Can't find a fargo rate on some of the more famous pool instructors

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
With all due respect that's pure speculation. Filler, Chang and SVB make enough money playing the don't have to teach. Nobody knows how good they would be as a teacher but I suspect a decent player could learn a lot.

No, it isn't speculation.

One's playing Fargo is a measure of playing performance, not a measure of what kind of player one could possibly become. A hypothetical Fargo for teaching would be a measure of teaching performance, not a measure of what kind of teacher one could possibly become.

So, yes, Filler, Chang and SVB would have low teaching Fargos relative to the stars of the pool instruction profession, because Fargo is, and always has been, based on performance, not on potential.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pool is a performance based endeavor.

And I've always thought of FargoRate, or for older players, past tournament performance, as the equivalent of the credentials you'd put on a resume. So to me, it's like having your advanced degrees -- masters/phd.

That is not to say that everyone who is or has been a champion will make a good instructor -- teaching a sport takes special observational and communication skills that not everyone has. And while accreditation by your fellow instructors and advancement through your association's ranks is nice, my personal preference, when it comes to a pool instructor, is for someone that has performed at a high level in the past or present and who, based upon their book(s), DVD(s), or recommendations of others, can communicate well.

Lou Figueroa
that's just me

ShortBusRuss

Short Bus Russ - C Player
Silver Member
There is a ranking system for Instructors.
It's called the PBIA.
Master
Advanced
Certified
Recognized

Anything else you need?

randyg

Sorry to exhume a zombie thread, but for the record, this is more a "ranking" for pushing a specific teaching system, rather than a declaration of how good those instructors are. Many many similar examples exist within IT, where training centers train folks on various IT communication/security devices. The fact that they are TEACHING CCNA level 1 has nothing to do with the specific training center's quality. It is only an observation that CCNA level 1 is in-demand, and the training center wants money. There is no actual informatikn there about how GOOD the training center is, even if they teach the highest level Cisco courses (CCIE level).

The only possible measurements of the training center's quality are 1. Percentage of learners passing the certification exam, and 2. The amount of the learners bejng employed in that position one to two years later.

The comparison to pool would be to measure the Fargorates of personnel these trainers have trained, one to two years later. If one is a good instructor, they will both draw the most talented players, and be able to actually make big improvements to the games of those players, which will manifest itself in the Fargorates of their students.

Otherwise, I am sorry, but the PBIA system seems like a whole lotta incestuous backpatting, to me.