Can pool room owners play in their own tournaments?

Scratch~

Registered
One of the neat things about owning a business is the fact you get to run it any way you feel like running it. If the cat wanted to close the doors forever, then guess what.
I'm not saying that it is good practice, or even sane, but there is the thing about being king in your very own pond, you get too if you wanna!
Where I play they have a rule, if you win the C tournament one week, then you're not allowed to play in it the next week. So, if the owner was to win it then he wouldn't play in it the next week ..... of course since he is the owner he get's to change the rules on a whim if he wanted to. It wouldn't be cool, but again "it's good to be king."
Open tournaments are pretty much to the point of ... you had better be the best, or you had better get better, that is if you don't like losing.

dundeewizard

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One of the neat things about owning a business is the fact you get to run it any way you feel like running it. If the cat wanted to close the doors forever, then guess what.
I'm not saying that it is good practice, or even sane, but there is the thing about being king in your very own pond, you get too if you wanna!
Where I play they have a rule, if you win the C tournament one week, then you're not allowed to play in it the next week. So, if the owner was to win it then he wouldn't play in it the next week ..... of course since he is the owner he get's to change the rules on a whim if he wanted to. It wouldn't be cool, but again "it's good to be king."
Open tournaments are pretty much to the point of ... you had better be the best, or you had better get better, that is if you don't like losing.

agree totally, but the tournament is handicapped its A and B chart but there is no rule if yiou win then you cant play next week. i agree can do what you want but just saying its going to backfire, so obviously has the perviabal king he hcan do what he wants but how long will it last and is it worth it?

dundeewizard

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

well sounds like many of you were right last monday 18 this week 8, we stil played but only payed the top two spots him and his buddy from out of town split first. this time no A and B side... I can see it diminishing fast. maybe that what happens when you have a player running business than a businessman

VIProfessor

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Having been in the EXACT situation as the room owner I can say this with a fair degree of confidence: There's nothing wrong with it as long as it's fairly run, but if you're a business owner who's not mad at your money it's a bad idea that's going to cost you customers in the end. As a pool hall owner your main hustle is no longer on the table; it's on the bottom line of your balance sheet!

P.S.--As a simple matter of business, ANY tournament where the same player almost always wins is probably doomed to failure, and that goes double if the winner owns the room.

Last edited:

Gerry

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
IMO if it is an "open" tourney? meaning no handicaps, or not touted as a "no "A" players" kinda thing.....no probs in my mind. If I enter an open event....I expect to play the best players regardless of where they work.

I worked/ran many tourneys at The Cue Corner for Pete Sinkler while he played in the tourney, but :) if you all know Pete....well he was VERY ummm generous with his time and money.....no matter how cranky!......BTW, my wife visited Pete last week and he is doing great....we talked and he is ornery as ever!

BTW...playing in, AND running the counter during the event is a nono for obvious reasons.

G.

dundeewizard

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Having been in the EXACT situation as the room owner I can say this with a fair degree of confidence: There's nothing wrong with it as long as it's fairly run, but if you're a business owner who's not mad at your money it's a bad idea that's going to cost you customers in the end. As a pool hall owner your main hustle is no longer on the table; it's on the bottom line of your balance sheet!

P.S.--As a simple matter of business, ANY tournament where the same player almost always wins is probably doomed to failure, and that goes double if the winner owns the room.

fair play I agree that any tournament with a regualr winner is
doomed unless they restrict him/her. it is an open tourny with a A/B side
but I am seen in one wek the numbers dwindle to under half, I hope
they dont again this week as I have usually cashed. another problem is the handicap tho he is putting his brother and friends at lower handicaps than
they should be. will run itws course tho, we will see tonight

genomachino

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
yes they should but

Should not be included in any break and run pot or drawings from the tickets in the pot.

I was at a tourney not too long ago and the guy running the tourney got his ticket drawn 2 days in a row for the break and run pot and 4 drawings for small prizes.

Not saying he cheated but it sure didn't look very good.

Made me feel kind of stupid that I bought $20 worth of tickets.

Just saying.

Owner or person running the tourney should be excluded from any pots or drawings.

bdorman

Dead money
Silver Member
His house, his rules.

But I suspect he won't be able to pay the bills soon.

Of course, he'll moan about pool being a dying sport. He won't know that he helped kill it.

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't think there is anything unethical about it but as a business man I wouldn't want people to stop coming because I'm winning my own tournament every week lol

dundeewizard

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't think there is anything unethical about it but as a business man I wouldn't want people to stop coming because I'm winning my own tournament every week lol

really? Why would people play then ? i think it helps too when the owner is an A++ player the cloest is local apa 7's