Can I do anything for GC rail casting

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Are you aware of the fact that the GC3 rail trim isn't screwed on? It's instead nail in place, and is a pain in the butt to get off!!

I did not. Thanks for the info! I was just pointing out extruded pieces are not in the same category as the castings when it comes to powder coating.

Serious question for you. If someone was to successfully remove the nailed in rail trim on a III, could it be retrofitted with screws like the I and II? Why the hell would they nail it?

realkingcobra

Silver Member
I did not. Thanks for the info! I was just pointing out extruded pieces are not in the same category as the castings when it comes to powder coating.

Serious question for you. If someone was to successfully remove the nailed in rail trim on a III, could it be retrofitted with screws like the I and II? Why the hell would they nail it?
No, the screws would be visible between the rail trim and skirts.

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No, the screws would be visible between the rail trim and skirts.

Got it. If I recall, the trim is purely aesthetic on the III due to the aprons screwing into the rails vs. the I and II where it serves a purpose of attaching the aprons. Correct?

realkingcobra

Silver Member

And its not like you can just pull the nails out, they're brad nails. You have to use a hardwood block and a hammer and pound the end of the trim to slide it off, in doing so, you pull the heads of the nails through the trim, leaving them in the rail, so after you've removed the trim, you still have to come back and pull them out.

gazman100

Brunswick Gold Crowns - Qld Australia
Silver Member
Outgassing is a worry on the GC castings.
I did my own powdering coating in Silver Vein to help combat the outgassing.

Attachments

• 20200201_155924~01.jpg
    20200201_155924~01.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 109