Can anyone ID all these players?

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
BTW...This was just before Kim became a great player. Barry and Bob Wong are now deceased.

Kim Davenport ? He was a great player 30 years ago. Is the poster older?

You're going to remember drawing this poster somewhere around 1984.

Freddie <~~~ older than the poster

Last edited:

TX Poolnut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here's what I can deduce from the poster:

St. Patrick's Day is always on March 17. The tournament was played on Saturday, March 19 (two days after the holiday). St. Patrick's Day must have been on a Thursday that year.

Years in the general time frame where St. Patrick's Day was on a Thursday were 1977, 1983, 1988, 1994, and 2005. It must be one of these years.

TX Poolnut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The Pepsi logo on the poster was retired in 1991. It was probably 1988 or earlier.

So we have it down to 1977, 1983, or 1988.

Sealegs50

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here's what I can deduce from the poster:

St. Patrick's Day is always on March 17. The tournament was played on Saturday, March 19 (two days after the holiday). St. Patrick's Day must have been on a Thursday that year.

Years in the general time frame where St. Patrick's Day was on a Thursday were 1977, 1983, 1988, 1994, and 2005. It must be one of these years.

Good observation. I would guess that it was 1983. That was around the time when Barry obtained a license to sell beer. It wouldn't have made much sense to highlight the beer license 5 years later. It would have also been about 2 years before Kim turned pro, although he definitely had regional "rock star" status by then.

Teacherjohn

Registered
Actually, looking again the poster probably was drawn in the early 80's. Kim is not on there as he was just starting to become a great player. He used to play Ferroni all the time, get him stuck a couple thousand but Ferroni kept raising the bet till he got even. Then he would quit. Finally he said, "That's it. I aint playing that kid nor more. I'm gonna start staking him." And so he did. Didn't book any losers that I know of

poolguy4u

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
BTW...This was just before Kim became a great player. Barry and Bob Wong are now deceased.

If you are talking Kim Davenport...he was a great player during these years but

I think he stayed on the West Coast and played. He just wasn't traveling yet.

TX Poolnut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Actually, looking again the poster probably was drawn in the early 80's. Kim is not on there as he was just starting to become a great player. He used to play Ferroni all the time, get him stuck a couple thousand but Ferroni kept raising the bet till he got even. Then he would quit. Finally he said, "That's it. I aint playing that kid nor more. I'm gonna start staking him." And so he did. Didn't book any losers that I know of

If you remember drawing this in the early 80s, then it has to be 1983. The closest years to 1983 that had St. Patrick's Day on a Thursday were 1977 or 1988.

I think it's settled. This tournament was in 1983. :)

TX Poolnut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
FWIW, Kim Davenport was just 27 at this tournament. Young buck.

He won his first big tournament in 1985.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
The Pepsi logo on the poster was retired in 1991. It was probably 1988 or earlier.

So we have it down to 1977, 1983, or 1988.

Whether '83 or '88, thats 28 or 33 years ago. And Teacherman says that this was just befor Kim became a great player. I'd already heard of Kim Davenport in '88' (in Mass), and he was already a professional tourney winner by then.

I'm going with 1983.

Freddie <~~~ missed it by one?

poolguy4u

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Whether '83 or '88, thats 28 or 33 years ago. And Teacherman says that this was just befor Kim became a great player. I'd already heard of Kim Davenport in '88' (in Mass), and he was already a professional tourney winner by then.

I'm going with 1983.

Freddie <~~~ missed it by one?

:thumbup:

One of the biggest tournaments in history...1985 Kim was tied with Buddy Hall for 7th and 8th place. He even did a lot better than me.:eek:

http://www.sfbilliards.com/accustats/V1_N01.pdf