Canadians 2013

seether

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I guess this is what everyone should be doing.we need guys like Dan who is willing to step up to make this event more successful.i believe this is what Coop needs right now.he needs someone who will stand with him do whatever it takes to make things more significant to every player.
I hope it happens.

seether

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'd settle for them choosing any matches they want. Most are good and one more than I would see unless I went there. I would, however, like them to stream at the same level of quality as last year. Seems the equipment has been downgraded.

I was watching the mens nineball event and they must be using old fashen equipment, because all you see is blur vision. I seen better streaming then that.

seether

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Now why, exactly, would anyone west of Ontario really want to show support for the CBSA? What efforts have they made to include anyone other than the standard crew of southern Ontario players? There are really good reasons that the turnout for the events are as terrible as they are and the CBSA has done NOTHING to correct any of them for more than a decade. The CBSA as it runs right now will never receive my support and I couldn't care less about the sub-par events they run every year.

It's probably better that the women were streaming anyway because the quality of the stream(of a national championship, none the less) was beyond horrific. Why even bother trying to put up a stream when it's just going do be done half-assed and border on unwatchable?

Pool survives in Canada in spite of the CBSA, most definitely NOT because of them...

Hi Spin doctor and u are right what u sead. There streaming happens to be nothing but blur vision.

thewhiffer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was watching the mens nineball event and they must be using old fashen equipment, because all you see is blur vision. I seen better streaming then that.

They are using the same equipment as last year. However, this year there is a second set of equipment set up to stream the snooker. I think the quality is affected by the band width they have at their disposal being shared. Went by yesterday to watch some real good snooker and some fair to middlin 9 ball.

ThePoolScene

Registered
The CBSA is only as strong as the Provincial Associations.
.....and none of those are doing very good right now.
Coop can only work with what he's got.

And Shooters has had the Canadiann by default lately.
It started when the West made a late cancellation a few years ago.

The Championships has been held coast to coast in the past.

Who wants to step up and do better?

You hit the nail on the head. Who is going to step up?

We need suggestions rather than criticism. So many are too quick to judge. Not an easy task I'm sure.

Thank you Coop for your continued dedication.

Genie8

Registered
They are using the same equipment as last year. However, this year there is a second set of equipment set up to stream the snooker. I think the quality is affected by the band width they have at their disposal being shared. Went by yesterday to watch some real good snooker and some fair to middlin 9 ball.

Actually, Randall who was looking after the Snooker streaming after it finished took his equipment and his feed to live stream the pool. He got started right from the first game between John Morra & Jason Klatt. The stream was at least twice as good as the regular pool stream. He also had the current scores at the bottom of the screen. It was so much better and for the first time this year a pleasure to watch. He mentioned the equipment being used for the pool stream was actually better quality than his but was not set up properly. Nobody there with the exception of Randall has any technical knowledge on how to set up the live streaming equipment and settings on the laptop. The bandwidth in this instance has nothing to do with the poor quality of the pool stream. Randall used the same connection to the internet but had it set up properly and produced a quality stream. Kudos to you Randall, you saved the night for Shooters and the CBSA and hopefully you can assist them setting the pool stream up properly before you leave so we can watch the remainder of the Canadian Championships with a watchable stream.:smile:

Last edited:

Jason Robichaud

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This year was a disappointment, I think both in player turnout and streaming, compared to last year.

My first year at the Canadians the field was full at 128 players. Now we are down to 31 players! It would be great to have our national event travel the country for a couple reasons: 1. I would love to visit new cities. 2. People that won't travel would get a chance to play. We have a major issue though -- No other location is willing or capable to hold this event! I know Edmonton was the last location awarded the Nationals but pulled out last minute. Shooters offered to take its place and held the event since. This takes a great deal of time to plan, host and stream. I know Coop is willing to go anywhere for the CBSA events

So, someone go find a venue. Go spend your money, your time and ask a room to close for 2 weeks to host the Championships. Its just that easy.

labatt ice rod

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'd settle for them choosing any matches they want. Most are good and one more than I would see unless I went there. I would, however, like them to stream at the same level of quality as last year. Seems the equipment has been downgraded.

