butt affecting the feel of the tip

I changed the tip on one of my McDermott cues recently, taking off a rapidly deteriorating kamui soft and replacing it with a moori medium. The hit was horrible, hard and lifeless and with no feeling. I presumed the moori was a dud, so I changed it for a talisman. The hit is exactly the same as with the moori.

I bought another McDermott to flip, and tried this shaft with the butt. Much to my surprise, the tip felt ok again, much softer and more responsive, almost as good as it was with the kamui.

Why does a different butt affect how a tip hits and feels?
 
I have always stood by the position that every single component in the cue is EQUALLY important. Your example is exactly why. A cue butt can be a dud due to any of the components, or the construction, being faulty. It's why many custom cue makers are so selective about wood choice and construction techniques.
 
I've seen the same lifeless and unusually hard hit from Moori mediums.
New tips, 4-shafts for 2-previously great playing interchangeable Cog butts I sold to a friend.
He switched them to Kamui Black soft, and the Cogs played great again.
As far as this McDermott butt phenomenom, I would not flip the flipper butt until this all
gets sorted out.
My old D-19 hits so good it doesn't even need a tip.
Hope this helps><::rolleyes:
 
Quido Orlandi made a Cue for me, with a Medium Kamui. It feels like "my MagicWand", a cue made for me to play better. I exchanged the Tiger tip on my Pechauer (my ex-player), that played well, but not as good as my new Orlandi Cue.

I exchanged the tip on my Pechauer with another Medium Kamui. The Pechauer now hits like a log.

Both cues aren't players anymore and both Kamui tips aren't the same. One tip is great & the other tip is trash. $45 (Kamui tip & install) for trash, plus new tip cost, install & wasted time is no fun.

I think all Cues can be made to hit better, by modifying something reasonably easy to modify or exchange. Weight, balance. tip and or shaft (also shaft components) .

Good Luck...
 
Did those two Mooris come from the same source and about the same period ?

There was only one moori - i changed it for a medium talisman after two sessions because the hit was so bad. Point is, the hit of the talisman is exactly the same as the moori, but when i use the shaft with the new buttt, it plays and feels fine. This is not a case of dud tips, rather the butt changing the hit and feel of the tip. This has surprised me greatly.
 
I have always stood by the position that every single component in the cue is EQUALLY important. Your example is exactly why. A cue butt can be a dud due to any of the components, or the construction, being faulty. It's why many custom cue makers are so selective about wood choice and construction techniques.

The old butt is quite a nice cue, and there is no problem with the construction etc. The new one is the cheapest american made cue McDermott make.

I think you're right in what you say generally.
 
It kind of sounds like compairing apples and oranges. You had a Kamui soft and went to a Moori medium. Why didn't you try a Morri soft? Also, how does the other shaft/butt combination feel? Not saying you are wrong in any way, just curious.
 
Back
Top