carbon fiber shafts manufacturing

dendweller

I've read some posts that seem to indicate you really shouldn't sand carbon fiber shafts. Some say it messes up the integrity of the material, breaks fibers from the weave etc.

On the other hand, I get the impression that some of the smaller manufacturers of carbon fiber shafts are sanding them to size when you order them.

How does this work with major manufacturers. For instance with a revo. I had a revo for a bit, it's didn't appear to have been sanding, seemed like it was made that way but I could be wrong.

In short, guess the question is, is sanding the part of all cf shaft manufacturing or are some shaft manufactured to the spec/diameter etc. that you are ordering. Is it depending on the type of cf tube the manufacturer starts off with?

Thanks

BarenbruggeCues

Unregistered User
Silver Member
I buy CF shafts with no finish............ dry sand them with 600 paper and wax them........... nice satin finish

Kim
carbon fiber... keil wood......... just fads....... no value added...... gimmicks that attract players that want magic instead of practice ................... stick with good old hard maple...............

Kim

Walker Custom Cues

Southern Cue Systems

http://www.facebook.com/groups/366326706736784/
Like Reply

So you buy a gimmick and pawn them off on your customers?

Which is it? A viable product? Or a gimmick?

conetip

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It depends on the way the shaft is manufactured, as to if it is sanded, or centreless ground like fishing rods are. Some weaving machines can produce product that does not require sanding or grinding.

whammo57

Kim Walker
Silver Member
So you buy a gimmick and pawn them off on your customers?

Which is it? A viable product? Or a gimmick?
well I had to see what all the hype was about....... so I made some up and played with one for a few months..... it seems that it didn"t make me a SVB....................... went back to me maple shaft....LOL

PracticeChampion

The raw shafts I sand, especially one had a slight ridge. Used 600 and then sanded complete up to 2500 and buffed out but I don't know about sanding to get to a certain size. It might work until you hit that threshold of it'll work or it'll break on first hard hit and no ideal what that limit is

BarenbruggeCues

Unregistered User
Silver Member
well I had to see what all the hype was about....... so I made some up and played with one for a few months..... it seems that it didn"t make me a SVB....................... went back to me maple shaft....LOL
So it's obvious you need to spend more time on the felt to pot balls.
Practicing for only a few months will make very few humans play as well as svb.
I used to think it was all "hype" also but soon discovered it was just another option for a tool used in the trade.

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If your working with CF shafts on a regular basis and know what you are doing, it's most likely gonna be fine, but I tell my customers to never use anything abrasive on their CF shafts (or wood shafts for that matter..)

dendweller

The raw shafts I sand, especially one had a slight ridge. Used 600 and then sanded complete up to 2500 and buffed out but I don't know about sanding to get to a certain size. It might work until you hit that threshold of it'll work or it'll break on first hard hit and no ideal what that limit is
So once you sand them to 2500, do you seal them?

dendweller

Does waxing solve that?
Maybe some types of weave don't stop shedding fibers once they are sanded.

Makes me wonder if the evolution of cf shafts will be that at some point they will either be manufactured to not require sanding or have some type of wrap or finish on them.

PracticeChampion

Makes me wonder if the evolution of cf shafts will be that at some point they will either be manufactured to not require sanding or have some type of wrap or finish on them.
McDermott defy are wrapped

whammo57

Kim Walker
Silver Member
So it's obvious you need to spend more time on the felt to pot balls.
Practicing for only a few months will make very few humans play as well as svb.
I used to think it was all "hype" also but soon discovered it was just another option for a tool used in the trade.
well.... you read a lot into things .... that are not there............ I have played pool for 50 years and have tried many many tips and shafts................... try not to be so dismissive of others and their knowledge and experience

dendweller

I find it interesting that all the companies that sell cf shafts warn you not to sand them or you risk breaking strands of fiber and messing with the structural integrity of the shaft.
Don't they all sand them as a part of the manufacturing process? And if so, aren't there broken strands hanging everywhere from the start?

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

They are already being manufactured with a finish on them. Most of the more expensive brands like Revo, Meucci, and Cuetec have a finish on them. The blanks I sell have a finish on them. The only problem I have seen is it is easy to sand through the finish when installing the joint and ferrule.