Bustamante vs. Reyes

T

tim

Does anyone know who won? I imagine their match is over by now...

azhousepro

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Bustamante 5-3 and 5-1. Word I heard was that Efren might not have been playing his best game in the match.

Mike

nbc

Cuefather
Silver Member
AzHousePro said:
Bustamante 5-3 and 5-1. Word I heard was that Efren might not have been playing his best game in the match.

Mike

So, they think Efren gave the match to Django?

Or Efren just wasnt playing well?

nbc

S

scratch

methinks Efren just can't beat Django anymore. Break is the biggest factor.

Micktmason

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
he wasn't giving anything, he had some hard kicks etc., busta played great especially second set.........

bruin70

don't wannabe M0DERATOR
Silver Member
busta has been very tough on efrem of late. but i had a feeling efrem didn't try as hard last year with the unfortunate passing of busta's son.

Joseph Cues

Cue Nut
Silver Member
bruin70 said:
busta has been very tough on efrem of late. but i had a feeling efrem didn't try as hard last year with the unfortunate passing of busta's son.
Busta's the favorite when they're playing on a table with HUGE pockets. Jeesh, Olhausen with 4 3/4 corner pockets. I'm surprised Busta didn't make the 9 in every other break.
Efren tried hard to beat Busta last year at Cardiff even though Busta's daughter just passed away.
In short races, it's really a crapshoot between two world class players.

N

Nineball Tim

I never heard the story behind Bustas Daughter dying. Thats terrible. How old was she and how did she die?

nbc

Cuefather
Silver Member
Nineball Tim said:
I never heard the story behind Bustas Daughter dying. Thats terrible. How old was she and how did she die?

Happened during the 2002 Cardiff tourney.

I believe it was before Busta's semifinal match or quarterfinal match.

Seems that Busta's 1 yr. old daughter had a fever (the baby was in the Philippines, with the mother), was brought to the hospital, and unfortunately, passed away really quickly. I think she had viral meningitis or something like that.

Anyway, Bustamante was heartbroken when he heard the news, and wanted to go home and forfeit the rest of his games. He just couldnt get a flight out immediately...and after talking to his wife on the phone, he was convinced by her, and the rest of the Philippines team, to continue playing and to dedicate his wins to his daughter. So, even while he didnt win in the finals, just the fact that he reached it, with such a heavy burden in his heart and mind, is an achievement that cant be overlooked.

My apologies if my facts are screwed up... I've forgotten a few of the details.

nbc

Koop

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That sounds about right. All the players from that point wore a ribbon in his daughters memory also. Very classy and talk about playing under the most extreme of circumstances. I think anyone who was following the tournament had a lump in their throat when the news broke. Terrible thing for anyone to have to go through.