Can this be called a saw machine??

cuesmith

BEEN THERE, DONE THAT!
Silver Member
Pancerny said:
I always liked to idea of a radial shaft (popularized by the Predator aboriginees) but liked the idea of the flat laminated material to get some really nice dense stuff to work with. Wonder if anyone has tried a radially laminated shaft using sheets of the flat laminated maple???

That might be interesting....

Mike

Edwin Reyes

bandido

Player Power!
Silver Member
cuesmith said:
Edwin Reyes
Thanks Sherm. Parceny, The ER240 is made up of 8 radially laminated sections of 30 flat spliced maple veneers. It's been in the market for 4 years now and I do hold a patent for 14-240 splices of this configuration. I wonder what WIPO is going to say about the above linked.

Regarding the saw, it is a slitting saw and is what I use with my shaft machine. It spits out shafts with smoothness that look like they've been gone through with 400grit sand paper. You just need to get the right mix with your shaft rpm, travel and feed. I have a 4-shaft CNC in the works that only has an 18" x 48" footprint and optional attachments to convert it into a 4-axis CNC inlaying machine. Not going to be available to the public as long as Blud is still in the situation he is in.

Cue Crazy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
bandido said:
I wonder what WIPO is going to say about the above linked.

Edwin,

Are you refering to the link I posted? Did'nt realize there was any problem with that, As people do it all the time. I'm not advertising for anyone, was just showing an example to see if that was the the kind mentioned. I have no problem removing It, if anyone disagrees with Me posting It. All they have to do Is ask.

Greg

Pancerny

Mike Pancerny
Silver Member
Do you use yours on a lathe too???
Or some other configuration....
Mike

bandido said:
Regarding the saw, it is a slitting saw and is what I use with my shaft machine. It spits out shafts with smoothness that look like they've been gone through with 400grit sand paper.

RBC

Deceased
Bandido is right, it can work. The problem is that the right combination of feeds and speeds that will give that finish without chatter and without having to "tend" the shaft while turning will most likely be slow. I need to be able to turn more peices. For the OB-1 shaft, my first turning on the .625" squares makes 4 passes at 40 inches per minute, and it takes me a little over 2 1/2 hours to turn 156 peices on Blud's 4 saw CNC machine.

My concern for Mike is that he has to "tend" the shaft while it cuts in the middle. If that is the case Mike, you do not have something right in your setup. From my experience, I was not able to get satisfactory cuts and speed from the slitting saw. With 3 wing slot cutters like these on my router

http://www.mytoolstore.com/everlast/evr22.html

I get smooth cuts, plenty of material removal when I need it, and the ability to go a little faster. And all of this with no "tending". And the bits are only $8.72 each. Plus, these are carbide, not high speed steel, and last much longer.

Royce Bunnell
www.obcues.com

Pancerny

Mike Pancerny
Silver Member
I have some of the 6 flute style that they sell, maybe I should buy some thinner ones....because of the air movement...I have the thick ones.
Mike

RBC said:
Bandido is right, it can work. The problem is that the right combination of feeds and speeds that will give that finish without chatter and without having to "tend" the shaft while turning will most likely be slow. I need to be able to turn more peices. For the OB-1 shaft, my first turning on the .625" squares makes 4 passes at 40 inches per minute, and it takes me a little over 2 1/2 hours to turn 156 peices on Blud's 4 saw CNC machine.

My concern for Mike is that he has to "tend" the shaft while it cuts in the middle. If that is the case Mike, you do not have something right in your setup. From my experience, I was not able to get satisfactory cuts and speed from the slitting saw. With 3 wing slot cutters like these on my router

http://www.mytoolstore.com/everlast/evr22.html

I get smooth cuts, plenty of material removal when I need it, and the ability to go a little faster. And all of this with no "tending". And the bits are only $8.72 each. Plus, these are carbide, not high speed steel, and last much longer.

Royce Bunnell
www.obcues.com

RBC

Deceased
Mike,

I buy the 1/16th inch thick. I also have the 6 flute, and on butts it cuts great, but on shafts I get a little chatter. I have also found that the cutter must be level with the center of the shaft for the smoothest cuts. If it is a little high or low, then I will get chatter.

Royce
www.obcues.com

bandido

Player Power!
Silver Member
Cue Crazy said:
bandido said:
I wonder what WIPO is going to say about the above linked.

Edwin,

Are you refering to the link I posted? Did'nt realize there was any problem with that, As people do it all the time. I'm not advertising for anyone, was just showing an example to see if that was the the kind mentioned. I have no problem removing It, if anyone disagrees with Me posting It. All they have to do Is ask.

Greg
Didn't consider it as advertising or anything offensive at all, Greg. I was just surprised to see something like that. Any other comments from me will be drected to the manufacturer if it bothers me after the initial surprise. I'm sorry that you thought that my comment was directed to you. Peace bro.

bandido

Player Power!
Silver Member
Pancerny said:
Do you use yours on a lathe too???
Or some other configuration....
Mike

bandido said:
Regarding the saw, it is a slitting saw and is what I use with my shaft machine. It spits out shafts with smoothness that look like they've been gone through with 400grit sand paper.

