carbon fiber shaft ferule replacement

cammel8

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ok so a guy is bringing me a carbon fiber shaft that he shattered the ferule on. He wants a ferule tip combo put on. (its his break stick) Now I'm guessing the shaft is either one of two kinds of construction:

1.) Carbon fiber laid over wood like Cuetec does (i know they use fiber glass, I mean the way they do it, not what they use)

or

2.) hollow like a lot of the aluminum ones where.

I have never taken the ferule off of one, so to be honest, I have no idea how they are constructed. So my question is, how is it constructed and will this be a hard job or kind of straight forward?

He asked me how much and I was honest with him and told him I have never seen one without a ferule and no idea how big of a job it really is. I told him i would check on it and get back to him.

Normally when I do a tip ferule replacement on a break cue, I use one of my own design, which is made out of g10, and has a tenon that is about two inches long. The shaft is drilled about two inches into the end and then threaded and the tenon is threaded into the hole and epoxied in place. then the ferule is matched to the shaft and shaped. For this, I usually Charge between 35 and 40. (friends or people that bring me a bunch of work I charge thirty five. Joe Schmo off the street pays forty) I'm guessing that if it is hollow I may have to make a larger tenon on the ferule, which means cutting a new blank which will add time to the job, but if it is wood core I can just use a normal one and do it like normal.

So I guess my real question is a two part. How is it constructed, and will 35 be enough or will I need to charge more?

conetip

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You will be able to make that call when you see the shaft, based on how it was originally made.
As for price, that is your decision only. It is a rule of the forum of not posting prices for work anyway.

mortuarymike-nv

mortuarymike-nv
Silver Member
Shattered ferrule

Ok so a guy is bringing me a carbon fiber shaft that he shattered the ferule on. He wants a ferule tip combo put on. (its his break stick) Now I'm guessing the shaft is either one of two kinds of construction:

1.) Carbon fiber laid over wood like Cuetec does (i know they use fiber glass, I mean the way they do it, not what they use)

or

2.) hollow like a lot of the aluminum ones where.

I have never taken the ferule off of one, so to be honest, I have no idea how they are constructed. So my question is, how is it constructed and will this be a hard job or kind of straight forward?

He asked me how much and I was honest with him and told him I have never seen one without a ferule and no idea how big of a job it really is. I told him i would check on it and get back to him.

Normally when I do a tip ferule replacement on a break cue, I use one of my own design, which is made out of g10, and has a tenon that is about two inches long. The shaft is drilled about two inches into the end and then threaded and the tenon is threaded into the hole and epoxied in place. then the ferule is matched to the shaft and shaped. For this, I usually Charge between 35 and 40. (friends or people that bring me a bunch of work I charge thirty five. Joe Schmo off the street pays forty) I'm guessing that if it is hollow I may have to make a larger tenon on the ferule, which means cutting a new blank which will add time to the job, but if it is wood core I can just use a normal one and do it like normal.

So I guess my real question is a two part. How is it constructed, and will 35 be enough or will I need to charge more?

If the ferrule is shattered isn't that enough to see what kind of repair you will have to do ?

cammel8

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If the ferrule is shattered isn't that enough to see what kind of repair you will have to do ?

I haven't seen it yet, I was hoping maybe someone else has and may know a little more than I and may be able to shed some light on it so I wasn't walking into it blind.

GBCues

Damn, still .002 TIR!
Gold Member
Silver Member
I haven't seen it yet, I was hoping maybe someone else has and may know a little more than I and may be able to shed some light on it so I wasn't walking into it blind.

What's the fun in that?
:thumbup:
Gary

GBCues

Damn, still .002 TIR!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Yeah, god forbid I go to a forum designed to help people for help.

Ooops, I think you misunderstood me. So many times we receive a repair and don't quite know what we're getting into until we open it up. For me, it's part of the fun, maybe not for others.
I meant nothing derogatory.
I've replaced ferrules on carbon shafts before, but they were always wood underneath, so nothing much different than a wood shaft.
Good luck,
Gary

conetip

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

The problem is, without seeing it, there are so many variables as to how it is constructed. Hence my original post.
I could tell you all about my carbon shaft and ways of attaching ferrules, but most likely is not the same way the one you maybe repairing is like.
So going through hypothetical's is just speculation at it's worst.
Once you get the cue in person, the fix should be obvious to you.
If not, then post pictures and help will only be a few key taps away I am sure.
Neil

Renegade_56

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The problem is, without seeing it, there are so many variables as to how it is constructed. Hence my original post.
I could tell you all about my carbon shaft and ways of attaching ferrules, but most likely is not the same way the one you maybe repairing is like.
So going through hypothetical's is just speculation at it's worst.
Once you get the cue in person, the fix should be obvious to you.
If not, then post pictures and help will only be a few key taps away I am sure.
Neil

but by all means at least "SAY" you searched for an answer first,,,,

KJ Cues

Pro Cue Builder & Repair
Silver Member
I have deleted this post because it was just too real.
Some things you just have to find out on your own.

Good Luck, KJ

Last edited: