Can anyone sell me RKC 250?

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Dunno the whole story, so you may have tried it.
But to answer your Q: if you actually developed and own the brand and formula, i would have found another, smaller, custom formulator who actually wanted your business. There are a fair number of them out there. My guess is that your product chemistry is "special" because it was formulated for a very specific purpose. But i doubt that the chemistry is special in terms of industrial process. IOW, almost any formulator, or college chem lab could reverse engineer it. from a small sample.

OTOH, how many gallons of pool table cloth adhesive (all brands) is sold in a year?

:)
Mechanics have no problem buying my adhesive, but in the quantity home owners want to buy has not been in the distribution plans until recently.

Ssonerai

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hardest jobs in the world are made easy by those that don't have to do them😉

Admitted.
My dad was a chemist, and sometimes worked side jobs for his old college roommate also chemist, who developed a custom industrial coatings (paint) business. They'd make & test any kind of paint you wanted for custom apps & you could provide and slap any label you wanted on the product cans. There are adhesive companies that do similar as you know from your first go-around before they got bought.

It just seems a shame that the adhesive company won't continue "your" brand if your expert understanding of the requirements and performance of pool table application was an essential part to developing the formula. (Product would not exist without that initiative). Brand matters and sells. Look at any product, generic vs quality brand.

Anyway, best of luck with it!

smt

PS, I do understand the issues, though.
I designed & developed patterns, & used to sell cast iron castings for machine tool gaging. Must have been the kiss of death - every time i re-ordered from a foundry, it was going broke and could not fulfill the new order. 4 different ones in a row. Last one (lost/stole/destroyed?) my patterns on the way down the drain. Sourcing/manufacturing stuff at an effective/competitive price all costs considered, is tough.

Last edited:

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Admitted.
My dad was a chemist, and sometimes worked side jobs for his old college roommate also chemist, who developed a custom industrial coatings (paint) business. They'd make & test any kind of paint you wanted for custom apps & you could provide and slap any label you wanted on the product cans. There are adhesive companies that do similar as you know from your first go-around before they got bought.

It just seems a shame that the adhesive company won't continue "your" brand if your expert understanding of the requirements and performance of pool table application was an essential part to developing the formula. (Product would not exist without that initiative). Brand matters and sells. Look at any product, generic vs quality brand.

Anyway, best of luck with it!

smt

PS, I do understand the issues, though.
I designed & developed patterns, & used to sell cast iron castings for machine tool gaging. Must have been the kiss of death - every time i re-ordered from a foundry, it was going broke and could not fulfill the new order. 4 different ones in a row. Last one (lost/stole/destroyed?) my patterns on the way down the drain. Sourcing/manufacturing stuff at an effective/competitive price all costs considered, is tough.
The problem was, Slocum chemicals sold to Choice Brands, then Choice brands sold to an even bigger company. Then the overall owner of Slocum said in order to keep making my formula, I had to give up the quart can quantities, no more private labeling, no more dyed adhesive, and I had to give permission for a manufacturing company in MD to use my adhesive so between Diamond and them, it would make it worth while to keep making it, BUT the adhesive had to be packaged in 1 gallon paint cans, and nothing else. So, Chad at Diamond and I agreed to their terms ao we could continue to distribute my adhesive. The manufacturing company in MD is using my adhesive in production, and does not sell it, as it's the only adhesive they've ever come across that didn't have a negative effect on what ever they produce, someing to do with Styrofoam or foam rubber.

Ssonerai

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So, Chad at Diamond and I agreed to their terms ao we could continue to distribute my adhesive. The manufacturing company in MD is using my adhesive in production, and does not sell it, as it's the only adhesive they've ever come across that didn't have a negative effect on what ever they produce, someing to do with Styrofoam or foam rubber.

That sounds cool!
Hope you get some income from it.
Maybe more non-pool related companies will find a use, you just never know.

smt

Coos Cues

Coos Cues
Because Choice Brands bought Slocum Adhesives, then another company bought Choice Brands. Then, we were told they wasn't going to make my adhesive anymore because it wasn't cost effective. So, in order to keep it in production, we had to agree to making some changes, such as no more quart cans, no more pour spout gallon cans, no more dye, and no more private labeling, OR no more adhesive, so, what do you think I did? What would you have done?
The question is how long did it take for your ass to heal after that screwing?:LOL:

muskyed

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Standard contact cement sold at hardware stores and the like in qt cans will melt foamboard if using it to mount posters.