Can you still get Lakewood/Superior wood?

edwu

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was wondering if it's possible to still get Lakewood/superior wood direct from the company that reclaims it? I had heard a rumor that pulling the wood from the lakes became outlawed/the company closed down and cue makers could no longer get it anymore. Is this true? Their website is still active...https://www.timelesstimber.com. Anyone know what history or what's going on with the supply?

Thanks

Last edited:

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
I'm scratching my head trying to understand why salvaging timber would be outlawed. Sorry, don't know whether or not...

edwu

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm scratching my head trying to understand why salvaging timber would be outlawed. Sorry, don't know whether or not...
Bordering Canada and environmental issues is what I've heard. All loose rumors

Johnny Rosato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Shelby Stanga - Louisiana
1654048135125.png

muskyed

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not sure about bordering Canada, when they 1st set up, they were in Ashland Wi., or at least that's the place I went to look over some wood at. Also at that time, I'm sure they were getting their wood from right out in the bay there from the old-time logging operations, and I think the government had something to do with it then. Didn't end up buying any then as the price was just too rich for my blood. I see now that their headquarters is over by the Mississippi river on the Wis. side, and also that they are getting wood from a couple other locations also.

edwu

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's the submerged stuff right? What a strange process. Could be a thing if you could get customers to agree to the 150 year lead time.
Yeah, submerged in Lake superior. Deep cold water, old wood combined with pressure made the wood really dense. Was really popular when I first started playing pool but since has died down. I had the opportunity to hit one and really liked the hit. Can't seem to find any blanks.

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah, submerged in Lake superior. Deep cold water, old wood combined with pressure made the wood really dense. Was really popular when I first started playing pool but since has died down. I had the opportunity to hit one and really liked the hit. Can't seem to find any blanks.
I think Stradivari ae/usses had similarly conditioned wood. Seems like the process could be synthesized. I know they can put most any kind of wood into a pressure cooker and form it into permanent shapes; hard as steel in some instances. Probably could come up with maple variations that could compete parameter for parameter with CF.

muskyed

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not sure about making any wood resemble this wood as one of the things that made this wood so special was that it was old growth wood that just is virtually unobtainable anymore. It isn't so much as how it was conditioned, but how it was grown.

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not sure about making any wood resemble this wood as one of the things that made this wood so special was that it was old growth wood that just is virtually unobtainable anymore. It isn't so much as how it was conditioned, but how it was grown.
Appearance is an something I hadn't considered nor the collectible aspect of vintage artifacts but if that's what floats your boat...

muskyed

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Appearance isn't what I meant to imply also, when I said resemble, I was talking about the grain structure and possible effects of being submerged for so long. Sorry for the confusion in my prior wording. The wood that I looked at back then was all kiln dried, but just had a grain structure you don't see now days.

MmmSharp

Nudge is as good as a wink to a blind bat.
Silver Member
It is not lake wood, but similar concept.

Check out bog wood. It is wood that has been salvaged from bogs and started the fossilization process. The bogs give it different darker colors. I alway though a cue made out bog wood would be a cool project.

Last edited: