Carbon shaft joint question

Anybody building carbon shafts like to share the building on the joint end.
Anybody see a problem with this technique?

Attachments

• 20201227_211556_compress58.jpg
    20201227_211556_compress58.jpg
    296.9 KB · Views: 225
  • 20201227_211551_compress43.jpg
    20201227_211551_compress43.jpg
    271.1 KB · Views: 226
  • 20201227_211701_compress52.jpg
    20201227_211701_compress52.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 214

conetip

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What is in the pictures that you have shared? I am assuming that the ring at the back is a phenolic ring.

S.Vaskovskyi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So as you cannot make threads because of cf tube there are not so many options there. It is more about quality of your work ... how good = close to the tube taper at the joint end you make the insert, what material used, its length and such. Certain weight, balance, feel you want to get is the final goal.

conetip

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like to use 3 times the diameter as the glue length of the insert into the Carbon shaft. I have used Maple in the joint end and Balsa wood. Then I glue the insert into that. The threaded insert can be Brass, Al, Phenolic , what ever you want to use. For the radial threads, I just tap into the Maple or Phenolic. Just remove any release agent before trying to test fit or gluing.

LocalArtist

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wouldn’t bore the hole in the juma until it is all glued up, so you can account for any variation in the CF tube. I’m new to building cues though.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

whammo57

Kim Walker
Silver Member
I wouldn’t bore the hole in the juma until it is all glued up, so you can account for any variation in the CF tube. I’m new to building cues though.

I put the insert in and then drill and tap the hole

Kim

barryr

Registered

I fill with foam (rigid) but at that stage only an undersize hole has been drilled. Then drill and tap for the uni-loc insert

EL Picos

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I suppose to cut vibrations and hollow sound and that's why I don't see utility to use ridgid foam, that add probably a lot of stiffness and may be too much, thin roll wrapped tube tend to be on the stiff side, I don't know!!