No, I built a shaft machine but the blade is also powered with a router. Both ends of the saw shafting are supported by bearings and air passages towards the rear were designed into the main cutting assembly holder.

Cue Crazy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
bandido said:
Didn't consider it as advertising or anything offensive at all, Greg. I was just surprised to see something like that. Any other comments from me will be drected to the manufacturer if it bothers me after the initial surprise. I'm sorry that you thought that my comment was directed to you. Peace bro.

I read that alittle better after I asked, and thought I was starting to catch on, I'm alittle slow today, so took me alittle longer then usual :p. My appologies, I just misunderstood. I've never even tried them, just remember seeing it, and it catching my interest, because it was something I had actually thought of it the past also, but don't worry never had any plans on trying It myself, especially when I realized it had been done, Just had'nt seen It before until I ran across that one, so i remembered seeing it. I like the Idea of more radials better though.

Peace to you too Bud & Take Care,
Greg

Last edited:

linds

proudly Philippine made!
Silver Member
Cue Crazy said:
I like the Idea of more radials better though.

Peace to you too Bud & Take Care,
Greg
You should see the new ER24 with its 24 grain-aligned radial splices. :)

Murray Tucker

Just a Padawan
Silver Member
Pancerny said:
I have some of the 6 flute style that they sell, maybe I should buy some thinner ones....because of the air movement...I have the thick ones.
Mike

I have tried almost every router bit known to man in my lathe. This one works the best for my set-up. http://www.grizzly.com/products/item.aspx?itemnumber=C1097
I have a SouthBend lathe with a Porter Cable trim router set up in the tool post.
I pretty much only cut butts in the lathe but every now and then I have a weird shaft to make and I end up free handing it in my lathe. It takes about 8 min. to run a finish pass on a butt.

My shaft machine uses a 80 tooth flat top saw blade. It will run a shaft in just a touch over 3 min. with very little sanding required afterwards.

The key is to really work hard on tuning your equipment to make it cut as smooth as possible. Too much sanding just opens the door for screw ups.

Pancerny

Mike Pancerny
Silver Member
Murray, Do you still find it necessary to support the shaft when you cut one on the lathe set-up. (For the shaft you do that have weird tapers??) Or do you just flip a piece of shaft wood on there and let her rip???
(Interesting that you've had better success with the 2 flute style)

You guys are making me want to run out and buy a shaft machine today...
I talked to Blud about like a year ago and he was asking $10,000 for the single shaft set-up that was cnc controlled.
I want to do it right, just don't have a spare 10 Gs....

If anyone knows of a used one available, I'm all ears. Did anyone ever buy anything from that guy in Missouri that was apparently selling his whole shop but abruptly stopped posting when people wanted prices. He had 3 saw machines if I remember correctly, maybe he decided to stay in the biz...

Mike

Murray Tucker said:
I have tried almost every router bit known to man in my lathe. This one works the best for my set-up. http://www.grizzly.com/products/item.aspx?itemnumber=C1097
I have a SouthBend lathe with a Porter Cable trim router set up in the tool post.
I pretty much only cut butts in the lathe but every now and then I have a weird shaft to make and I end up free handing it in my lathe. It takes about 8 min. to run a finish pass on a butt.

My shaft machine uses a 80 tooth flat top saw blade. It will run a shaft in just a touch over 3 min. with very little sanding required afterwards.

The key is to really work hard on tuning your equipment to make it cut as smooth as possible. Too much sanding just opens the door for screw ups.

Murray Tucker

Just a Padawan
Silver Member
Pancerny said:
Murray, Do you still find it necessary to support the shaft when you cut one on the lathe set-up. (For the shaft you do that have weird tapers??) Or do you just flip a piece of shaft wood on there and let her rip???
(Interesting that you've had better success with the 2 flute style)

You guys are making me want to run out and buy a shaft machine today...
I talked to Blud about like a year ago and he was asking $10,000 for the single shaft set-up that was cnc controlled.
I want to do it right, just don't have a spare 10 Gs....

If anyone knows of a used one available, I'm all ears. Did anyone ever buy anything from that guy in Missouri that was apparently selling his whole shop but abruptly stopped posting when people wanted prices. He had 3 saw machines if I remember correctly, maybe he decided to stay in the biz...

Mike

Mike,
Those are four flute cutters that I use. I don't have to support the shaft at all when I cut it. It might chatter a little but like I said I only cut shafts on my lathe once in a great while.

Blud has some new shaft machine options available now that are pretty affordable. You might want to give him a call.

Cue Crazy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
linds said:
You should see the new ER24 with its 24 grain-aligned radial splices. :)

Sounds like a awesome shaft, I would'nt mind having a few partials to try out Myself :D . I have also wondered how that design would feel.