capped vs. uncapped ferrules

Ssonerai

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hu's posts on any subject tend to cause a person to think. (good)
But maybe the direction this recent discourse sends my mind is a little risky. :)
Has anyone actually tried a rubber ferule? something stiffer than 90 Duro A, of course. I do mean experimental, just to see what happens.
Seems like designed right it would spin like crazy. (longer contact period) Maybe a rubber plug embedded in that aluminum thin-wall ferule?

6061 T6 is about the most common aluminum alloy out there. Cheap, strong, easy machining, relatively (that is "relatively") corrosion resistant though not as good as the lower alloys like the 5xxx series. 7075 - hmmmm, probably not a factor but intergranular corrosion just form sitting around in humid air unprotected is an ugly thing. My impression is that It is used less in GA aircraft structure than at first simply because of the protection requirments and potential maintenance issues. Sort of like (true) magnesium wheels. Ideal on a performance/competition basis at one time, costly and risky to maintain in "real life".

smt

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
the dark side!

Hu's posts on any subject tend to cause a person to think. (good)
But maybe the direction this recent discourse sends my mind is a little risky. :)
Has anyone actually tried a rubber ferule? something stiffer than 90 Duro A, of course. I do mean experimental, just to see what happens.
Seems like designed right it would spin like crazy. (longer contact period) Maybe a rubber plug embedded in that aluminum thin-wall ferule?

6061 T6 is about the most common aluminum alloy out there. Cheap, strong, easy machining, relatively (that is "relatively") corrosion resistant though not as good as the lower alloys like the 5xxx series. 7075 - hmmmm, probably not a factor but intergranular corrosion just form sitting around in humid air unprotected is an ugly thing. My impression is that It is used less in GA aircraft structure than at first simply because of the protection requirments and potential maintenance issues. Sort of like (true) magnesium wheels. Ideal on a performance/competition basis at one time, costly and risky to maintain in "real life".

smt

It is easy to wander down some side paths when you have a shop. Having designed and built circle track cars and worked in R&D before having a cue shop it was easy to "waste" hours or a day or two that could have been used for better cash flow playing with ideas.

I wanted to build a robot and never got around to it. Hard to prove or disprove much of anything without a very consistent test platform. I have never seen it proven if hard tips or soft are better, if one way of applying spin is better than another. I don't buy some of the conventional wisdom but without test equipment one person's thoughts are about as good as another's.

What limits the spin we can put on the cue ball? Is it the contact between tip and cue ball or cue ball and cloth at the contact patch on the table? If it is the contact patch once we reach the point it breaks loose no efforts to improve tips or ferrules matter. If it is the contact between tip and cue ball that is the critical factor then we have gains still to be made.

Very easy to be sucked down rabbit holes when we don't have empirical proof in front of us. One of my areas of responsibility years ago was the test lab. That was genuinely lots of fun!

Hu

PS: After reading about it for years I saw a set of genuine magnesium wheels burn. Easy to see why they were outlawed by many associations.