capped or collared joint

miko

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
can anyone tell me the difference between a capped and collared ivory joint in terms of the hit and the sturdiness of the joint? In your opinion, which plays better and why? many thanks!

qguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Having used both types on different cues...I would say it would be very hard to compare both types of joints ...different shafts, different weights...etc...their just too many factors that are not the same on both cues...even if you use the same shaft, the butt would play an integral part....

as to which plays better .. well if there was a noticable difference then YOU would be best person to answer this questions

Some cue makers use a thin ivory collar, (or whatever material. stainless steel, phenolics..etc..) this makes their cue have a similar hit

Last edited:

BryanMordt

Cuemaker
Silver Member
I would recommend the capped style. The main reason I use the capped style is for greater strength & stability. The same logic is applied to melamine ferrules, the capped ferrules are virtually problem free but the non-capped ferrules will crack.

BCM

bruin70

don't wannabe M0DERATOR
Silver Member
a collared ivory joint is like any collared joint, be it metal or phenolic,,,,that is, it's basically a cylinder that is placed over the wood at the joint, with the wood exposed. as in,,,take a look at your shaft. you have a collar made of some material and the shaftwood is exposed.

if "capped" joint means anything like a capped ferrule, the wood is not exposed. the material (ivory, in this case) covers the wood. it fits like a cap,,,,,like joint protector-style. if it doesn't mean that, the only thing i can think of is that it means a "full" ivory joint. in others words the joint is one solid piece of ivory, and there is no wood core.

whatever feels good to you is what's best.

L

locki

my cue has a capped ivory ferrule. well, i have it changed to ivory.
if im right, a capped ferrule has a hole in its middle so it would fit in the shaft.
while a collared ivory ferrule is a full ivory which is somewhat glued to the shaft with no wooden core compared to the capped one.

bruin70

don't wannabe M0DERATOR
Silver Member
locki said:

,,,,,,glued to the shaft with no wooden core compared to the capped one.

all ferrules have a wood core. it's called a "tenon", and the ferrules are screwed onto the tenon. most are capped, but some are "tenom through" which means no cap and the tenon is exposed.

nbc

Cuefather
Silver Member
locki said:
my cue has a capped ivory ferrule. well, i have it changed to ivory.
if im right, a capped ferrule has a hole in its middle so it would fit in the shaft.
while a collared ivory ferrule is a full ivory which is somewhat glued to the shaft with no wooden core compared to the capped one.

No, you're not right. :D

It's the other way around, locki. he he he

nbc

qguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
but its sure looks purdy.....

Everything has its own advantages and disadvantages

Ivory ferrules....looks very good, takes a high shine, does not scatch easily... but deflects more than the composites ferrules

Predator ferrules are just to darn soft and scratches too easily

fast larry said:
Hi this is fast, the worst ferrule you can get is the most expensive one you can buy, Ivory, too damn hard, hard ferrules deflect the worst. What is selling and working are very soft thin walled ferrules, IE, PREDITOR, MEUCCI.
Fast Larry

L

locki

hmm...there are ferrules available here, they are made from the pool balls themselves. i dont know how it will perform, basing on what ive read here, it seems my ivory ferrule is not good...anyone here using pool balls as their ferrules?
and nbc...i stand corrected...:D

Last edited:

nbc

Cuefather
Silver Member
locki...no problem. ha ha ha

Some of my cues have "bola" or "cue ball" ferrules. I'd rate them as ok.

I want to get my hands on some "Ivor-x" ferrules that Joseph Cues says is really good.

Paging Joseph Cues... can I buy a couple from you? :)

nbc

nbc

Cuefather
Silver Member
New type of ferrule developed by a friend of Joseph Cues.... Joseph might have even had a hand in helping develop it... I dont know.

I believe it was recently unveiled in the last BCA trade show. The ferrule is supposed to be really good. :)

nbc

L

locki

so how much would it cost? and is it available in local shops? i got the stuffs i put on my cue from sta. cruz,manila u know...:D

they are selling pampanga cues there for a little over 1000 pesos u know, just in case u wanted to know...:D

LRockwell

Registered
I bought a Philippine made cue from Viattorre Cues about a month ago that had these Ivor-X ferrules on the shafts. The maker suggested I try this new ferrule because they're somewhat popular so I did. I like them very much as a matter of fact and will stick with them. Maybe you can ask these guys about them since you all are in the same country.

Last edited:

miko

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi LRockwell, can you compare the ivor-x ferrules to ivory ferrules? ivor-x is claiming that they hit and play like ivory.
By the way, can u post a pic of your Viatttorre? as I am thinking of getting one.

LRockwell

Registered
Hi miko

Sorry but I have never used a real ivory ferrule so I can't compare Ivor-X to ivory.
I will try to get pictures of my cue to post. I can say that I am very satisfied with my Viattorre cue. I got exactly what I wanted without any worries. I don't think you can go wrong choosing them. Highly recommended.

Last edited:

nbc

Cuefather
Silver Member
Did you order your cue from Viattorre? Or did you win one of his eBay auctions?

nbc

bruin70

don't wannabe M0DERATOR
Silver Member
miko said:
ivor-x is claiming that they hit and play like ivory.

i never hit with ivorx but,,,,man made claiming to be like mother nature?,,,,,i doubt it. ivorene claimed to be be an ivory replacement too. wasn't even close.

some people like elk horn, which is at least natural, is not protected, has a certain kind of crispness, and is not so susceptable to temperature changes as is ivory. didn't feel as hard as ivory, so maybe it has less deflection, but i'm not sure.

Joseph Cues

Cue Nut
Silver Member
Ivor-x ferrules do play like Ivory but just slightly softer so it gives a little and stays on the cueball longer for more action. I know this because I'm the guy that invented it. I've been putting them on for just about a year now and virtually everbody that I put them on for has said pretty much said the same thing. Most of what I hear is "it's the nuts" from all differant caliber of players.

Joseph Cues

Cue Nut
Silver Member
The previous message was posted under Joseph Cues and it should have gone under zylrcue. My name is Kerry Zeiler and I'm the inventor of the "Ivor-x"ferrule. Joey is a good friend of mine and his break cue was the first cue that I put Ivor-x on. I told him to go out and try to break it. Let other people that he knows break very hard try to break it and to date, nobody has broken one on a cue yet. The only one I've seen get broken was when another cuemaker that I won't mention, took a pair of pliers to one that wasn't even on a shaft and busted it. Of course my first question was how many shots do you shoot by smashing the ferrule sideways with a pair of pliers. If anyone has questions about "Ivor-x" or the tests that were done before we introduced it at the BCA last July, please email me at zylrcue@juno.com.
Kerry Zeiler / "ZYLR" Handcrafted Cues