Can I install a white diamond break tip by hand?

TwoRailDave

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I’ve probably put around 100 playing tips on by hand. Can I install a break tip without a lathe? Any suggestions would be very appreciated. Thanks, Dave

boogieman

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ping.
I’ve probably put around 100 playing tips on by hand. Can I install a break tip without a lathe? Any suggestions would be very appreciated. Thanks, Dave
I am not a cue maker.

I don't think I would... I mean you can but it would probably involve a lot of sandpaper through the different grits and maybe even a metal file to start. I did them on my sharpshooter drill based "lathe." It was a major PITA without a real lathe but that did help. IIRC I used a metal file and spun it to get it close then used a kardashi (sp?) knife.

It could probably be done, hopefully someone will have some more info.

Dave38

theemperorhasnoclotheson
Silver Member
And....that's why it's ask the cuemaker forum, not ask the diy'er forum, especially if you haven't any experience in this topic.
Doing a regular leather or layered tip can be quite a bit to learn, and after a learning curve, may look good....BUT a real break tip like the white diamond, G10, phenolic.....etc.... is Very difficult to do by hand. Sanding leather to match the ferrule is much easier than sanding/filing some composite that is much harder material than most ferrules. It is best left to someone with a lathe and some experience with hard break tips IMO.
You can always try, but there's a reason why cue guys exist.

xX-Wizard-Xx

And....that's why it's ask the cuemaker forum, not ask the diy'er forum, especially if you haven't any experience in this topic.
Doing a regular leather or layered tip can be quite a bit to learn, and after a learning curve, may look good....BUT a real break tip like the white diamond, G10, phenolic.....etc.... is Very difficult to do by hand. Sanding leather to match the ferrule is much easier than sanding/filing some composite that is much harder material than most ferrules. It is best left to someone with a lathe and some experience with hard break tips IMO.
You can always try, but there's a reason why cue guys exist.
I don't think applying a leather tip requires a rocket scientist. I have been applying tips since I was 15 without a lathe .. I can put a tip on that is almost as good as lathe job ... I have never had a tip to fall off and I have people asking for me to put tips on for them and I do consider tip replacement a do it yourself job . I also recommend people just do it yourself it is not that hard and kind of enjoyable. I also think phenolic tips are overkill ....

Dave38

theemperorhasnoclotheson
Silver Member
Not saying it cannot be done, especially with leather....but doing a White diamond as the OP asked about, is a tough one to start to learn with. Biggest danger IMO, is damaging the ferrule while trying to make it flush with it. Another big point is that the ferrule MUST be flat and the tip cannot rock when dry fitted.....a leather tip has a bit of give, the white diamond does not. If not very flat, the tip will pop off after a short bit.

Dave38

theemperorhasnoclotheson
Silver Member
You don't need to be a cue maker to fit a tip perfectly.
You are correct, as far as a normal leather tip goes, but My posts have been made concerning the Original Poster's question...Can he install a White Diamond Break tip without a lathe. So far only 2 of us have addressed the Actual question.

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't think applying a leather tip requires a rocket scientist. I have been applying tips since I was 15 without a lathe .. I can put a tip on that is almost as good as lathe job ... I have never had a tip to fall off and I have people asking for me to put tips on for them and I do consider tip replacement a do it yourself job . I also recommend people just do it yourself it is not that hard and kind of enjoyable. I also think phenolic tips are overkill ....
What does installing a leather tip have to do with this thread?
I'm Embarrassed, your signature says
Well known member.
I apologize, I don't know you!!

Dave38

theemperorhasnoclotheson
Silver Member
Funny how none of the replys have told the OP how to do a composite tp by hand, which they themselves are basically saying is easy.......(and they only mention concerning a leather tip.....and have not mentioned a composite tip) but that was not his question....where are the step by step instructions? He did ask, after being told it can be done by xx-Wizard-xx, and yet xx-Wizard-xx hasn't told him how to do it.....how about you....Greg M....where is your advise? Crickets.....
He Specifically asked about a White Diamond tip.....and doing a white diamond or any composite tip is NOT anywhere near an easy task doing it strictly by hand. I strongly advise having a cue repair guy do it, considering the damage you may do to the ferrule trying to get it flush and then paying someone to replace the ferrule AND doing the tip anyways.

