Carbon Fiber Jump Cue and Masse Cue

Lord_Teets

This is my first post on AZB, so I'm hoping I've posted this is in the right spot. I've been doing a lot of research into jumping and masseing to take my game to the next level as these shots come up quite often in game, so I've been looking into Carbon Fiber Jump Cues and Masse Cues to add to my arsenal. Currently I own a 12.4mm Revo + Predator Sport 2 Ice playing cue, Predator BK Rush break cue, and a Marty Carey jump cue (still learning to dart jump with this thing, it's not as easy as it looks lol). For Carbon Fiber Jump Cues, I am between the Predator Air 2 (which has a CF core in the shaft), GO JMP, Cynergy Propel, and Mezz Air Drive 2. For Masse Cues, I haven't been able to find anything on carbon fiber masse cues other than the Action one but I did see Florian's Mezz masse cue and it's outrageous price ($1500). I'm a beginner player, but I pick up quick; been taking lessons and joined a TAP league (mostly play 8 ball, but will eventually join 9 ball leagues once I master some more cue ball control). I haven't been able to test any of these, but I figured I'd ask for thoughts on these and any other recommendations before committing to anything. Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

briankenobi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Welcome. As far as Masse cues go, there are a few options. Action has one that is under $200. Jacoby sells a masse cue with is their heavy hitter break butt with a masse shaft. You might be able to find an Eric Yow Masse cue online. Most of us started out with an Eric Yow since it was one of the only masse cues out there. Some still use an Eric Yow. My masse cue is custom from Too Tall Custom Cues (Abram Diaz.) Mine has a purple heart shaft with it. A lot of us use the purple heart shaft for masses. If you are interested in the custom masse cue, hit me up and I can put you in contact with Abram.

Lord_Teets

Welcome. As far as Masse cues go, there are a few options. Action has one that is under $200. Jacoby sells a masse cue with is their heavy hitter break butt with a masse shaft. You might be able to find an Eric Yow Masse cue online. Most of us started out with an Eric Yow since it was one of the only masse cues out there. Some still use an Eric Yow. My masse cue is custom from Too Tall Custom Cues (Abram Diaz.) Mine has a purple heart shaft with it. A lot of us use the purple heart shaft for masses. If you are interested in the custom masse cue, hit me up and I can put you in contact with Abram.
Thanks for the info. Are any of these masse cues carbon fiber?

Angeleyes1978

Registered
Keep in mind that usually anything Carbon Fiber is gonna have a bigger price tag on it because it's the craze right now. As far as I know, the Mezz Masse cue is the only carbon fiber Masse cue, but I could be wrong. The Mezz cue is Carbon Fiber and Kevlar mix and expensive. I got a New/User on Ebay, but unless you are doing trick shots all the time, it's really not worth it, especially if you are a beginner. These type of gimmick shots don't come up much if you have good cue ball control and you can usually accomplish what you need to in game, with a Semi Masse shot with your regular playing cue. I would stay away from a Masse cue for now and just learn about fundamentals of the game. Masse is very advanced technique. Jump cue is probably not a bad idea at some point, but don't try to run before you can walk. Good fundamentals are what takes your game to the next level, so I would maybe invest in taking some lessons with a certified trainer, instead of investing in gimmick cues. Hope this helps because I learned this the hard way about 7-8 years ago. Good Luck

DelawareDogs

The Double Deuce…
Silver Member
I heard the predator and Mezz air drive 2 jump fairly exceptional jump cues.

If you're willing to put down the carbon fiber and pick up something traditional, I've heard that alex brick, Keith Josey, and Hanshew jump cues are very decent.

Lord_Teets

I heard the predator and Mezz air drive 2 jump fairly exceptional jump cues.

If you're willing to put down the carbon fiber and pick up something traditional, I've heard that alex brick, Keith Josey, and Hanshew jump cues are very decent.
I’m not really into wood shafts tbh. And since all my cues are currently carbon fiber, I’d like to stick to the carbon fiber bit.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
First time I heard of getting a masse cue for those shots instead of using the playing cue in games vs trick shots. Do tournaments and leagues still have restrictions to how many cues/shafts you can use in a match?

Beginner player with a $700 break cue, yikes.

briankenobi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
First time I heard of getting a masse cue for those shots instead of using the playing cue in games vs trick shots. Do tournaments and leagues still have restrictions to how many cues/shafts you can use in a match?

I have used my masse cue in a league match and a tournament match before but only rarely. As has been stated before, unless you are looking to do trick shot videos or compete in the artistic pool tournaments, you really don't need a masse cue. Now if you want one just to have one, by all means.

Lord_Teets

Oh I love the BK rush. I tested out a bunch of different break cues and found this to work best for me so I committed to the purchase. No regrets.

Lord_Teets

I have used my masse cue in a league match and a tournament match before but only rarely. As has been stated before, unless you are looking to do trick shot videos or compete in the artistic pool tournaments, you really don't need a masse cue. Now if you want one just to have one, by all means.
Yeah it’s just something I was looking into tbh. I just didn’t want to damage the tip on my revo and would rather have a dedicated cue for predicaments where I could masse.