I was the one who did the stream last year. Its the same equipment they just dont know how to use it,since I was black balled by the CPA(and was not allowed to shooters),so thats why the stream sucked

labatt ice rod

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Actually, Randall who was looking after the Snooker streaming after it finished took his equipment and his feed to live stream the pool. He got started right from the first game between John Morra & Jason Klatt. The stream was at least twice as good as the regular pool stream. He also had the current scores at the bottom of the screen. It was so much better and for the first time this year a pleasure to watch. He mentioned the equipment being used for the pool stream was actually better quality than his but was not set up properly. Nobody there with the exception of Randall has any technical knowledge on how to set up the live streaming equipment and settings on the laptop. The bandwidth in this instance has nothing to do with the poor quality of the pool stream. Randall used the same connection to the internet but had it set up properly and produced a quality stream. Kudos to you Randall, you saved the night for Shooters and the CBSA and hopefully you can assist them setting the pool stream up properly before you leave so we can watch the remainder of the Canadian Championships with a watchable stream.:smile:

They need to bring me back for next year!!!!

labatt ice rod

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dan - I will take you up on your offer. I will contact you in Sept. as soon as we get 2014 ironed out.

Provincial quailifiers in ON all year would be huge. An improved pool stream would be large as well.

Some Provinces such as NB NS AB are doing better than some will give credit to.

For the ones that like to call the event the Ontario Championships, I have no respect for. Around half the 9-Ball field are not from ON. 6 from NB 3 from NS 4 from AB, 2 from QC. When the Championships were in Eastern Canada for a ten year period during the 90ties, they could have been called the Eastern Canadian Championships, because half the field were QC & East, but they were not.

Yes the Championships have been in same venue since 2008 because our options have been very limited.

pt109 - You have been around. You know the ins & outs. Thank you for your support.

Enough for now....gotta run.

Coop bring me back next year for the stream and it will be just like how i did it last year (16hr days,bonus matches and a great stream!!!!) By the way. Great job Coop

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
If you get the idea that there's discontent out here in the west then your Fbombing right.

I don't want to get into an East/West dispute...I love the West.
I've been treated well every time I've visited....
...and I have a suspicion that you've done something for the game.

I hope this makes you feel better, sir....Jim Whitaker from Lethbridge is
leading 3/2 in the finals of the Senior snooker.
He's 76 years old and still tough as an alley cat.

C'mon Jimmy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

D_Lewis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Coop bring me back next year for the stream and it will be just like how i did it last year (16hr days,bonus matches and a great stream!!!!) By the way. Great job Coop

How easy is it to set up a PPV for ustream? I know TONS of viewers who loved Rod in the booth vs other commentators. I'd gladly make a donation to have him work the stream for Canadians.

input greatly appreciated.

labatt ice rod

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How easy is it to set up a PPV for ustream? I know TONS of viewers who loved Rod in the booth vs other commentators. I'd gladly make a donation to have him work the stream for Canadians.

input greatly appreciated.

Thanks Dan, Its not that hard to do but i would not do a PPV,it has to be free. It upset me that i could not be there this year becouse of some b.s with a league op. Just look at my FB and see how many people wish I just walked in and took over the stream,but that I could not do, I respect John White to much. Last year I was holding on to over 500 viewers a day for 16 days and got as high as 1200 once I put the stream on AZ(Had us on the front page for 2 weeks) Plus all the pros from around the world who joined in the chat room. (check out my youtube channel for last years action). If you need me there Danno im in!!!!

D_Lewis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I disagree with the no PPV.

I think you do a good job and you need to be able to make some cash for the effort. Maybe $20 for the whole event or $5 a day? If Cooper is letting me help in this area, I want quality and you're awesome in the booth. I'll help as much as I can.

thewhiffer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
IMO, you would get at least double, probably triple the entries if it was held in Alberta. The #1 venue in AB is The Corner Pocket located in Red Deer. They have 3 Riley's, 10 Diamond 9fts and 10 Diamond 7fts. Great owners and an awesome hall.