Hence my comments earlier about it being the ask the cuemaker forum, not the diyer forum.........if some members get their 'FEELINGS' hurt because of my comment.... too bad, read the sticky about this particular section.......
It's about Getting REAL answers rather than a bunch of diy'ers that haven't even done what is being asked about throwing their 2 cents in .....and didn't even read the post fully to come close to giving a real answer.
Sincerely,
Dave

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Funny how none of the replys have told the OP how to do a composite tp by hand, which they themselves are basically saying is easy.......(and they only mention concerning a leather tip.....and have not mentioned a composite tip) but that was not his question....where are the step by step instructions? He did ask, after being told it can be done by xx-Wizard-xx, and yet xx-Wizard-xx hasn't told him how to do it.....how about you....Greg M....where is your advise? Crickets.....
He Specifically asked about a White Diamond tip.....and doing a white diamond or any composite tip is NOT anywhere near an easy task doing it strictly by hand. I strongly advise having a cue repair guy do it, considering the damage you may do to the ferrule trying to get it flush and then paying someone to replace the ferrule AND doing the tip anyways.

Hence my comments earlier about it being the ask the cuemaker forum, not the diyer forum.........if some members get their 'FEELINGS' hurt because of my comment.... too bad, read the sticky about this particular section.......
It's about Getting REAL answers rather than a bunch of diy'ers that haven't even done what is being asked about throwing their 2 cents in .....and didn't even read the post fully to come close to giving a real answer.
Sincerely,
Dave
Pictures or they've never done it

boogieman

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ping.

Sincerely,
Dave
Post #4 there boss. I'm not a cue maker but I told him how to do it, even down to the tools. If I could afford a lathe, all the other equipment and a place to put it believe me, I'd be making cues. My setup doesn't have the precision to do "real" stuff. I'll put my tip job and shaft refinishing up against ANY cue maker. They may be quicker than my job but I promise mine are as good both in adhesion and aesthetics. Time, patience, a brain and care is what you need. Being a nitpicker also helps. He's not asking how to make a cue, he's asking how to install a tip. If you're changing tires on a car do you have to be the engineer who designed the engine or drive train? Nope.

For the WD DIY job, I don't recommend it. First off you have a high risk of ruining a ferrule unless you're careful. Second, it's a major pain in the ass, it's not impossible but figure on spending hours on it and it might not turn out right. Third, your time has to be worth something.

I'd honestly take it to a cue maker, or a repair person with a shop. It's a shit job without a lathe and not worth the frustration. I can do them perfectly with my setup but it takes almost a freaking hour. The drive to a competent cue maker or repair place in my area takes an hour each way. An hour of my time is worth more than the gas and paying him. The quality is the same.

If he would rather do it himself I also told him how I used the sharpshooter drill based "lathe" thing to do it. That costs money but some people like to collect tools. The sharpshooter isn't as good as a lathe but for things like cleaning and putting tips on, they work great.

Oh, I also forgot to mention I use Gorilla Glue brand gel CA. I've installed 3 WD break tips with it and none have come off, after tens of thousands of breaks. As for the sticky I could give a rat's ass. I only comment on things I know, re-tipping, what glue to use, cleaning a shaft, steaming dents, finishing a shaft and the products to use. I also start each post with "I am not a cue maker" so the person knows how much faith to put in what I say and also so nits can't say I claimed to be something I'm not.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I put one on my J&J j/b. I used Kiridashi knife and different grades of sandpaper. Actually came out pretty nice. I used BootGlue(shoe fix super glue) i had laying around and its been on for about 4-5yrs now.

TwoRailDave

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Thank-you everyone. I’ve never used a Kiridashi knife but it looks like a good way to get the tip flush with the ferrule and a good tool to add to the box.

I have a lot of cheaper cues and thought it would be nice to put a carbon fiber pad and a white diamond tip on them (13mm plus) and sell them cheap or give them to friends. I’m not sure how well the ferrules will hold up; if they will crack quickly, but it pains me to see so many people paying crazy money for break cues these days…people that primarily use them for 8 ball league.

TwoRailDave

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I’m thinking about making a fixture/jig to hold a dremel while I rotate or extend the shaft to slowly sand it down flush. These are cheap cues so it’s not a tragedy if the job isn’t perfect or if I mess up a couple ferrules along the way.

chuckpilegis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Maybe use a router bit so you can run the bearing against the ferrule
I’m thinking about making a fixture/jig to hold a dremel while I rotate or extend the shaft to slowly sand it down flush. These are cheap cues so it’s not a tragedy if the job isn’t perfect or if I mess up a couple ferrules along the way.