Carbon Fiber shafts change hit from butt to butt

tenfttall

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I learned from a friend with a Revo that it hits differently when the butt is changed.

I hadn't considered this before and haven't read too much about it. I tried a Revo
across five SugarTrees, a Rick Howard, DPK and South West. Every single one hit
differently. None of them hit as good as the Cynergy across these butts.

A Cynergy hits well on any butt I tried but I did find a magic pairing.

Cynergy with an Ebony Blue Grass. The shaft doesn't hit like carbon fiber anymore.
It feels like the best wooden shaft I've ever encountered. The difference is immediately noticeable and the sound is wonderful. So, it's #1 for me as a player.

#2 would be the Cynergy with my DPK butt and #3 is Cynergy with a Rosewood SugarTree.

Of course, all of these cue makers fashion wonderful, Maple shafts. But, I'm hooked
on the overall performance of carbon fiber now. I didn't ever expect to move to CF, and I expect to never switch back.

Anyone else care to share a similar search for the best pairing?

highkarate

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
mezz ignite with a wavy pin feels like a wood shaft to me. Better than any LD shaft I've ever hit with tbh.

couldnthinkof01

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Around here we call a pairing of butt to butt
a moon landing( tables a bit too close;))

I think im to stuupid to tell the difference.
If I want a different feel to the hit I switch the tip.

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
I play with the cynergy on a predator throne butt and it is noiyce. I agree it feels like an awesome wood shaft, one that is thinner & has a longer pro taper than you could get with a wood shaft without it being like a whip.

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My Revo hits differently on my Ikon butt just by moving the weight bolts forward, back, adding or removing them. So I’m not surprised any shaft hits differently with different butts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

LWD

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Which is why Becue is the only maker that crafts a complete cue (butt and shaft) out of the same carbon fiber material. It matters. And this is why Becue is the best cf cues IMO.

And if you want a fearless prediction, just as the Revo changed cuemaking by introducing the cf shaft, Becue will lead the way to the next major innovation when the other cue makers catch on to the idea of making both the butt and the shaft out of cf.

Last edited:

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Which is why Becue is the only maker that crafts a complete cue (butt and shaft) out of the same carbon fiber material. It matters. And this is why Becue is the best cf cues IMO.

I agree with you.

conetip

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

And if you want a fearless prediction, just as the Revo changed cuemaking by introducing the cf shaft, Becue will lead the way to the next major innovation when the other cue makers catch on to the idea of making both the butt and the shaft out of cf.

I was doing that in 05, making the shaft and handle from the same piece of material. Then in 06, used the same material, but made it as the core of the handle , instead of just the handle itself.
Neil

JL in ATL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I recently went to the Cynergy on a GB1 butt. By far my best hitting cue ever! Of course a day with Scott Lee might have helped just a little also...

Regards,

John

Coop1701

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have tried my Cynergy on 3 different butts. It felt pretty much the same. Currently using a Joss. To me the Joss is a little heavier near the joint. But I am playing great right now and can’t complain.

Thresh

I just came across this thread.

The cue ball does not know the cue butt even exist. I had a $50 Chinese knock off butt on my Becue prime m. Played amazing. It was basically balsa wood. Rubber grip didn't last very long though.

A butt only serves to provide balance point and grip, nothing else.

Doug

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For comparison I have tried my Jacoby CF shaft on several different cue butts. Each cue butt was either a known quality mass produced cue or from custom cue makers. All hit acceptably well but each hit and sounded distinctly different. One produced the sound and feel/hit I liked best. I wish it had been one of my favorite looking cue but it was a mid line cue. I'm very confident if I played in a noisy environment that muffled sound it would have been very hard to select which cue butt was preferred. IMO, there is no "best" when top line equipment is being compared. Only a preference of one over the other.

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My brother recently purchased an OB Fusion shaft. Wood shaft with Carbon Fiber core. It hits amazing. The Fusion has a very crisp sound and feel to it. Caveat..... he did order it with a hard tip.

Not at all like the all carbon shaft a fellow player let me try. Not even sure which one it was. I'll have to ask. But I wasn't extremely impressed.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just came across this thread.

The cue ball does not know the cue butt even exist. I had a $50 Chinese knock off butt on my Becue prime m. Played amazing. It was basically balsa wood. Rubber grip didn't last very long though.

A butt only serves to provide balance point and grip, nothing else.

It provides the hit feel also, although not quite as much as the tip and shaft, it's still there. When it comes to "performance" meaning how the cueball reacts to the hit, that is all shaft and tip. My Ned Morris cue has a great and different hit feel with shafts on it compared to other cues I play with. Not sure how it happens, but the Ned Morris has it's own feel with different shafts which is just nice, that I don't get from using other butts with the same shafts. I don't pocket balls any better with it, but the hit feel is as good as anything else I have ever tried.

bignick31985

Life Long Learner
Silver Member
An older Predator 8pt full splice cue I used with a 314-2 for years hits absolutely terribly with a Revo. Put a 314-2 on it and the greatness returns. With the Revo the feel is what is lacking. Very tinky. It shoots straight but the sound made it unbearable.

Same exact Revo shaft on my wifes Lucasi feels like a million bucks. No clue why. Very solid hit, feel and sound.

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It provides the hit feel also, although not quite as much as the tip and shaft, it's still there. When it comes to "performance" meaning how the cueball reacts to the hit, that is all shaft and tip. My Ned Morris cue has a great and different hit feel with shafts on it compared to other cues I play with. Not sure how it happens, but the Ned Morris has it's own feel with different shafts which is just nice, that I don't get from using other butts with the same shafts. I don't pocket balls any better with it, but the hit feel is as good as anything else I have ever tried.
I agree. The wood used makes a big difference. For instance, a butt made of Maple vs one made of Ebony.

Construction makes a difference. 4, 6, or 8 splice vs one of solid wood. My OB has the Strait Line core. It has to change the feel (feedback) of a cue. It's hard to compare my other cues to the OB. I would have to acquire a 314-2 for the OB to make a proper comparison to my Predator.

libtrucker

I Agree with the OP, I had a Cynergy cue, purchased when they just came out, the Walnut one. I loved the way it hit, and couldn't believe that I actually switched to Carbon Fiber (after talking a lot of shit)

Then I wanted to upgrade, and get something more custom. Picked up a beautiful Andy Gilbert that came with 2 shafts, which have never been chalked. I purchased a Cynergy shaft for it, and it just doesn't hit like the Cynergy cue I had before. Since then, I've tried some of my friends cues with CF shafts, and NOTHING has a hit as nice as that Walnut Cynergy.

Since then, I've picked up a beater, an old early 2000's Predator butt, and paired it up to a brand new Z shaft, and haven't put it down since. I have the Gilbert in a spare case at home, and am loving this predator. Dare I try screwing a CF to it to see what happens? IDK maybe but Id have to try it first, as I can't keep making it rain on my local cue guy....

Agent 99

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There is no BEST pairing.

It is individual preference.

However, I will caveat that by saying "I" "think" the Becue shafts play/feel "better" when they are on a Becue butt, which is also made out of carbon fiber.
I agree. The Becue carbon butt plays a role in producing the 'Becue hit.'