Please consider moving it west for 2014 or 2015, we're starving out here!

Has Riley's and/or, in conjunction with, Alberta Snooker and Billiards Association put in a proposal to the CBSA to host this event? That would seem like the most realistic first step in seeing this happen.

thewhiffer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I stand corrected, thanks.

thewhiffer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
SpinDoctor, PT109, supergreen man and any other interested participants,

I am still trying to understand the CBSA and the related provincial organizations and their roles. I would like to make a few comments as food for thought and also invite further input from you that could help to clarify some things.

We seem to share agreement on some points.

Minor points:
We would like to see a better selection of matches shown on the stream. (I recognize that my feeling is based on personal preference so I, personally, would cut some slack.)

We would like to see a better quality of stream. This is a necessity, no one can enjoy a terrible stream/commentating and saying that it is free is not a reasonable excuse for it.

Major points:
The Canadian Championships have declined in participation from all areas across the country in the past few years.

Pool survives in Canada in spite of the CBSA (see comment below)

I would also add that I would like to see a type of venue that is more spectator friendly.

Food for thought/comment.

To add to PT109’s comments, I believe that a late cancellation by the organizing group/venue in Edmonton was why the CBSA had to scramble with the result being that it was held in Shooters in Toronto to avoid it being not run at all that year. The people organizing this at Shooters felt that they had to scramble that year just to get it done. They asked to have the tournament in the following year to show that they could do it better give time to organize. I attended that year and would say that they did a great job.

Imo, no hall, no matter how good a place to play, is suitable from a spectator point of view. Unfortunately, since then, no provincial organization and/or venue stepped up and presented a proposal to hold them. Shooters, it seems, became the default setting.

That said, I would ask the following;

Is it the CBSA or the provincial association that should be organizing events that promote inclusion of the players from their province? As I understand it (and if I’m wrong then I stand to be corrected) it is the provincial bodies that elect the national executive to the CBSA board.

I would like to know from SpinDoctor (or others with knowledge), specifically, what the “really good reasons that the turnout for the events are as terrible as they are” this sharing of knowledge would give everyone a chance to better know if the CBSA has done NOTHING to correct any of them.

I agree with the statement that Pool survives in Canada in spite of the CBSA as its current mandate seems to be a vehicle for world class players or those with world class ambition to be able to represent Canada at major international events and does not impact on the average league or recreational player.

Are any of the participants, in this string, members of CBSA or a provincial counterpart? By way of full disclosure I would say that I am not, but I do plan to become more informed and to get involved if necessary.

I hope that I can become better informed and I thank you for any input you care to share.

DaveK

Still crazy after all these years
Silver Member
I would like to know from SpinDoctor (or others with knowledge), specifically, what the “really good reasons that the turnout for the events are as terrible as they are” this sharing of knowledge would give everyone a chance to better know if the CBSA has done NOTHING to correct any of them.

I agree with the statement that Pool survives in Canada in spite of the CBSA as its current mandate seems to be a vehicle for world class players or those with world class ambition to be able to represent Canada at major international events and does not impact on the average league or recreational player.

Are any of the participants, in this string, members of CBSA or a provincial counterpart? By way of full disclosure I would say that I am not, but I do plan to become more informed and to get involved if necessary.

I hope that I can become better informed and I thank you for any input you care to share.

I am a member of the Saskatchewan Cue Sports Association.

I know that many did not bother with the Saskatchewan provincials due to conflicts with other tournaments, specifically VNEA in LV. As a result the entries were low, therefore no money to send anyone.

Even if they did have the money, it seems like nobody around here wants to play pool in the summer. It's a winter activity for most here. The winner of this years 8 and 9 ball has plenty of money to send himself, but owning a very successful landscaping company keeps him from spending a week away in June .... and the guy who won the snooker championship is his right-hand man. Having said that both were there last year.

I suspect that a couple of fellows could provide good feedback, Bob Morton and Al Tirk. But I am not sure either has much interest anymore ... my opinion.

Dave