Build a cue

GBCues

Damn, still .002 TIR!
Gold Member
Silver Member
"Not looking to spend a fortune, as the cue is basically cnc'ed."

What do you mean by this? I understand "spend a fortune", but how does CNC factor into the cost/value of a cue?

I'm not bidding on this cue, but thought I would ask on behalf of others.

Gary

devorator

Ipoolmyheart@thetable
Silver Member
First thanks a lot for answers...
Second ...thanks a lot for the answers...

Now i am sorry for the word recut as I am not english native...I meant cnc the tulipwood points for ebony...
First post updated.

Chris

Sent from my SCH-I535

Last edited:

bdcues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hello everyone,
I decided to order my next cue.
You have the details in the pic attached.
I wany 5 points (tulipwood with ebony and silver veneer) with 3 reverted in between (only silver veneer)
Only thing that ca be change is amboyna instead or tulipwood, but I highly prefer tw.
I want a flawless cue with a mirror like finish on it.
Not looking to spend a fortune, as the cue is basically cnc'ed.

I want to know who can make this and all details that comes with (time, costs, suggestions...).

Thanks everyone and I am waiting your offers.

Chris

Just curious what you think this cue should cost? There are a couple of considerations here... including the almost 17" long forearm.

jschelin99

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Your design is nice. Wish I could make it for you, but I'm swamped.

A couple things:
1. You want 5 points up and 3 points down. You want the down points to be centered between the up points. However, 3 down points cannot all be centered between 5 up points. The math doesn't work. 3 down points can only be centered between 6 up points (or 9, or 12, etc.). So, you'll have to change you numbers somewhere.

2. You're picture looks like the points are razor sharp at the tips. That's not something that will be typically achieved with CNC inlays (razor sharp tips are typical with cut points - different process). With CNC inlays, the sharpness of the corners are dependent on the diameter of the end mill. Very small end mills are expensive and break easily. Therefore, many multiple depth steps are required, which means more time. Time = money. Also, no matter how small the end mill, the corner is still going to be rounded. That's why cue makers only bother going down to certain small sized end mill. Any smaller and it's just not worth it.

Good luck. If you get it made, please post pics.

devorator

Ipoolmyheart@thetable
Silver Member
Thanks

Jeff thanks a bunch your math is right. It was a typo tho...6 not 5 points an 3 reverted in between. You are also right about rounded points...I mean I guess you know better than me as I am not a cuemaker...just an enthusiast... So as sharp as it can be will be perfect. i am not a purist...and I am not looking to sell this cue as is my design and I love what I created.
Thanks a lot for the heads-up and I'll post the evolution for sure if...which I doubt...
My problem is I forgot who am I talking in this section...and for some here "Ask the Cuemaker" means "Ask the cuemaker - if you know what to ask"....
Well...I am not a interested in making cues so I won't start reading all the books about how everything in the build process is called...or how many inches...how much time...how deep the cut is....how fast the lathe spins...ect.
I am interested in making a deal with someone who can make this design of mine came true. THAT'S ALL!
I didn't ask for smarta** opinions nor for some sort of misplaced irony.

I updated the first post again. IT"S IMPORTANT....REALLY!

Thanks again Jeff, appreciated.

Chris

pescadoman

Randy
Silver Member
I'll suggest you simply pick your favorite maker and ask him....

Did you already think of that???

I wouldn't use the CNC argument with Black Boar though....

cuegrip

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What exactly do you consider a fortune? You may be better off approaching several cue builders and ask them for a estimate and time frame. Just trying to give you a couple things that may help you reach your goal of getting a cue made

97Buick22

Go Blackhawks!
Silver Member
Hello everyone,
You have the details in the pic attached.
I wany 6 points (tulipwood with ebony and silver veneer) with 3 reverted in between (only silver veneer)
Only thing that ca be change is amboyna instead or tulipwood, but I highly prefer tw.
I want a flawless cue with a mirror like finish on it.
Not looking to spend a fortune, as the cue is basically cnc'ed.

I want to know who can make this and all details that comes with (time, costs, suggestions...).

Thanks everyone and I am waiting your offers. I reserve my right to choose who am I working with. So even if you come with the lowest offer ever don't be surprised if I say no. Not everyone deserves respect...some less than others...

Thanks again,

Chris

Hello Chris, I'll be straight with you. The cue you have come up with has unorthadox porportioning and is not an easy cue to make. CNC or no CNC doesn't matter. It's not a cheap design to exacute by any means. My guess is that you will not get a ton of bids on your project, because not every cuemaker can, or will do this cue. If you are open to some design changes and open to spending some decent coin. I'm sure you can find the right cuemaker to make the cue for you.

cuegrip

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hello Chris, I'll be straight with you. The cue you have come up with has unorthadox porportioning and is not an easy cue to make. CNC or no CNC doesn't matter. It's not a cheap design to exacute by any means. My guess is that you will not get a ton of bids on your project, because not every cuemaker can, or will do this cue. If you are open to some design changes and open to spending some decent coin. I'm sure you can find the right cuemaker to make the cue for you.

Pretty much sums it up. There are many ways to build a cue, most of them are costly, especially if you want it to your exact dimensions. You should spend some time researching several makers and see if they would like to make the cue for you. If you insist on trying to get people to bid on making a cue for you, at least come up with a monetary range that you would like to stay around. Good luck:)

I forgot to add, almost every cuemaker will charge accordingly...For example one cuemaker might charge $1000 Wheatbucks while another charges $2500

Last edited:

bdcues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I will not be bidding on making this cue either but wonder if the OP has found a maker and at what price?

devorator

Ipoolmyheart@thetable
Silver Member
Found

No I didn;t find any...which makes me wonder...
Thanks all...consider it closed.

bdcues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No I didn;t find any...which makes me wonder...
Thanks all...consider it closed.

Makes you wonder what? Big conspiracy going on??

I actually like the design, I just see problems in making it but would love to see it completed just like others here. Curiosity still makes me wonder what you think this cue should cost to make? Would appreciate a pm with a price if only to get an idea where you stand as the "Not looking to spend a fortune, as the cue is basically cnc'ed." statement seems to be a stumbling block for any one bidding on this cue.

carguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hello everyone,
...........Not everyone deserves respect...some less than others...

Thanks again,
Chris

Chris- You know, i like the proportions of your cue design a lot, particularly the two rather than three piece construction and the flared rear section.

However, your concept of where CNC fits into cue making is inaccurate . It doesn't make ANYTHING a cakewalk, including anything on your unique cue.

But listen to yourself: right up front you are expressing disrespect for some of those who might serve you well.
The cue you describe is not that easy to build and you seem righteously quality conscious; you want a high quality job ("flawless"), yet you seem very budget conscious.

In the mechanic business, and in other endeavors, I suspect, there is an old saying:
"There are three ways to do the job: Good, Quick, and Cheap. You can have any two."

So in cue building, there is no Quick, so that leaves Good and Cheap.

Think about it.

Robin Snyder