But I’m more interested in CF jump cues.

MitchAlsup

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I do not see an advantage to CF in a Massé cue, the wooden shaft is thick taper rather straight and weight helps these kinds of shots.

Conversely, the lower the shaft weight the better in a jump cue.

Scrunge19

Registered
Predator has a cf jump cue in the works but it’s currently just a prototype being tested by some of their players. I’m not sure what the release date will be but if you’re not in a hurry, that may be one to consider.

Personally, I’m a Mezz guy but the airdrive II is a bit of a letdown. I haven’t used one, but I wish Mezz would redesign it and release a dedicated 3 piece jump cue. I know they make an extension for it, but that seems like a compromise as opposed to a complete, purpose built product.

Other options you can consider are the cuetec propel as well as the GO Customs jump cue. Both of those are 3-piece full carbon fiber jump cues. I don’t have any experience with the go customs jump cue but the propel jumps nicely.

Lord_Teets

Predator has a cf jump cue in the works but it’s currently just a prototype being tested by some of their players. I’m not sure what the release date will be but if you’re not in a hurry, that may be one to consider.

Personally, I’m a Mezz guy but the airdrive II is a bit of a letdown. I haven’t used one, but I wish Mezz would redesign it and release a dedicated 3 piece jump cue. I know they make an extension for it, but that seems like a compromise as opposed to a complete, purpose built product.

Other options you can consider are the cuetec propel as well as the GO Customs jump cue. Both of those are 3-piece full carbon fiber jump cues. I don’t have any experience with the go customs jump cue but the propel jumps nicely.
Ooooo I didn’t know anything about a new Predator CF jump cue. I just found out from my Predator dealer that it’s not even close to being finished. I think I’m definitely going to wait for that.

But in the meantime, I’ve read on here that the GO JMP outperforms the Cynergy Propel. I think I’d want to pick one of these up to have for the time being.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is my first post on AZB, so I'm hoping I've posted this is in the right spot. I've been doing a lot of research into jumping and masseing to take my game to the next level as these shots come up quite often in game, so I've been looking into Carbon Fiber Jump Cues and Masse Cues to add to my arsenal. Currently I own a 12.4mm Revo + Predator Sport 2 Ice playing cue, Predator BK Rush break cue, and a Marty Carey jump cue (still learning to dart jump with this thing, it's not as easy as it looks lol). For Carbon Fiber Jump Cues, I am between the Predator Air 2 (which has a CF core in the shaft), GO JMP, Cynergy Propel, and Mezz Air Drive 2. For Masse Cues, I haven't been able to find anything on carbon fiber masse cues other than the Action one but I did see Florian's Mezz masse cue and it's outrageous price ($1500). I'm a beginner player, but I pick up quick; been taking lessons and joined a TAP league (mostly play 8 ball, but will eventually join 9 ball leagues once I master some more cue ball control). I haven't been able to test any of these, but I figured I'd ask for thoughts on these and any other recommendations before committing to anything. Thanks in advance!
I'd like to know who you're taking lessons from? Jumps and masse's are only a tiny part of shooting pool, and learning how to kick accurately is far more important. You can't buy a stroke...you have to develop it through disciplined practice.

Scott Lee
2019 PBIA Instructor of the Year
Director, SPF National Pool School Tour

Lord_Teets

I'd like to know who you're taking lessons from? Jumps and masse's are only a tiny part of shooting pool, and learning how to kick accurately is far more important. You can't buy a stroke...you have to develop it through disciplined practice.

Scott Lee
2019 PBIA Instructor of the Year
Director, SPF National Pool School Tour
Oh yes I know. I’m practicing nearly everyday and tuning my stroke. I just find myself needing to jump or masse due to safeties where I don’t have a great angle to kick accurately. I’m still learning a lot man. I like to have the tools in case those situations do come up.

MitchAlsup

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Oh yes I know. I’m practicing nearly everyday and tuning my stroke. I just find myself needing to jump or masse due to safeties where I don’t have a great angle to kick accurately. I’m still learning a lot man. I like to have the tools in case those situations do come up.

There are lots of "gentle" curves on can impart on a CB without needing to be a real massé (or a massé stick). On my table, I can move the CB 1/2 a balls width with low {right or left)} and a deliberate stroke (not too hard). With a bit of cue angulation I can move the CB 1.5 balls widths (less precisely):: all with my standard playing cue (with a hard tip no less).

Getting out of good safeties requires knowing banks, and what side spin on the CB does to the trajectory and energy on the ball.

If I play for 3 hours against a player of my capabilities, I would need a jump stick 4-5 times and a massé stick maybe once. The rest can all be accomplished by knowing the rails and knowing about side spin. I suggest learning to put HIM in trouble with a good safety is more important in your game right now than learning how to massé. {But, still, even jumping would be down on my priority list until you can play the ghost with 6 balls and win 1/2 the time.}