta for his 2nd place finish,,,,,:eek:
btw
usually the player is given the option to buy in and get a piece of his calcutta price prior to the event starting

8cree

Reverse Engineer
Silver Member
I never heard of a pro buying himself for more than a couple hundred. Fedor must not know the ropes! ha ha ha
In 2011, I bought Dennis Hatch at the US Open for a few hundred, he split it with me even. Yea I realize that's not 40k but if you want to win half back, pretty sure you better pay half in. The ropes you speak of must not be very long... lol

Last edited:

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What do you mean by "Fedor must not know the ropes"?
Gambling ropes. The #1 advantage of being a TOP player, even on a local level, is you always have backers. For a top pro to put up 20K USD (if that story is legit) on themselves is extremely surprising. Why take such a risk out of your own pocket. It doesn't make sense, IMO.

alphadog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Gambling ropes. The #1 advantage of being a TOP player, even on a local level, is you always have backers. For a top pro to put up 20K USD (if that story is legit) on themselves is extremely surprising. Why take such a risk out of your own pocket. It doesn't make sense, IMO.
Believe he had won 35G before the Calcutta. Maybe that was all his money maybe not. Anyways the 20G in the Calcutta would have given him 2 to 1 on the money and perhaps he thought that was good enough to try. Perhaps he expected even better odds?

poolnut7879

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I guess its surprising because top players are usually broke, but Fedor is not a top player. He is a world champion and probably has accumulated a healthy bankroll over the past few years.

It shows that he has so much confidence in his ability that he is willing to buy himself for half of what he went for as opposed to getting a "jelly roll" and being at the mercy of how much the buyer wants to give him.

Also a backer and a buyer in a Calcutta are 2 different things, but sometimes the same.

As for as the story being legit, Gorst posted on his FB page that he bought himself.

Sounds like you need to learn the ropes.

poolnut7879

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Believe he had won 35G before the Calcutta. Maybe that was all his money maybe not. Anyways the 20G in the Calcutta would have given him 2 to 1 on the money and perhaps he thought that was good enough to try. Perhaps he expected even better odds?
Where do you get 2 to 1 on the money from?